300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opions

I have been applying to my local PD and everything was going well....until yesterday.

I have been waiting patiently to hear if I was accepted until last week when I found out my wife and I are having our first child. I called my BI and informed her about this and to ask how everything was progressing. We chatted and everything seemd ok. I recieved a call later in the day......my BI had gotten special permission to call me and let me know what was going on as they aren't usually allowed to give out this information over the phone. I had been turned down . Reason being my military seperation date which falls in October and the academy is the begining of September. I have enough leave saved up to get out by the end of August. They also told me that all of the names have been submitted to the academy and can't be changed.

Now when I went to my initial interview I told my BI that this might be an issue and I was told that we could work something out. What iritates me is that they put me up for final approval and didn't bother calling me to find out for sure of my actual out date. I can be out exactly 1 week before the academy starts.

I was also informed that this was the only reason for being turned down and that I should apply again. The next testing cycle I can start over with is 6 months later and with a baby on the way this is a HUGE stress. I don't see why I should have to go through this.... I think they could at the very least offer me a position in the next academy.

They have told me that they are having a meeting on monday and would get back to me and see if anything can be done.

What do you guys think I should do? Thank you in advance for any replies.

What's your question? I guess I don't understand what you want an opinion on.

Comment

What would you guys do in this situation?

Comment

Currently in a similar situation myself, I will comment on this.

First, do not hold it against them. They made a decision based on the info they had. No reason for shoulda, coulda, woulda, they made a decision.

Second, they are telling you to re-apply in 6 months, so re-apply in 6 months. I'm pretty sure if you handle this right, they will give due consideration.

And last, do what I did; go find a temp job to pay the bills in the mean time.

A good job that you want, and is where you want to be is well worth waiting for.

Comment

If they are holding a special meeting just for you then submit your approved terminal leave papers to them so they have something solid to look at while making the decision.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

K.....I would not hold it against them since they did not have something solid to go on. If they really are holding a special meeting for you then contact then and provide proof that you will be out in time for the start of the academy....otherwise if you do not get in this class find something to hold you over until the next class....sounds like they are interesting in you and you should work with them as much as you can. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.

Comment

Or how about a custody job with them while your waiting. You'll have the medical coverage and be able to see how they do things making you a better recruit in the long run.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Easy........

1. Don't take it personally.
                2. As recommended before, get a job and make sure you stay on top of the bills.
                3. If you want to get out of the military, do it.
                4. Re-apply in six months.

You need to understand that Agencies don't like maybe's and mights (I MIGHT be able to get out of the military.) When are definately out, and you will definately be available for assignment to the academy, that is when you will be a good candidate.

In the mean time, Use your G.I. Bill and take some classes at the community college. Hell, the G.I. Bill will give you $1000 a month.

It took me 2 1/2 years to get hired. If you want advice for the long haul, e-mail me.
                If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. It is definately making me feel better.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4630 users online. 273 members and 4357 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X