300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Corrections Academy

Hello everyone, I have been going through the application process to be a corrections officer for the state of California. My application process (testing, psych, background check, and medical) is finally complete, so I am now waiting to see when the next academy is and where I get a job offer (assuming I get one, but I did score ok on the testing.) My question is, for any people who have been through this academy, or a similar academy, what is your advice on preparing for it? I think the California Corrections Academy is more similar to most police academies than other corrections academies (at least in length...it's sixteen weeks long.) Cali considers corrections officers to be sworn peace officers and they have a similar pay scale to the Cali Highway Patrol (although your area of jurisdicion is limited to the prison you work at, obviously.) That's one reason I applied there. Anyway, if anyone has any advice to offer, I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by manniax
    Hello everyone, I have been going through the application process to be a corrections officer for the state of California...
    I too am in the process. My understanding is that it is not too physical. Practice pushups, situps and running. The next academy starts the beginning of July. If you do not make this one then I don't know when the next one is. I know they have been approved to hire around 1500 CO's so they should have at least one more this year.

go to http://pacovilla.com/ and read, read, read. This site is maintained by a CA CO and discusses many of the issues facing CA corrections. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for your reply, and the link! I'm pretty good at situps, but pushups and running...well, I still don't know when I'm going, since I did miss the July class, so I'll work on those two things in the meantime.

Comment

SGT Gill From SQ checking in.

OK guys I went through in 2002. Hints for you. The accademy is in hotter that hell it's self Galt. I would recomend that you do some running. Jogging at least 2 miles a day would be good. You will need to be able to work and play well with others because you will probably be living with 7 other guys to a room. If you have any other questions hit me up at [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by manniax
          Cali considers corrections officers to be sworn peace officers and they have a similar pay scale to the Cali Highway Patrol
          The CHP starts people off at around $51K CA-DOC starts at $36K, from what I can tell. Big difference...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7631 users online. 402 members and 7229 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X