300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison Wi Police Dept.

Looking for more info on the Madision PD then what is listed on their website. I have filled out the application for the department and hopefully I will be able to take the test...but I am also looking for some more info on the department.
    Thanks,
    cincinnaticj7
    I think girls go after me for my Jeep

From what I know, it's a very professional department hampered only by the ultra-liberal politics of the city.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I go to college up in Madison and have done some ride-alongs with some of their officers and know one of them relatively well (no, not because of college shenanigans . The dept seems to be very well run and is VERY diverse, officer wise. I, personally, would love to work for them, and am strongly considering it in the future. I'm sorry I can't offer you more info about them, but I do think you have chosen a great agency to apply for. The only drawback might be dealing with lots of rowdy college students, but im sure that keeps the officers on their feet. Its true, it's a very political town, but I do not feel that it greatly infringes on the MPD and their ability to do their jobs. The city and surrounding suburbs are also a very nice part of WI and would be a great place to work and live. I do know that Madison has its own police academy that applicants will attend, but thats about as much as I know right now. If you have any questions that you think i might be able to answer, dont hesitate to ask.

Best- John

PS. They also have some nice equiptment and seem to have a decent amount of money to spend on their officers/dept, and thats always a plus.

Comment

Madison does one academy a year that starts every april usually. They end up with thousands of applications for maybe 6-12 positions a years. They tend to hire people that are late 20s, with bachelors and masters degreees. Super liberal town, high cost of living. Even if you score a 100 on the test you might not make it to the next step. You will not get in anywhere in the madison area unless you are sworn already or have Wisconsin law enforcement board certification.

Comment

Originally posted by candog
          Madison does one academy a year that starts every april usually. They end up with thousands of applications for maybe 6-12 positions a years. They tend to hire people that are late 20s, with bachelors and masters degreees. Super liberal town, high cost of living. Even if you score a 100 on the test you might not make it to the next step. You will not get in anywhere in the madison area unless you are sworn already or have Wisconsin law enforcement board certification.

With all due respect, most of this post is BS.

Yes, MPD does do 1 academy per year and yes it starts in May. They also do get usually around 3000 applications, but classes are usually 15-25 officers. And yes, they do hire people in their later 20's or older, and yes they do tend to be VERY well educated (over 10% of the department has Doctorates). But, with the benefits, pay, AWESOME department, and the number of applicants, they can afford to be very choosy in who they hire. Cost of living is not that high, and the town is liberal, not quite super liberal . The 100 on their test really means very little, their test is a to judge your ability to communicate and has nothing to do with police work. And as far as not getting anywhere in the Madison area unless you're already sworn, that is just flat out wrong. The majority of officers hired (especially in the 5 biggest departments, FBPD, MAPD, SUPD, DCSO, UWPD) are NOT sworn and have no prior experience and also haven't been to the academy.

CincinattiCJ, I work in the Madison area, have TONS of friends with MPD and work closely with them on a daily basis. If you'd like, feel free to drop me another PM.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

It is funny you say that most of the post is BS but then confirm that most of it is right except for the part about having certification. Anyways, you want to tell me why all those departments you listed except for DCSO and UWPD turned my application down and did not even allow me to test because of lack of recruit school?

Comment

Originally posted by candog
              I agree with most of this...Very liberal dept and difficult to get into..They favor people with a bachelors degree. They like those older applicants who are looking for a "career change"...Good luck whatever you decide.
              Last edited by dBrown; 06-15-2005, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I'd stay away.... uber liberal city and police department...they can have it. What is wrong with Cincy? The biggest snitches in policing seem to be some of those officers who have come from other careers and have been highly educated prior to becoming a cop.
                Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Madison PD; good department with a great reputation. As stated, ultra-liberal. Had thoughts of applying there if Saint Paul turned me down. Although, it is very competitive and I do know personally that they like to hire officers with higher education (even law or Dr.) or officers with no law enforcement background whatsoever.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by 6233108
                    I'd stay away.... uber liberal city and police department...they can have it. What is wrong with Cincy? The biggest snitches in policing seem to be some of those officers who have come from other careers and have been highly educated prior to becoming a cop.

No offense, but are you saying that a higher educated person...like myself...went to college and graduated with a BA in International Affairs, International Business, and History with minors in Computer Science, Japanese, and Spanish is going to be a snitch? All I want to do is help people....not ruin people.
                    I think girls go after me for my Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by cincinnaticj7
                      No offense, but are you saying that a higher educated person...like myself...went to college and graduated with a BA in International Affairs, International Business, and History with minors in Computer Science, Japanese, and Spanish is going to be a snitch? All I want to do is help people....not ruin people.
                      Yes, your "snitchability quotient" is higher on average than a ex-military person. The numbers of actual officers across the board that will snitch is low overall. In my experience it is the more educated more liberal type of officer that will possess the holier than thou attitude. Good luck. BTW why are planning on being a career police officer with all of that education...why not go Fed?

Comment

The discussion about snitching is somewhat disconcerting. I would hope that Officers would, as you put it, snitch on another Officer if they see them doing something that is illegal. The fact that they have a college education should not make a difference. I would say a bigger factor would be their personal ethics and moral apptitude. An Officer who sees a wrong being done by another Officer and reports them is not being a snitch but it merely continuing to serve the public that they swore to protect. If an Officer is unwilling to do this they should find another line of work. Besides the Officer who did the wrong will be given the opportunity to come clean (provided its not a serious offense) and if they don't lie will more then likely get some time off and a reprimand.

Of course I have a 4 year degree so what do I know. Oh and its in Biblical Studies so that probably makes me even more 'holier then thou'. But then again I spent most of my life in a military family as my dad was career Navy. I feel so conflicted.... I know I should look the other way because thats what they do in the military but they taught me in college to do the right thing. What a bunch of BS. If anything I would say the military would make you more likely to honor your commitment to serve and protect even if it means doing the uncomfortably and in some cases unpopular thing and report on a fellow Officer.
                        Day by Day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by wannabeacop
                          If anything I would say the military would make you more likely to honor your commitment to serve and protect even if it means doing the uncomfortably and in some cases unpopular thing and report on a fellow Officer.
                          Like the troops that are being hung out to dry by assh&le college boy 2nd Lts. in Iraq (aka informers) too many of our troops are getting a raw deal for killing insurgent terrorists. They investigate the crap like it's a police shooting..when it's a friggin war.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabeacop
                            The discussion about snitching is somewhat disconcerting. I would hope that Officers would, as you put it, snitch on another Officer if they see them doing something that is illegal. The fact that they have a college education should not make a difference. I would say a bigger factor would be their personal ethics and moral apptitude. An Officer who sees a wrong being done by another Officer and reports them is not being a snitch but it merely continuing to serve the public that they swore to protect. If an Officer is unwilling to do this they should find another line of work. Besides the Officer who did the wrong will be given the opportunity to come clean (provided its not a serious offense) and if they don't lie will more then likely get some time off and a reprimand.
                            Go get a job in Detroit and talk to me in a month....who has your back there...the public?? KMA!

Comment

Well its clear to me that you have some personal issues with people who have an education beyond high school. I'm sorry that you have acquired this but there is really nothing I can do to help you with your problem. I hope that you preconcieved notions of college educated people don't affect the way you treat them in real life.

On another note, you can only 'snitch' on someone that has done something wrong... if they haven't its what is called an unfounded statement. In order for someone to have been snitched on they need to have done something wrong. I think the real a-holes of the world are those that have so little honor that they refuse to stand up for whats right even if its not easy. An even bigger a-hole is someone who belittles people for doing what is right (by calling them snitches) and attempts to intimidate people into not reporting wrongs.

Working in Detroit would be difficult, no doubt about it, and I commend those that do and do it honorably, which would be the majority of the force there. If I worked there I would do what is right regardless of the consequences because that is who I am. Anyone who would put me in a position where I would have to make a choice between doing what is right or remaining silent isn't a person who should be wearing a badge anyway and is not someone who I would want backing me up or serving the public.
                              Day by Day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6368 users online. 274 members and 6094 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X