300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLET Programs in NC Community Colleges

Has anyone been through the BLET program in any of the North Carolina community colleges? I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte region and would appreciate any info on the BLET program, especially any info pertaining to the one at Central Piedmont Community College. Also, how hard is it once your BLET certified to get a job in law enforcement.

Also, is there any LEO's in Mecklenburg County that could give me some advise. I currently am a NYC police officer with nine years on the job. The problem I'm facing is finding an agency who will sponsor me for the 96 hrs of the BLET required for out-of state transfers. Anyone know of any agencies that would be willing to hire an out-of-state transferee?
    Last edited by akatrk; 06-19-2005, 04:08 PM.

Went through CPCC BLET program 5-6 years ago. It was ok. Now I hear its more military style, which is fine. I recently had to redo it get my cert back, and went to Stanley County Community College (only place offering night classes). THe class style was more laid back, which was fine be me, after workign 8 hours all day, the last thing I want is someone yelling at me is a class I paid to go to. Between the two, I feel that the instructors at Stanley were way better than CPCC. I learned alot more from them, even after being on the street several years ago. If you have to do night class, do Stanley. Its a haul up there, but the education is superior to none. Also, I think all the classes after mine are at the new satelite campus, which is half the distance I had to drive to main campus (figures). Now for my 2 year degree, at the time, CPCC had the BEST criminal justice instructors around. Unfortunately, they didn't teach BLET as well.

Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department does alot of recruiting from up north for some reason, and they would put you through their full academy anyway (They have their own). They pay about the best around, but will set you up in a heart beat if it means saving their *** over yours.
    Hope that helps, and good luck.
    Last edited by Interceptor; 06-19-2005, 04:26 PM.
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

Comment

Originally posted by akatrk
      Has anyone been through the BLET program in any of the North Carolina community colleges? I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte region and would appreciate any info on the BLET program, especially any info pertaining to the one at Central Piedmont Community College. Also, how hard is it once your BLET certified to get a job in law enforcement.

Also, is there any LEO's in Mecklenburg County that could give me some advise. I currently am a NYC police officer with nine years on the job. The problem I'm facing is finding an agency who will sponsor me for the 96 hrs of the BLET required for out-of state transfers. Anyone know of any agencies that would be willing to hire an out-of-state transferee?

Won't your NYC certification transfer to NC?

Ooops, I really should read post more carfully before responding lol.
      Be sure you're right, then go ahead
      Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
      If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Negative k. I still have to do the 96 hours or go through an entire academy again. The problem is that most of the municipalities in NC want a person who has gone through a BLET program in NC. It's been a little discouraging.

Comment

I think the Monroe PD might sponsor you for the short course. I can tell you that CMPD aslo might and put you through there short course, I know they take laterals from within the state but I am not sure about out of state. This would be a good time because they just got approval to hire 60 more officers. Another possibilty is looking into the DOC Surveillance Officer position they are the Probation/Parole street officer.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Nybyrne, I'll call Monroe PD tomorrow and see what happens. Interceptor, thanks for the heads up on Stanely. I'll look into that tomorrow as well.

Comment

Call a recruiter with CMPD. We are hiring big-time, and we have the best pay/benefits in the state. I am not sure as to whether or not they'll make you go through our whole academy or not, but I'd guess so. However, you'll get full pay while in our academy, as opposed to paying out of your pocket to go to some community college BLET course. Easy math. Check out www.cmpd.org . Hope this helps, good luck!
              Aggression will save you when caution won't.
              -Kent Anderson

Comment

As far as jobs in Mecklenburg County, CMPD pays the best by far and pays you while in training. The towns and the Sheriff's Office offer competitive starting pay, but the pay drops behind fast. Most deputies I have met do not retire at the published top pay because they never reach it. The towns outside of Mecklenburg generally pay even less. I have a friend who works for a town in Gaston County, and he makes literally half my salary. Gaston County PD is another good department but I do not know about their recruiting.

I have worked for CMPD for 16 years and am verry happy here.

Comment

My agency, Concord PD is just northeast of Charlotte and we pay sponsorships in BLET. I went to BLET at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College and it's not a bad program at all. Lots of good instructors that are respected members of local agencies. The main guy there, Mr. Rummage, is a ***** and he tried to get me fired over a personal issue shortly after I graduated, but don't let that discourage you from an otherwise good school.

CMPD is definately the highest paying around here, but it does have its downsides. First of all, you are barely police in Charlotte, you can't chase unless it's a "serious" felony (they will hang an officer for the slightest hint of an unauthorized chase). Heck, they won't even assist us when we chase through their jurisdiction, all they can do is block intersections and watch the real police ride by. The DA's office down there is horrible, expect a majority of your cases to be dismissed without leave. I'm not knocking CMPD officers, they have some top quality guys there that are unfortunately held back by a political department policy.

Here at Concord PD, the starting pay is less than CMPD, but we have 6 month evals and you'll move up in pay quickly. My best friend is a CMPD officer that started at about the same time I did (4 years ago). He started out at over 5k more a year than me, but I've now closed the gap to less than a 1k difference. Our policies are a little less restrictive than CMPD (i.e. our taser policy is much more liberal) and we all get take home patrol cars. The city here is growing fast (I hope you like NASCAR, expect to work with 200,000 drunks twice a year) and our department is growing with it. We are currently building a $10 million + headquarters that will be completed next year. If you are interested, drop me a message and I'll give you our recruiter's contact info.

Concord PD website: http://www.ci.concord.nc.us/police_0.asp
                  It's a little outdated and weak, but you can check it out.

Gibbmusic
                  Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbmusic
                    First of all, you are barely police in Charlotte, you can't chase unless it's a "serious" felony (they will hang an officer for the slightest hint of an unauthorized chase). Heck, they won't even assist us when we chase through their jurisdiction, all they can do is block intersections and watch the real police ride by.
                    Hey tough guy, why don't you come down to the hood for a while, and we'll see who the "real police" are. Chasing anything that looks at you crosswise doesn't make you a "real" cop, hero. Oh by the way, feel free to chase your suspects down here--we'll be there to catch 'em when they jump&run in our area!

On a more serious note, you're right about our DA's office. They like to keep a nice high conviction rate, so they offer deals to anything they're not 100% sure to win, and they dismiss the ones who don't take a deal.
                    Aggression will save you when caution won't.
                    -Kent Anderson

Comment

Jeez, a little touchy there, aren't we? If you'll notice, I wasn't slamming CMPD officers, just the policies there. My best friend is a CMPD officer and I have a lot of friends down there. Most of them (that don't have an ego problem) will tell you that they feel like they aren't allowed to be the real police most of the time. It's not just chases, but also the use of force policy and the tendency to end up in IA everytime the media or the public let out a yelp. Oh, and to fire you up a bit more...I've been involved in two chases that ended down there with jump and runs...and CMPD (and me) is 0-2 on catching them. One even involved Snoopy, which wasn't much help that particular night.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I respect CMPD officers more than most agencies around here. I was just giving the guy my opinion of things down there.

Gibbmusic

Comment

With a few exceptions, CMPD officers are great. Way I see it we are all brothers. Some feel that if you aren't CMPD, you aren't a real cop, but thats drilled into them in their training academy. The problem isn't the officers, its the politics and the leadership.

Sure, you deal with the homies in the hood, but whack one of them one time to many and see how fast IA is all up in your grill. You need a chief who will back you up, not hang you out to dry.

Those are just my observations from the news and conversations with friends who are CMPD.

Bottom line, we are all brothers, and wether I like you personally or not, I'm gonna have your back when it hits the fan, and you damn well better have mine.

Off topic, you guys still got that FLIR car? that thing was cool.
                        "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

Comment

Im from Florida looking to move to NC. Are the local agencies or sheriff's offices more respected and the better places to work? Down here SO's are king.

How are the academies run up there? Do you have a state academy where everyone goes to get certified (i saw some justice academy??) or does every county have their own through the colleges?

any help would be great.

Comment

Up here city departments are usually held in higher regard than sheriff offices. Typically SOs are starting points and most of the time you have to do several years in the jail or courtroom before you can be considered for the road. Even on the road, SOs typically only concentrate their patrol in the unincorporated parts of the county, even though they have powers in the whole county. Some SOs are more prestigeous than others however and I can't speak for many SOs since I've worked city my entire career. I have good friends at the local sheriff's department and while the quality of officers are about the same, I personally wouldn't want to put in 5 years in the jail before being moved. Also most city departments here pay higher than the local SOs.

As far as the academy goes, it's a little different than Florida (I'm looking at moving down there so I'm a little familiar with both states). Up here there is a state required ciricullum (spelling?) that all academies must at least adhere to. Any rookie school can go above and beyond the required hours or courses, but they must at least meet the standard. You have probably about 50+ BLET (basic law enforcement training) programs in the state spread out among the community colleges. Some are held to higher standards than others, but most are about the same. Then you have cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, and Winston Salem (there may be others) that have their own academies. These academies teach pretty much the same thing as the local community colleges however they go longer to teach specialized skills (MDT and other city specific stuff) and are typically more "high stress" academies.

The justice academy that you saw is an excellent academy run by the state that teaches the BLET program. I'm not sure how you get into that academy, but if you can it's top notch. I know that people that are in the "Police Corps" program go there for their training. The Police Corps is a scholarship program that pays for a students college if they promise to work for a particular agency for 3 or 4 years.

If you have questions about any local agencies or BLET programs in the Charlotte area, feel free to ask here or PM me.

I hope this helps,
                            Gibbmusic

Comment

Wow that really helps alot....thanks. Where in florida are you looking to go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3961 users online. 255 members and 3706 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X