• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil
    replied
    Re

All,

Thanks for your relies and input. Sorry for the delayed response, as I had to go out of town to take my polygraph. Dave, I did put all of the info regarding the job in my questionare, and I also discussed it with the polygraph interviewer in length. I may have forgotten a little pick-up job here and there, but I would never leave a job like this out.

Carcop, I know the feeling about the ex's, lol

Leave a comment:

• CarCop
    replied
    I agree with the "Chief" and Dave. If the job has been disclosed then just give the name of the owner. The owner's recommendation will carry more weight than one supervisor. The BI will probably not ever get to that person. Besides your entitled not to like people, and that is always taken into account. Hell if opinion were the guage used by BI's, my exgirlfriend could have nuked me.

Don't worry about it much, if the person comes up tell it like it is and be upfront. If not, water under the bridge. Just don't try to "hide" ever having the job ... that will blow up in your face!

Leave a comment:

• Dave2886
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're as far into the process as you say you are, haven't you already filled out and submitted a detailed personal history questionnaire, including your work history? If so, and you didn't disclose the job you're referring to, you're already in a bad spot. What you should do now depends on the answer to that question.

If you completely skipped it, you need to contact your background guy as soon as possible and tell him all about it. Just say that you forgot about it when you were filling out your paperwork, or something along those lines. It's not a very good excuse, but it's 10 times better than "I was trying to avoid telling you about it..." If you think they won't find out about it, think again. Unless this was completely under the table and you never filled out a w-4 form, they'll find out about it. Even if it WAS under the table, there's still a chance a skilled investigator will find out, and then you're screwed for lying.

If you mentioned it, but didn't disclose any of the details, just do like someone else mentioned already and use the name of the other guy that you got along with. Bottom line, you never want to appear as if you have something to hide, and you really don't need to hide from this. If you get caught trying, you're done. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• spikeone66
    replied
    Always tell the truth.

Always tell the truth. They are looking at your integrity. Not everyone gets along with everyone. If you get though this whole process and you don't disclose everything... you've lost. They understand people have bad relationships. Tell them you had a poor relationship with them... you have NOTHING to hide!

Leave a comment:

• Chief Wiggum
    replied
    When asked for contact information for this former employer don't give them his info, give the former owner's info (the one you got along with).

If they ask for a coworkers info give somebody elses.

Leave a comment:

• Gil
    started a topic Sticky situation

Sticky situation

Ok,

I'm almost halfway through the process with the state police . I Took and passed the fitness portion last week, then got the call Thursday to take the ploy next week. If that is successful, the background, psych and medical, then hopefully appointment will follow.

One thing among many that has been knawing at me for the last few days is that about 11 years ago right after college, I worked for an investigative firm that was owned and operated by two former State troppers, and the supervisory staff was comprosed of another former trooper, two retired local police officers and one from out of state. Out of respect for the officers and the agency, which is no longer in business, I would rather not disclose the name of the firm. At the time, especially getting out of school, the pay wasn't bad, and I enjoyed the work. The primary mission of the job was surveillance of worker's comp. claimants, and it involved a LOT of travel out of town. For those of you who have done this type of work, I'm sure you can attest to the fact that it can be frustrating and not easy, but the experience you get is invaluable. I worked for 3 of the supervisors at different times, and the last one I was under was the former local officer That's where the problem lies.

Will all due respect, the guy was not that easy to work with, but nonetheless, I respected the fact that he was an officer and his experience as such. At first, we got along great, and our disagreements were work related only, and I had nothing personal against him at all. However, near the end, the tension started to become personal. Also, I never disobeyed an order and did what I was told to do. There were others in the unit who also had a hard time working with him, and he and another employee almost came to blows one time over an unknown matter. I got along great with the owner/president and other managers, and never had a problem with them.

Some of the people we watched were either not living there, or did not come out. He never did a surveillance for the company, so in actuallity, he had no idea what we had to deal with out in the field. Our surveillances were conducted either in bumf#$% Egypt, or in the worse inner city neighborhood you can think of. Logistically, some surveillances were near impossible to conduct, but I did my best anyway. I had some great surveillances, and some crappy ones. If it was not the camera angle or position of the vehicle he was griping about, I spent too much for gas, etc.

After a few more months, and almost two years with the company, I resigned on the spot. He called me while I was out in the field on Friday and told me to be in his office Monday. We had a pretty tense meeting on Monday, and I told him I had enough. I didn't leave under the best of terms, but not bad either. One by one, others left the company as well, and it eventually went out of business.

Now, I'm wondering if this person will badmouth me and ruin my chances of becoming a police officer, even though 10 years have passed..He eventually left the company and went back to work for the county, from what I understand. I'm not saying I was without fault or didn't make mistakes, because I did. I have grown a lot since then, and hopefully the BI will see that. Thanks for your input in advance. Right now however, I feel like I'm screwed.
    Last edited by Gil; 06-11-2005, 02:58 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9885 users online. 478 members and 9407 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X