300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Departments

Though I enjoy working for my current department I have not enjoyed the state as much lately as I used too. Don't get me wrong Alaska is great. AZ is pretty much one of the only states I'd consider moving to but I want the same "deal" I have here.
    Which departments offer the best pay/benifit packages along with the cost of living. I really don't know much about AZ beides that it's warm, sunny, and the housing looks very affordable. Which looks good to me!

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

PHX is the Place to Be!

Thatguy,

First off, I think that we need more cowbell.

I have lived in Phx for over 30 years and it is a GREAT place to be. Great cost of living, cool affordable housing, great weather ten months out of the year, etc. etc.

I work for a large municipal government working with at risk youth, and soon I hope to transfer over to Phx PD. I know ChopShop will give me crap , but IMHO, Phoenix is where it is at. It's funny, I was just speaking to a good friend of mine this morning about depts. and pay, and how some depts. were paying more initially, or had hiring bonuses, but her point was, "And how much do you get for uni allowance? How much OT is there?......etc."

I really encourage you to take a look at Phx PD. It is a large agency, but it is really respected for being a good, community based dept. They have been pretty much scandal free (as much as you can be these days) the community values them, and they have a great pay structure. They also have Career Enhancement Pay (CEP) which puts more money in your pocket for education, fitness level, training, etc.

I also am choosing Phx PD because of the size of the Dept. there is more opportunity then smaller depts. Specialized squads, Air Support Unit, legal squad, etc. I love the idea that every year (after my first three in patrol) I can essentially have a new career.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know, if I don't know the answer, I will get it for you.

In the meantime, please check out their web site for lateral transfers:

http://www.cityofphoenix.org/POLICE/pdjob6.html

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Max Fischer; 06-13-2005, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Send a PM to AZChopShopCop

Comment

Great weather 10 months of the year? What about the other 2? I mean 110 is HOT no matter how dry it is especially in a vest. Its been around 90 in Pittsburgh with a humidity running between a LOW of 50% and a high hum. of 100% OUCH thats just unbreathable and thick. Get swamp *** reall quick, jsut checking car before shift is dampness inducing Not to sound yucky but can you really not sweat there???
        I got nothing for now

Comment

EMan,

Fair questions. The other two (or three, depending on who you ask) are hot. One of the things you mention about your heat is humidity. Here, our worst humid months are significantly lower then your low humidity. Basically, there is truth to the corny *** saying, "it's a dry heat"

Honestly, after 105, it's all the same. On the day that we hit our modern day record high of 122, I was tearing out carpeting and putting in wood floors. We didn't know it was extra hot. When it is really hot, we do what you guys do when it is super cold, stay indoors, adjust what we do and when.

Meantime, in December, we are poolside, or playing golf in shorts. And the best part is, if you want to ski or play in snow, you drive 1.5 hours up North, and can do all the same stuff as everyone else. It rocks. I always say, I never have to shovel sun to get my car out of the garage....

I am not a big sweater, and most people don't either, especially with the humidity, the warm heat is really something to get used to, you just have to be good about your water intake. Officers here also can sometimes wear their Camleback hydration packs, and that is why you see day shift officers here wear shorts, and no one looks at them twice, it is so common. Our firefighters and cops wear shorts, and it is almost weird to see someone in pants.

Comment

Per the link provided, "Based on your experience, you may qualify for entry level pay up to $20.29 an hour/ $42,203.00 annually."

I couldn't take a pay cut that large just to go to another department. Plenty of departments in the Denver area lateral you over at your same salary, I can't believe Phoenix's pay is that low.

Comment

So, you're saying that $42k in Denver dollars is equivalent to $42k in Phx dollars? Might want to do some research on that.

e-man. I'm originally from the East Coast, too, Eastern Shore of Maryland. Trust me, the heat here is substantially different from EC heat. It's a cliche, but I'll take 110 degrees with 10 percent humidity over your weather any day of the week.
              d

Comment

I wasn't saying they were equivalent, but I was saying that it's not enough. According to the cost of living calculator at Realtor.com, I would need to make 52,000 in Phoenix to equal my current pay in Denver money. That says to me that 42,000 would be a significant pay cut. Obviously it's not all about money, but you would think that in order to get laterals in situations like mine (with experience and willing to move), they would sweeten the pot a little bit more.

Comment

Back to AZ departments. In CA, I pay a large part of my retirement $800 - $1000 a month, and part of my medical, $150 a month. After those are taken out of my gross pay, I willl make more in an AZ department with good benefits and good investments on my own part. I am interested in the Pima County Area and would love to hear info. on good departments to work for in that area. Max, I know your expertise is Phx., but if you know anything about the area I would appreciate your input as well. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortSeven
                    I wasn't saying they were equivalent, but I was saying that it's not enough. According to the cost of living calculator at Realtor.com, I would need to make 52,000 in Phoenix to equal my current pay in Denver money. That says to me that 42,000 would be a significant pay cut. Obviously it's not all about money, but you would think that in order to get laterals in situations like mine (with experience and willing to move), they would sweeten the pot a little bit more.
                    Fair enough. Where did you get the $42k figure from? Their site? That does seem a little low relative to starting pay for new officers. Regardless, as you say, it's not all about money. You have to factor in true costs of living and, more importantly, the intangibles of living here vs. there. Good luck.
                    d

Comment

Originally posted by Blatant
                      Fair enough. Where did you get the $42k figure from? Their site? That does seem a little low relative to starting pay for new officers. Regardless, as you say, it's not all about money. You have to factor in true costs of living and, more importantly, the intangibles of living here vs. there. Good luck.
                      d
                      Thats exactly what I'm going through. Granted cost of living here is a bit high , it's all relative. I would take about a 20K pay cut leaving here (that includes small amount of OT). Cops live pretty good here. For me its the quality of life. Its like Hawaii, its great to visit but after a while I'd think it would get old.....uuhhh maybe not.

TGY
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by depcaus
                        Back to AZ departments. In CA, I pay a large part of my retirement $800 - $1000 a month, and part of my medical, $150 a month. After those are taken out of my gross pay, I willl make more in an AZ department with good benefits and good investments on my own part. I am interested in the Pima County Area and would love to hear info. on good departments to work for in that area. Max, I know your expertise is Phx., but if you know anything about the area I would appreciate your input as well. Thanks.

Depcaus,

Hi. I don't have much info on PCSD, but I know deputies that work for Maricopa County Sheriff, and they mostly are not happy. The sheriff is a tool with a capital T. He has caused millions of dollars in law suits do to some dumb things he continues to do... Pima sounds cool, they had an article about how people were lining up to work for that sheriff because he is a solid guy. Here are some links that may help you, best of luck!

http://www.pimasheriff.org/deputynewopen.htm
                        Last edited by Max Fischer; 06-14-2005, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Other $$ Perks

Something I didn't mention. While the starting salary may not be the highest, there are tons of OT opportunities and also differential pay.
                          These are some more pay benefits available and my buddy who just completed his first year made over $60,000 with minimal off duty gigs, just court OT.

Career Enhancement Pay
                          C.E.P. is a 4 tiered bonus pay program that is based on an accumulation of points derived from credit hours, college degrees, training hours, physical fitness level, firearms proficiency, training certifications, specialty assignments and additional skills.

Level 1 (30 points) $143.73 Per Month $1,724.74 Per Year
                          Level 2 (50 points) $287.45 Per Month $3,449.46 Per Year
                          Level 3 (70 points) $431.18 Per Month $5,187.19 Per Year
                          Level 4 (90 points) $574.91 Per Month $6,898.92 Per year

Bilingual Incentive Pay
                          $10 an hour in addition to regular hourly pay while engaged in translation activities. This includes all related paperwork, investigation time and court appearances.

Nightshift/Weekend Differential Pay
                          60 cents an hour in addition to hourly pay when working a shift which ends after 10:00pm.
                          25 cents an hour in addition to hourly pay when working a weekend shift.

Compensatory Time Bank Option
                          Officers can continuously store up to 175 hours of overtime in their comp bank and have the option to cash out any hours in their comp bank at any time or may use any hours in their comp bank to take time off.

Paid Court Overtime
                          Court appearances at a time other than the regular scheduled duty time is compensated at a rate of one and one-half (1

Comment

Again I would suggest Peoria PD. I know of Phx cops who have done laterals to Peoria. I do agree with everything Max says about Phx. However, if you dont want to be just a number, go with a smaller agency. Peoria is the fourth largest city in size and ninth largest in population. Its growing alot and will be one of the largest west valley cities along with buckeye and surprise. Peoria has about 220 staff and about 170 of them are sworn. Most agencies are paying about the same around here with the exception of a few. Most are starting out around 41,000 to 42,000.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6391 users online. 333 members and 6058 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X