300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few ?'s from a L.E.O. hopefull

Hows it going guys/girls? I have a few questions for you LEO's out there. first off its great to have a forum like this where us leo hopefulls can ask questions and get real answers, no BS. (i think ) I know you guys have problably answered what im about to ask 100x's over, and i can understand your frustration, ive searched around the board but just havent found the specific answers im looking for. So here we go...

Im a 21 yr. old, my driving record is kinda iffy, i spoke to the recruiting officer at one of the departments im applying at and told him about my record, he said it was no big deal, that the captain would review it and it would be alright as long as things didnt pile up, like arrests, bad background, drug use. you guys know what i mean. Im appoligizing in advance for the length of this, but ive had these questions for soo long.

With the driving record out of the way, Ive never been arrested, no criminal background at all, my credit is fine.. no one trying to collect from me, (i used to, but i have paid them all off ). My work history jumps around a lil bit... i started working when i was 14, jumped from retail job to retail job (stupid 16-17 yr. old desicions) was let go once at a telemarketing place for not selling enough (nothing bad). Ive been at my current job for over a year now to show some stability, once i realized i wanted to become a LEO. I have 12 credit hours under my belt at a local college, but due to certain circumstances i havent been able to go back, i would like to once i become a LEO though.

Im very fluent in spanish, i can read and speak it well(english as well, duh..lol)... is this a plus for me? (im applying in south florida). I also plan on putting myself through the academy this coming october without any help/sponsorship.

How's my future in LE looking? lol, i thank you in advance for any replys, i appreciate the time all of you take out to respond... hopefully ill be one of you guys soon. be safe.

34 views and no responeses... i think i made it too long. i hate reading long posts too sometimes. lol.

Comment

Nothing sounds to bad. The best thing is time. What I mean by that is putting time in between anything that has happen that wasn't positive. Spanish is a plus. Academy is a plus. More college would be helpful too. Good luck and just keep trying.

Comment

No one can say for sure. It's hit or miss sometimes. I've seen guys that got hired that make you wonder what the hell HR is doing. At the same time, I've seen a lot of people with great qualifications not make the cut.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Yeah, i guess im just gonna have to wait and see, thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate it.

Comment

You may also get more thorough responses if you post this in the "Ask a Cop" section of the forums, try there.

Comment

Originally posted by Merk911
              You may also get more thorough responses if you post this in the "Ask a Cop" section of the forums, try there.
              Will do, thanks.

Comment

wow, too long of a post. Next time break it down to just the questions, don't need to read about jibble jabble.

The best advice I can give you is to never give up on your dream. IF you want to become a cop, then work hard at it. If you have some issues in your past, as long as it is not a major felony or serious misdemeanor, then you will eventually find a dept. that will accept you.

visit: www.***************************** . I just finished the workbook, look for it at your local bookstore. wayne.
                Good Luck and Test Well!
                Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Pull your credit report and see what it says. Why were you in collections?

What traffic violations do you have?

You have a shot but applying this young you need a good reason to have been in collections.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    Pull your credit report and see what it says. Why were you in collections?

What traffic violations do you have?

You have a shot but applying this young you need a good reason to have been in collections.

Well everything on my credit report has been taken care of. About $1200 in debt. no biggie. I got into debt at such a young age because it was just my mother and I, and i had to put a few things on hold in order to get the rent and the light bill paid once in a while. I have a few speeding tickets when i was 16-18 nothing rediculous, 10 over the limit a couple of times. Last one was a lil over a year ago, my liscense got suspended because it was right in the middle of me moving, and i was looking for a job, and once again i had to help out with the rent, leaving me with no money i had saved. a few weeks later once i got on my feet, i paid off the fines. and everything has been fine since then.

Oh and sorry sor the length of the first post.. lol thanks for the link pkagel.
                    Last edited by SoInTeNsE54; 06-15-2005, 03:06 PM.

Comment

The suspension is going to raise red flags but if you can articulate your situation good enough they it won't kill you.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The suspension is going to raise red flags but if you can articulate your situation good enough they it won't kill you.
                        Well i already spoke to the recruiting officer at one of the agencies im applying to, and he said it was no big deal as long as i havent been arrested, and things dont start to pile up.

Comment

Sounds good then, just make sure you write it down fully because more officers than just that recruiting officer are going to look at it.

Comment

Sounds good then, just make sure you write it down fully because more officers than just that recruiting officer are going to look at it.
                            Sounds good thanks for the info.!

Comment

Good luck in your job hunt. My advise is to have patience. LE is a very competitive field these days and sometimes you need something to stand out and seperate yourself from everyone else. My resume was not unlike yours at 21. I never applied, but I am not sure I would have been hired if i did. Only time can cure wounds like bad credit and a driver's license suspension. I finally got hired at my first choice not too long ago. I am 30 years old and finished my degree and spent 5 years in the military. I realize I won't retire at 40-45, but the education, military and life experience made me a commodity. Like I said, Good luck, I hope you get hired immediately, but if you don't, start something and finish it. Get your degree or reserve as a cop. I am not promoting the military but my time in the USCG as a Federal boarding officer looked pretty good on a application. Hope all goes well in sunny Florida, some days I miss it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6755 users online. 320 members and 6435 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X