300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuma Arizona P.D. Polygraph

Last edited by rugermk2; 04-17-2007, 11:16 PM.
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
    -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    -- Hemingway

It's hard not to take the 1st offer...especially when you don't know about the 2nd one ever coming....but I would go with the STATE job. I don't know anything about Yuma PD (have family that live out in the "Foothills" area) but I don't think I'd enjoy working for a city that size...at least not out in the middle of nowhere like that. A small city on the coast or in the mountains (Flagstaff) I could handle...

Like you said, the STATE job will have the opportunity to move around the state. That's a HUGE plus in my book. If you get tired of one place, you can always move to another. I'm sure it really helps keep the burnout factor to a minimum...
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

DPS hasn't given raises in a loooooooooooooooong time..... Also you may well be assigned to some armpit post like a res. or some other less desireable spot. The good news is, after you are sworn, you can go to any agency you want, they are all hiring. So I guess you can give either one a shot, and if you don't like it, bail out.

BTW, by buddy that works DPS would tell you, "Do you want to be a boy in blue, or a man in tan?"

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
        BTW, by buddy that works DPS would tell you, "Do you want to be a boy in blue, or a man in tan?"
        LOL -- That's a good one. I have to say though, I prefer the blue uniforms over the tan ones.

Thanks for the input,

Brandon
        Last edited by rugermk2; 02-17-2007, 09:20 PM.
        He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
        -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        -- Hemingway

Comment

You won't go wrong with either agency, and like we talked about earlier, you can always change after you get certified.

Best of luck.

Comment

DPS just got a raise and is now starting at 40 and some change. Most cities offer better benefits though.

Comment

Someone else mentioned the "taking the first offer," idea. It is really hard to pass the first offer. Another thing to consider is.... Do you want to be a POLICE Officer or a Collision Investigations Officer. If you like the mental challenge that comes from investigating traffic collisions (and writing lots of tickets) the DPS job would be for you. On the other hand, if you want to go to work and have a different goal everyday (capture the local drug dealer, recover the missing child, take the abusive husband to jail, etc, etc, etc), go be a police officer.

If you don't like the workload of a police officer, then go be a DPS Officer (no offense intended).
              If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

traffic or domestic

I'm not really interested in domestic squabbles, but I love driving.

Because I can see myself being a trooper or a cop, I would like to say that I'll take the first offer. However, I don't want to sell out that quick and I am really interested in the take-home car offered by DPS

I guess I shouldn't get too worked up about it, I might fail my remaining tests for either department though I can't think of any reason why. I guess I just want to think this through thoroughly now so that I can be wholly prepared for any eventuality.

Good advice all 'round.
                Thanks,
                Brandon
                Last edited by rugermk2; 02-17-2007, 09:21 PM.
                -- Nietzsche

-- Hemingway

Comment

DPS pay hike

Originally posted by Mgrif
                  DPS just got a raise and is now starting at 40 and some change.
                  I imagine you have reliable information on this. I'm not questioning your assertion. Try as I might, I can't find any hard facts on it, however. DPS just updated their website, but it still says officers start at $37K. From what I've heard it was a temporarily budget bill put through for this year. I don't know if it is permanent yet.
                  Thanks,
                  Brandon
                  Last edited by rugermk2; 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM.
                  -- Nietzsche

-- Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by rugermk2
                    I imagine you have reliable information on this. I'm not questioning your assertion. Try as I might, I can't find any hard facts on it, however. DPS just updated their website, but it still says officers start at $37K. The sector chief for Yuma also gave me the $40+ number, though. From what I've heard it was a temporarily budget bill put through for this year. I don't know if it is permanent yet. I'm not really worried about it, though because YPD starts at $39K, so they are similar enough not to really factor into my equation.

Thanks,
                    Brandon

His information is correct. The raise takes effect in July (iirc). They are also now allowing out of state laterals and not making you start off at officer one level pay (this is a new policy). The new starting salary is 40K even. It is not a temporary thing. It is a result of some policy changes made from the new director (Vanderpool). Oh yeah... They also now tell you where you will be stationed before you accept the job. This means you won't get stuck in the middle of nowhere like Grey Mountain unless you ask for it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4518 users online. 203 members and 4315 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X