300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd

Does anyone know when the next registration for the NYPD is supposed to open?
    4/4/09

Lest We Forget

Pittsburgh Bureau of Police

Check out the link.

http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/fa...l#next_po_exam

The filing has passed but whenever they start the filing process, they usually put it up on the website. The next class is going in during the first week of July (New fiscal year for the city) Expect a filing date sometime after that.

Comment

I know that part. I am just wondering when the next one is supposed to start. So your sayin sometime in the beginning of July?
      4/4/09

Lest We Forget

Comment

The "05" class is getting ready to graduate next month (July 13th to be exact). The city's fiscal new year starts July 01. Normally, NYPD start to put out a test anywhere after the start of the new academy. Look for an announcement between July and August. They hire very quickly now once an exam is given (Average between 3 to 6 months from the test. By the way, it took me 3 years after the test before I was hired).

My advice to you is look at other municipalities in NYC as well (MTA police, NYC Sherrif, Port Authority PD, Amtrak PD Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority PD, etc). I'm not saying NYPD is a bad choice, I just believe that you should always have more than one option that will benefit you in the long run.

If you have any questions pertaining to the academy itself, (How is it?, Is it hard?, What should I be doing for the PT portion of it?) feel free to ask me.

Comment

hey akatrk. i just took the nypd exam yesterday and i pretty sure i did well. but lets assume i come out with a score in the early 90's. should i take it again till i get a higher score or stay on deferment? i dont get any points because i live in jersey. and i have 30 more credits to go for school. advice pertaining to anything else is also appreciated. thanks.

Comment

You could take the test again, but in all honesty, I wouldn't. A.P.D. (Applicant Processing Division) will just recycle your name until you get the credits that you need. Take the deferrment.

Don't worry about the residency points. Just because your in N.J. doesn't mean a thing. If anything, when they do call you (and trust me, they most certainly will) when you get sworn in, just make sure that you have established residency in either Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Rochester, Nassau, Putnam, or Other (other meaning Other five boroughs in NYC) counties. If that's hard to remember, take the first letter of each county and use it as an acronym. SWORN PO. There you go, you just got your first acronym that's teaches you where you can live as a NYC police officer (trust me, you will get sick of all the acronyms you'll learn in the academy).

A lot of recruits get in trouble, or "Jammed Up" as we say, because they lied about where they lived. The P.C. has actually fired several recruits because they lied about their residency.

Comment

Originally posted by akatrk
              You could take the test again, but in all honesty, I wouldn't. A.P.D. (Applicant Processing Division) will just recycle your name until you get the credits that you need. Take the deferrment.

Don't worry about the residency points. Just because your in N.J. doesn't mean a thing. If anything, when they do call you (and trust me, they most certainly will) when you get sworn in, just make sure that you have established residency in either Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Rochester, Nassau, Putnam, or Other (other meaning Other five boroughs in NYC) counties. If that's hard to remember, take the first letter of each county and use it as an acronym. SWORN PO. There you go, you just got your first acronym that's teaches you where you can live as a NYC police officer (trust me, you will get sick of all the acronyms you'll learn in the academy).

A lot of recruits get in trouble, or "Jammed Up" as we say, because they lied about where they lived. The P.C. has actually fired several recruits because they lied about their residency.
              So tell me how is the academy? Where is a good place to live with a family?

Comment

What is the job standard test like? Is it hard? How about the academy? Hard not too hard? This would be my first time in any police academy. Im really looking forward to it.

Also, if you get called and start the academy, and i move to new york, i dont have much money, do they have temp housing like pittsburgh and the pa state police do in case you fail out of the academy?
                4/4/09

Lest We Forget

Comment

well looks like there's no point in taking the exam over since the arbitration is through and they might lower the starting salary for recruits to $25,000. im predicting shortages. but are you saying that i should find a place of my own in ny by the time i get sworn in? i hear of some nj guys just using a relative or friend's mailing address. well i guess you run the risk of getting caught then. is there anywhere you would recommend taking up residency in? i was born in queens but raised in jersey. so i dont exactly prefer to live in one of the boroughs unless for last resort (financial wise), even though i have close friends and family in queens. thanks for the advice akatrk.

Comment

For all who are interested in a career as a police officer in the NYPD, here is the latest in the contract talks. The once starting salary of $36,878/yr for a police officer has been negotiated down to a starting salary of a little over $25,000/yr. As an attempt in not wanting to sound cynical (and I'm trying very hard not to be) you have to ask yourself a question. Could you secure a job in something else without the requirement of a degree and earn the same salary if not more? If the answer is yes, then I advise you to look elsewhere for a law enforcement job or any job in the matter.

The City has negotiated a two year, 10.25% in total, raise for police officers. Along with the contract agreement, police officers will give back a "Personal Leave" day and have agreed to allow 15 instead of 10 tour changes from your normal tour of duty before you can collect overtime compensation for the tour change. The question still up in the air is whether or not the time it takes to reach top pay (5 years) has increased to 6 or to 7 years to earn top pay.

Comment

wait...

oh God please tell me thats sarcasm... $25,000 haha. I'm the the quest program from the 06 class.
                      "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid
                        oh God please tell me thats sarcasm... $25,000 haha. I'm the the quest program from the 06 class.
                        Nope, You're screwed.
                        Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

i posted below the story....
                          Last edited by skatr5435; 06-29-2005, 08:55 PM.
                          4/4/09

Lest We Forget

Comment

F it...

i was real excited about being a cop in NYC. oh well....

... south carolina here I come!
                            "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Arbitrator awards cops salary raise, but cuts starting pay

BY SEAN GARDINER
                              STAFF WRITER

June 29, 2005

An arbitrator awarded the city's approximately 22,500 patrol officers each a retroactive raise of about $13,800 covering the two years ending in the summer of 2004.

But future cops, "the unborns" as other officers call them, will see starting salaries almost $10,000 lower than they are now.

Under the binding decision rendered Tuesday, new officers will be paid at an annual rate of $25,100 while they're in the academy. The salary jumps to $32,700 upon completion of the six months of training. Combined, first-year cops now will be paid a base of $28,900.

At the other end of the scale, the maximum salary for a patrol officer will increase by almost $5,500, to $59,588, meaning officers hired now would make about $64,000 more over a 20-year career than under the previous pay scale.

The long-awaited decision has been closely watched by the city and labor leaders, as bitter talks over both teachers' and firefighters' contracts drag on. The retroactive raise of 10.25 percent covering Aug. 1, 2001 to July 31, 2004 is of special interest, as the Bloomberg administration had wanted to offer 5 percent over three years.

Though officers hired under the new contract could eventually earn more than those currently on the job, the president of the officers' union said the change in starting salaries will exacerbate problems attracting much-needed candidates in the face of high retirement and resignation rates.

"The solution to that problem is simple -- salary. Pay us the wages and you won't have these problems," said Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association.

Paul Browne, a police department spokesman, refuted that assertion, saying that the NYPD has met and exceeded recruitment goals for the last 3
                              Last edited by skatr5435; 06-29-2005, 08:55 PM.
                              4/4/09

Lest We Forget

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4044 users online. 222 members and 3822 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X