Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alameda County CA. Sheriff's, how tough?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alameda County CA. Sheriff's, how tough?

Anyone know anything about the Alameda County Sheriff's? I've been told it's tough to get in, and the academy is real hard.(by guys who are with them).
    Others, officers with surrounding cities, say they're so desperate they take almost anyone. I know each dept. and academy has their pride? But does anyone know? It'll help me with where to try to get in. All the LE people I know say go for the cities, but if the county is easier.....?

I just graduated from the Evergreen (San Jose) Academy with 3 guys who had attended the ALCO SO Academy and either dropped out or failed out. All 3 graduated from Evergreen, but we're significantly less stressful, and they all already knew the game. I talked to them a lot because I had previously applied to ALCO SO and was pretty interested in working for them, but after hearing what they had to say, I am not any longer.

First off, their Academy IS tough, if people yelling in your face is "tough." It's a high-stress academy. That didn't appeal to me because I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt (USMC Recruit Training). Also, I think that kind of training for LEO's is kind of silly, espec. if you've been in the military. I mean, are you going to be talking to people on the street like that? I hope not.

Second, almost all of their instructors were deputies fresh from Santa Rita, with no patrol experience. So they're teaching car stops and prowler scenarios when they haven't done one since the Academy.

About the SO, their patrol division is rapidly dwindling as more and more cities in ALCO incorporate. That means you're stuck in court or in jail. One Union City PD officer spent FIVE YEARS working Santa Rita before he said "screw it" and lateralled to UCPD. I don't know how easy they are to get into, but I know they need bodies, NOW. They were looking to hire 50+ when I initially applied with them in November, it's probably more now.

A lot of agencies in ALCO send their recruits to the ALCO SO Academy, but a lot of them will send them to Evergreen (We had Union City, Newark, Fremont, Hayward and BART PD) or Oakland.

As far as ALCO Academy being more impressive to an agency, UCPD hired 5 non-affiliates from my class alone (including one who failed the ALCO academy) and with another round of hiring coming up, possibly 2 or 3 more. Not too bad for "softie" Evergreen.

If you REALLY, REALLY like working the jail, go for the SO, but if you want to work the streets, there's a lot more action in the cities.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

No academy is easy, and no department is easy to get into. Test with a whole bunch and take the first one that hires you. Worry about transferring later. If you want to see two CA academy class....long beach pd and golden west police academy, check out my site...www.****************************
      Good Luck and Test Well!
      Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
      6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Ummm... don't take the first job that comes along, unless it happens to come from your first choice.
        *Not a cop*

Comment

The academy is tough like Ismalibu mentioned..

the rest (FTO, etc.) is ok. You will have to do "time" in the jails before getting patrol and that is dependent on staffing......

and yes, a lot of agencies are shying away from ACSO due to their style of teaching / academy.
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the input. It relflects almost exactly what I've been hearing. I can certainly understand the need for the "high stress", but neccessary? I do know a couple of guys form Union City, and they did say they don't send anyone to AC anymore. Thanks again, I'll fill you in.

Comment

Hey Ismalibu, I see you just graduated from evergreen. Your profile says your not a police officer. Are you applying to any local agencies. I was just wondering what agencies are hiring and which ones came to your academy to recruit. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints
                Hey Ismalibu, I see you just graduated from evergreen. Your profile says your not a police officer. Are you applying to any local agencies. I was just wondering what agencies are hiring and which ones came to your academy to recruit. Thanks.
                In order not to hijack the thread, I'll send you a PM.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5562 users online. 290 members and 5272 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X