300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Basic Waiver process

Can anyone tell me about the waiver process other than whats on the POST website. How hard is it to get a waiver and what states are usually accepted. Also are there any agencies that will sponsor you through the waiver process? Do most agencies accept it? Thanks!

Just put yourself through an academy in Cali-----

I was a Deputy Sheriff for a year in Louisiana, after I was an M.P. in the Marines for 4 years. I had almost 2000 hours of L.E. training. And still didn't meet the waiver requirements. If you have been a cop for a few years, find agencies that you like in Cali and start applying as an entry-level applicant. You would need to do another academy, but if you don't have any issues in your background and you have people in your current agency who like you and would give good references, you shouldn't have a problem getting hired.

Where are looking at in Cali???

I know about all of the San Diego area agencies. What they pay, shifts, areas to work and live........
    If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

I have 670 houra in the academy + probably over 400 in advanced training. I thought it would be enough, but I guess not. What reason did they deny it to you for? Are you working in Cali now?

I want to work in a major metropolitan area with an agency of at least 150 officers. So pretty much nothing north of San Francisco. My first pick would be San Francisco or San Diego. I would go to LA or San Jose next. Anything else you could provide would be great! Thanks man!

Comment

First off, why are you picking those agencies over any others? I think you might want to look into the agencies a bit more. Unless your independantly wealthy your going to be driving for 2 hours one way to be able to afford a condo on police wages at SD & SF.

We have agencies out here that won't accept other CA academies so why would they take an out of state academy? You have the skills necessary so you'll get hired but just get ready for a 6 month academy. You'll know all the weird in's and out's of CA law by the time your done and won't be playing catch up on the streets.

Check out my web site and start studying.
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
        BTW, my academy was 1010 hrs and most are well over 800.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by BayCityBrawler
          I have 670 houra in the academy + probably over 400 in advanced training. I thought it would be enough, but I guess not. What reason did they deny it to you for? Are you working in Cali now?

I want to work in a major metropolitan area with an agency of at least 150 officers. So pretty much nothing north of San Francisco. My first pick would be San Francisco or San Diego. I would go to LA or San Jose next. Anything else you could provide would be great! Thanks man!

I don't know what info you have about what agencies, but like pKagel said, you gotta have bucks to live in those areas. Bay Area agencies start at $100k a year because it cost $2 million to live there. And San Diego isn't far behind in cost of living. It's actually going up faster, percentage wise, than SF.

I work in the desert. My agency has 40 sworn officers. And all of the specialized positions ither than K-9. We have traffic, notors, investigations, child investigations, narcotics, DEA positions, California DOJ positions. And we get lots of training.

As far as why POST didn't grant my waiver request, California has some goofy $hit you have to learn. They didn't teach it in Louisiana. They also require a lot more time in the law studies area. My academy in Louisiana only had 45 hours of law study. My academy here had about 2 1/2 time that.

I could go on and on.
          If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Oh, I forgot.....

Big agencies aren't all they're cracked up to be. I would like to know, and trust, those who back me up. They know my ins and outs, and I know their's.

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Do you speak Spanish, how about Santa Ana, one of the highest paid, most respected departments in the state. Or you could try Anaheim, Fullerton, Barstow, pretty much anywhere in the SoCal pays relatively good except Inglewood and Compton Schools PD. Just remember, the further out in the dessert you work the less of a drive you are going to have because your not going to afford to live near the beach.

Put it to ya this way, my house was built in 1952, is 1250 sq ft, 3br/1ba on a 5000 sq ft lot in a nice, normal middle class community in So LA county. Nothing special except I have AC and Heat added to my house. Whaddya wanna guess it is worth???? If you guessed over 550k then you'd be right on the money!!! No officers in CA w/o stars on their collars can afford to buy a new house here.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

San Diego is getting a 6% pay cut. Many people are lateraling out. At least 50 applied to Chula vista...
                Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Wonderful SD city counsel, when are they going to jail??????????

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was I wanted to work in those areas. I didn't mean just those agencies, just in those areas, because I want to be near a major city. Like I said, I would look at any agency with 150 or more or even 100 or more. I work for a small agency right now and would like something a little more expanded. Something with a nice ghetto and its good areas! I like the dirty work. Just one of those cops.

As for the Post law requirment, I have several college classes under my belt in that area and my academy had a little over 100 hours of it. So it may work, but alot of it was Florida law so maybe not.

I have family in Palm Springs and SF, so trust me I know the COL out there. I don't care! I would sacrafice my living arangments to work in Cali. Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

I don't know as much as the other guys about Cal Academy but I have done a lot of investigation in to the Basic Waiver. Go to the CA post website and they will tell you everything you need. I spoke with the woman who is in charge of evaluating the hour requirements and she said you didn't even have to fill out the 200 hr special requirement sheet, they would just evaluate what you sent in.

She said that if you even remotely think it will fit into their training req's send it in. She said that you will generally know in about 3 weeks if you met the prelim req's. You then have to take a three week re-cert. course in firearms, defen tac's, and CA law. I hope that helps and good luck.

PS.. There is also the disclaimer the the Basic Waiver is NOT a Certification. It is up to the hiring agency to accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by BayCityBrawler
                        I have family in Palm Springs and SF, so trust me I know the COL out there. I don't care! I would sacrafice my living arangments to work in Cali. Thanks for all the responses.

If you have family in the palms Springs area, you should look at the desert agencies. If like dealing with $hitheads one day and rich ba$tards the next, that's the place to go. Agencies out there include Palm Springs, Indio, Ontario, Fontana, Beaumont, Riverside (City and County), San Bernardino (City and County).

San Bernardino County is the largest county in the U.S.

Trust me, the one thing you don't need to worry about when dealing with a career in law enforcement is how you are going to pay your bills after you pay your mortgage or rent. California is such a wonderful place to live, with so many things to see and do. You don't want to spend all of your money on a place to live. This would prevent you from being able to get out and do things. Unless you are bringing a sizeable bank roll with you , the place to be is a mid-size agency in a mid-size city. 40-80 Officers, 40,000-100,000 people.

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Originally posted by Sag22
                          I don't know as much as the other guys about Cal Academy but I have done a lot of investigation in to the Basic Waiver. Go to the CA post website and they will tell you everything you need. I spoke with the woman who is in charge of evaluating the hour requirements and she said you didn't even have to fill out the 200 hr special requirement sheet, they would just evaluate what you sent in.

She said that if you even remotely think it will fit into their training req's send it in. She said that you will generally know in about 3 weeks if you met the prelim req's. You then have to take a three week re-cert. course in firearms, defen tac's, and CA law. I hope that helps and good luck.

PS.. There is also the disclaimer the the Basic Waiver is NOT a Certification. It is up to the hiring agency to accept it.
                          So another words I will have to save enough comp time to take three weeks off to stay in Cali + hotel + rental car + daily expenses? Damn this gets worse more complicated by the hour.

Also, M_Chey are there any depts. to stay away from? Any that are easier to get on with or harder? What would be your first choices?

Comment

First off, I sent you a PM.

Like others have said, make sure you look into HOUSING costs wherever you apply. Officers in the Southern Cal area either have $500K mortgages ($3500 a month) or live an hour + from their jobsite.

The other thing I will comment on after working at a smaller city (150 cops) as a civilian and now a BIG city as a LEO, they both have their +'s and -'s.

Most So Cal small cities rotate their cops thru specialty assignments every 3-5 years so you get a lot of movement. That can be good and bad. What happens if you LOVE riding a motor but the small dept makes you rotate back to graveyard patrol after 5 years? A larger dept lets you stay at motors forever just as long as you're doing your job properly.

The other thing about smaller depts is that if you have just ONE ranking officer who doesn't like you, life could be h e l l. Not good at all if you're the outspoken type. At a bigger dept, you can just transfer to a different command and never have to see that ranking officer again.
                            "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Blue Leader brings up really good points about the + & - of each type of department. Large departments do offer a pretty much unlimited amount of lateral movement. Smaller dept's will make you rotate back to patrol every 3-5 years, unless there is no one qualified, or interested in assuming the position you hold.

In SoCal, I can't say there are any dept's to absolutely stay away from. Most are honest, progressive departments with leadership that follows the community oriented policing management style. If you are a go-getter and the proactive type, that is what the departments are looking for.

If you currently do a lot of self-initiated activity, start keeping track of your statistics. If your department also gives you access to everyone's stats, prepare to bring those numbers up in your interviews (if the numbers are in your favor).

If you are one who drives around and responds to radio calls, don't even bring up the statistics thing.

Another thing--- Know the principles and differences in Community Oriented Policing and Problem Oriented Policing. Every agency will be impressed with any knowledge you have..... And the more the better.

As for quick agencies--- Expect 3 months to a year with any agency.

These are some of the quicker ones that I've heard of-- for applicants with no issues.

Indio, Hemet, El Cajon, El Centro, Imperial County Sheriff, Brawley, Carlsbad, Oceanside.

Some of the longer ones for good applicants

San Diego, Chula Vista, San Diego Sheriff, Riverside Sheriff, San Bernardino Sheriff.

All of the others vary.

The basic personal history statement is 17 pages long. It contains all information the state requires you to disclose. Agencies may add things to this document, which would make it longer.

My advice is to download this document from the post website and start gathering the information. Also request a criminal history check from every county you have ever lived. I was suprised to find out I had a warrant from my hometown in Louisiana. My background investigator told me about it. Luckily it was a no biggie issue and I was able to clear it inless than 1 hour from So Cal.

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8290 users online. 390 members and 7900 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X