Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another question directed towards FL LEOs. Reference retirement!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question directed towards FL LEOs. Reference retirement!

If you are in FRS (Florida Retirement System) and you are with a PD for 2- 4yrs then switch to another department, does your retirement continue?

Example ....you are with Lee CO for 5 yrs then start with Hillsborogh CO for 20 yrs. Is that 25yrs or only 20 in FRS? I read up on the FRS, my understanding is you earn 3.0% (towards your five highest yrs salary) each yr. In additon, you are vested after 6 and can retire at any age after 25yrs.

So after 25yrs you would get 75% of your five highest yrs salary. BUT does it have to be 25yrs at the same department??? Or even if you did 3yrs one place and 3 yrs another is that 6yrs to make you totally vested??

Hopefully someone can make sense of my rambling and answer this.

THANKS

Retirement

That is one great thing about being in the Florida retirement system....your pension does follow you. Here in Pennsylvania, we have a state retirement system too....but if you leave a department after say, 8 years, you have to start over from scratch. It makes it nice, that's why there is so much "job hopping" in Florida. There are some departments however that do have their own retirement system provided by the city that will not take in the state system, so you will lose those years. Usually those departments have nice benefits, and even a different retirment, such as 20 and out, etc.. They are nice to be on, but again, if you left that department for one that is in the Florida retirement system, you would lose those years too.
    "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

I have a question concerning FL retirement. Does the top 5 years include OT, or do they strictly look as base salary?
      sigpic

Comment

Salary

The total salary you make in those 5 years, includes OT, longevity, if any. Here in Pa., it's the last three years you work, so everyone volunteers for every overtime detail their last three years to up their salaries as much as possible.
        "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6275 users online. 332 members and 5943 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X