300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, looks like I'm screwed...

It came up in my background interview that my wife, (who has a disabling, chronic pain disease), has, in the past, and may continue to smoke marijuana. We're in California, which has a medical marijuana law. She had a club card, (doc's prescription), and plans on getting another one soon. I admitted smoking it in the past but the last time was in 1997 and I'm totally against using intoxicants now. My wife's on several prescription medications and is unable to work. I really wanted this job. I felt like police work was my calling. I'm 45, with no college degree, got laid off in January after 17 yrs in telecommunications. I'd thought about law enforcement for years and when I got laid off I figured, well, this is my opportunity.

The Deputy stopped the interview as soon as the issue came up and said that until we clear this up there's no point in going on. He wants a signed and notarized statement from her and her doctors stating that she no longer uses it and will not use it. I know she'll sign but I also know she won't stop using it. She has no problem with lying like that but I'm not that kind of person. She say's I'm "too honest". I'm begining to think she may be right. I though that honesty and "integrity" were some of the qualities that would make me a good officer but now it looks like that's what's going to keep me out. I'm so disappointed. I'm sure it'll be the same at any other dept. I'm pretty upset about this and not sure what I'll do.

Well in my honest opinion...your wife/family comes first before EVERYTHING so if it's a DQ which I suspect it will be then so be it
    Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by chimploaf
      It came up in my background interview that my wife, (who has a disabling, chronic pain disease), has, in the past, and may continue to smoke marijuana. We're in California, which has a medical marijuana law. She had a club card, (doc's prescription), and plans on getting another one soon. I admitted smoking it in the past but the last time was in 1997 and I'm totally against using intoxicants now. My wife's on several prescription medications and is unable to work. I really wanted this job. I felt like police work was my calling. I'm 45, with no college degree, got laid off in January after 17 yrs in telecommunications. I'd thought about law enforcement for years and when I got laid off I figured, well, this is my opportunity.

The Deputy stopped the interview as soon as the issue came up and said that until we clear this up there's no point in going on. He wants a signed and notarized statement from her and her doctors stating that she no longer uses it and will not use it. I know she'll sign but I also know she won't stop using it. She has no problem with lying like that but I'm not that kind of person. She say's I'm "too honest". I'm begining to think she may be right. I though that honesty and "integrity" were some of the qualities that would make me a good officer but now it looks like that's what's going to keep me out. I'm so disappointed. I'm sure it'll be the same at any other dept. I'm pretty upset about this and not sure what I'll do.
      Whatever you do, let them put you out of the process...... don't back out yourself just on him saying "there's no point in going on." Ultimately, he is not the one that makes the decision on you getting hired or not. He may be giving you great advice to get you on the right track, but don't go withdrawing based solely on that incident alone.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, family does come first. I made a vow and I intend to live up to it no matter what happens. She really depends on me now. This job would have really helped us out.

I called the deputy but got his voice mail. I told him what she said and left my callback number. We'll see if he calls back.

On a side note, when he was interviewing me he asked what I expected from the academy. He seemed surprised when I told him I though the physical aspect would be the most difficult. From things he said, and things I've heard from others since this whole proccess started, I get the impression that they have a very difficult time finding people with good writing/spelling skills. I find this pretty surprising but it reminds me of my father, who always stressed good writing and spelling. (He was a fire chief).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10613 users online. 490 members and 10123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X