300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to wear for written test?

Quick question. I'm guessing making a first impression is important, even though I'm likely not going to be noticed out of the hundreds of applicants. Any suggestions on whether I should go with nusiness casual or a suit for the written test? It's an all-day event (I think 8 AM - 4 PM) so I'm leaning towards business casual.

Also, I have a black suit with very faint pin stripes -- not traditional enough or should I be OK?

Looks like I need to make it through the written and I should be OK for the rest. No background besides a couple speeding tickets in my life, BA degree, involvement in campus internship program, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Brett S.

Almost all at my written test had a suit on......no jewelry except a wedding ring,no facial hair,and a haircut
    Leave Space Empty

Comment

Glad I asked. Suit it is.

Any opinions on very faint pin stripes on a black suit?

Thanks,
      Brett

Comment

What to wear for written tests

I've taken probably about 7 or 8 written tests at this point. Out of all of them I have seen very few in a suit. Most people just dressed casually. I just wore a polo shirt and some khaki dockers. With the polo shirt I was dressed better then 90% of the people. Hope that helps.

Comment

I agree with normy. Most are there just looking for a job. Very few are actually serious about starting a career. Probably only 5-10 percent are really serious. Polo, Khakis, Decent Shoes, No Facial hair, and a consevative, fresh haircut. I recommend a two-day old haircut (unless it's a high-and-tight) for any scheduled contact with the agency.
          If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Last edited by ngor324; 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses, everybody. I think I'll be going with the suit, thinking it'll be better to make a good impression, regardless of what others may be wearing.

Looking forward to the process, this is only the first department of many I'll be applying with.

Thanks again,
              Brett

Comment

Last edited by ngor324; 11-07-2005, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Florg
                  Quick question. I'm guessing making a first impression is important, even though I'm likely not going to be noticed out of the hundreds of applicants. Any suggestions on whether I should go with nusiness casual or a suit for the written test? It's an all-day event (I think 8 AM - 4 PM) so I'm leaning towards business casual.

Also, I have a black suit with very faint pin stripes -- not traditional enough or should I be OK?

Looks like I need to make it through the written and I should be OK for the rest. No background besides a couple speeding tickets in my life, BA degree, involvement in campus internship program, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Brett S.
                  This is the only part of the phase you can get away without wearing a suit. Infact, once you take the test usually they will tell you "if you get further in the process, from now on you wear a suit."

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by ngor324
                    What department are you applying with?

Good 'ol Portland Police Bureau.

Comment

Originally posted by Florg
                      Good 'ol Portland Police Bureau.
                      I was looking into applying with them. They help with relocation as well as offer assistance in owning a house.

As for wearing a suit for the written, I wouldn't. Maybe for a Federal position, but not local. I took my writtens in Detroit and wore a pair of dress pants, some dress shoes, and a decent button up. One numbnuts that was there wore a jersey and a hat.

Comment

You can never go wrong with a suit. Personally, I wore khakis and a button up shirt. Like someone else said, even with that, I was dressed better than 95% of the people in there. From that point on, they usually told us, or suggested what we should wear.
                        sigpic

Comment

less than 40 applicants = suit and tie

More than 100 applicants = Khaki and dress shirt.

visit www.***************************** for additional help.
                          Good Luck and Test Well!
                          Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                          6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

watching a episode..." in living color".....MEN ON FILM.....
                            you can get a idea froma male point of view what to wear.........

www.schackdaddy.com
                            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

The best I have seen so far is the guy who came in dressed like Jeff Foxworthy...

But seriously, I would say to wear a black or grey suit along with a solid color conservative dress shirt for all of your appointments with the department.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9001 users online. 381 members and 8620 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X