300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Cops Vs. College

Im trying to make my decision within the next couple days, so im just looking for a little feed back. Would you rather hire someone with a BS in Criminal Justice or 4 years in the Marine Corps. If you say 4 years in the Marine Corps would you rather hire someone who was an MP or who served in the Infantry?
    Thanks
    Last edited by SR-25; 06-23-2005, 01:06 AM.

Hmm...kinda on both ends of the spectrum. If I was the employer, I'd go with the Marine.
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." - Adlai E Stevenson, Jr.

Comment

Kinda of a hard one, I went into the Corps and It certainly has helped me in my career. Since then I have gone to college. The Corps is a great mark on your resume for a LEO job (lots of jarheads in LE) but if you want to move up within the ranks of LEO at some point you'll want a degree. Makes it easier to move up. College will still be there after the Corps and for most departments a degree is not needed.

As for Grunt or MP. MP certainly gives you more experience working in law enforcement work but as a grunt, you get a lot of leadership experience and training. That said, military experience is what is looked at, not what job you had while you were in service.

Besides any Marine "job" would get you more respect than any airforce, navy or army job for sure.
      Last edited by CarCop; 06-23-2005, 04:20 AM.

Comment

LOL, come on now Jar. Their are a lot of jobs in the military. If you are qualified with a high enough asvab score, why go into the infantry unless you really want to. How about avionics, EOD, cryptology, medic, etc. Any of those things are valuable skills. I'm sure the departments all love their Marine grunts and I have a whole lot of buddies who were Marine grunts but that doesn't mean that you have to run around in the sand with a rifle to get any respect. Heck, the job I did in the Navy demands quite a bit of respect in the right circles but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Originally posted by CarCop
        Besides any Marine "job" would get you more respect than any airforce, navy or army job for sure.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Marine Coprs

Definetly Marines. If your in the Marines, that says something about your integrity, respect, leadership, dedication, honor and courage. With that said, you can study for a degree, you can't study to be a Marine. In the end it will both help you out in LE, and in the general work world.

Comment

How old are you?
            My take, why not do both? If i had to do it all over again I would have went to college first then, enlisted in the Corps. It may sound like a long way off, but trust me it flies.
            If you're 18 plus 4 years of college = 22, add another 4 years of military service now you're 26. Still young to get into law enforcment ( I came on at 29 eleven years ago). Now you have an education and life (military)experience, what employer would not look at that favorably. You have the best of both worlds IMO.
            Now if you can't do both and can only pick one, then the Marine Corps of course.
            The decision is ultimately up to you though. Good luck.
            Ok I just saw by your profile you're 18. Plenty of time.
            Last edited by BlackKnight; 06-23-2005, 09:11 AM.
            "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

BlackKnight makes a good point. You may want to talk to a recruiter about this but I would consider college then the Marines right after that. They used to pay for college if you signed a promissary note to join up right after you got your degree, I'm sure they still do that. Also, you get your four year degree then become an Officer in the Marines. When it comes time to finish your service, you'll have a four year degree, military experience, and a ton of supervisory and leadership experience. You'll be able to go to just about any agency you want.

Gibbmusic
              Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

I don

Comment

The last two posters made good points, but if you go to college first get in the ROTC program, that will get you the leadership experiance, as well as pay for you schooling. I just did it through the Army ROTC and it was a blast. Oh I would not go into the military to do what you want to do in civillian life, unless you are sure that is all you want to do. They will train you in any skill that you want so you might as well make it something that you can use when you get out if the LE does not work out. Good luck!

Comment

I'm not going to slam the Corp. as I have the utmost respect for all the people I have met who have been in both officer and enlisted but don't think that it is the only service. Every service has their strong and weak points and leadership experience can be gained in a whole lot of different ways in the military besides infantry. The guys are dead on, on getting your degree 1st though. If you have the ability to do it, get your 4yr degree and become an officer. It will make you a better person and hey, if you are a bit crazy you could even fly jets or lead a Navy SEAL team, etc. Just go out there and see what the different services offer and look at what you'd like to do and learn in your time in and make your decision off of that. Like I said, the USMC is a great place, but it is not for everyone.
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

pkagel,
                      I understand where your're coming from. I am biased towards the Corps, even though I also did 8 years reserve as a SeaBee. All the branches have good MOS's, and I would suggested joining any military of his choosing. But since he asked about the Corps specifically, I figured he had already made that decision and kept the discussion on that branch.
                      Last edited by BlackKnight; 06-23-2005, 09:43 AM.
                      "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

My Two Cents

I tried college right out of high school. It didn't work. I wasn't used to having to make all those decisions on my own. (God that sounds bad) I went 3 semesters, GPA 0.75. Not good. I had to do something. I knew I wanted to be a cop. I joined the Marine Corps at 20 years of age. Best thing I ever did. I started as an E-1. I was the dirt below the dog $hit. I became an MP. Over the four years I was in, I promoted through to corporal (a leadership position), Averaged 6 civilian law enforcement training courses a year, went to Japan and Okinawa, Climed Mt. Fuji, found my niche in police work (Traffic Crash Investigation), and learned more about myself than I could have anywhere else.

I told you that so I can tell you this--

I went back to college after the Marines. My GPA 3.75. Vice President's List, President's List, Academy Honor Graduate.

I believe it was my time as a Marine that guides me today. I take pride in what I do, I take pride in the way I act, I take pride in my personal appearance.

This may sound conceted, but I have my award picture from earning Battallion Marine of the Quarter next to my door. I glance at it every morning before I leave the house, Just in case I need a reminder.

Do the Marines, you can take college classes while you are in (they encourage it).

Okay, so that turned into about 12 cents. Keep the change.
                        If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

The question should be life vs. death. Brains vs. brain wash. LOL! But seriously my personal experiences with Marines have been horrible (not all just the ones I met). So I would hire someone with a Bachelor
                          Last edited by LvNjPoles; 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM. Reason: My horrible spelling.

Comment

Why dont you explain that statement. Im sure a lot of Marines want to know what you ment by that!

Comment

me too

I would love to hear your explanation of why Marines are not right. What kind of stupid comment is that, and what makes you think you have the right to judge a Marine? This is the stupidity we are dealing with, and your one of the WEAK ones who isn't cut out for the Marines, although it would knock that stupid attitude off your face!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3347 users online. 205 members and 3142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X