Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Passed In Florida

Hello All,
    I took the Florida B-PAD, Polygraph, written and Physical Abilities Test and it was not bad at all. I am prior military and prior Law Enforcement in North Carolina (Fireman now) bit I miss the police work so I am trying to get back into it. As far as the B-Pad it was not hard, but it was weird. I have never taking anything like that so I was not used to sitting there talking to a camera. Poly went well, operator took his time to explain the process and it helped to calm me down and it all went fine. I did have a problem with one of the questions about stealing from a employer where he wanted me to guess a value. I never intentionally stole merchandise but when I was in the military if I blew a fuse in truck I would go to the motor pool to get one, it was common practice. Or when you got out of the field you were supposed to return all unused MRE's I never considered talking them home stealing but now that I am older and wiser I see the era of my ways. So after he reworded the question all was fine. Physical Abilities Test I considered it on the easy side and the written test also. If I can help anybody trying to get on in Florida with any questions while it is fresh in my mind please let me know. There truly no need to worry if you are truthful and calm.

Florida

What was the agility test like? and what did you have to talk into the camera about?. I'm going to FL to take these tests for a dept out there. Where are you submitting your aplicaton to in FL?

Comment

im Taking all the FLA tests on monday and tuesday

Comment

I'm down here testing with Collier County. For some reason, my physical agility has been waived for the time being. Did oral boards today, have medical tomorrow, and then poly and pysch on Thur and Friday. Hopefully the next trip down will be to start work.
        sigpic

Comment

Cost of living

What is the cost of living there? I know that they are not unionized either. I am really interested but kinda of scared to start over for less. Any one what know what the salary scale is like? and what tpye of step increase they get? I talked with an officer down there and he said you start out around 40 with experience. Anyone clarify....I know what the website says too..... Guide me my rothers and sisters

Comment

Florida

There are a ton of posts about various agencies in FL. Most of the depts I know of are unionized with either PBA or FOP. Cost of living is higher than some places, lower than others...it just depends on where you're coming from. A 3/2 house will likely average around $400k+.

I don't know of any agencies in South Florida that require the BPAD, so I can't speak about that part of the testing. Agility test is pretty simple...usually incorporates a run, some kind of obstacle course, a basic swim test and some other minor tasks.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Pay Scale

Originally posted by caliblm
              What is the cost of living there? I know that they are not unionized either. I am really interested but kinda of scared to start over for less. Any one what know what the salary scale is like? and what tpye of step increase they get? I talked with an officer down there and he said you start out around 40 with experience. Anyone clarify....I know what the website says too..... Guide me my rothers and sisters

I called HR last week they said you get a 1% raise each yr. plus a merit raise between 1-7%. The raise is across the board, if one gets 7% all get it.

Below is off the website
              Salary: $14.64 per hour until passage of state exam when salary will increase to $15.81-$17.39 per hour.

Experienced Officers
              The state of Florida offers an Equivalency of Training Academy for Corrections or Law Enforcement officers who are certified in another state. The academy lasts approximately (2) weeks and it prepares you for the State Exam for Florida Certification. The Collier County Sheriff's Office will pay academy costs, hotel fees, per diem, and your salary while you are attending the course in St. Petersburg, FL.

You may be eligible for up to 10% above the starting salary for your experience. Call Human Resources, 239-793-9212, for further information.

If you live outside of the area, you must return to Naples to process for a position. See our Application Process section for more details.

Our rapidly-growing Agency provides you with almost unlimited opportunities for promotion and diversification. Specialized units available within Corrections include K-9 and the Corrections Emergency Response Team. After (18) months as a Road Patrol Deputy, you may be eligible to transfer to law enforcement specialized units, such as K-9, Investigations, SWAT, and Marine Patrol.

We also offer a $1275 equipment bonus for certified positions

Comment

Just got done testing last week with collier co. testing was easy but the cost of living in the area is very very high.

Comment

Off Kimball,

What part of IN do you live in. I am just south of Ft. Wayne.

Comment

I guess I cant be much assistance if you guys are locked into the Collier County area; but the Hillsborough County Sheriff Department is hiring as well. Hillsborough County includes Tampa and all surronding areas. A 3/2 house with about 1500 sq ft. can be had for around $250,000 and even in some cases much less. Tons of new homes are available in the Brandon area, about 20 minutes south of Tampa, starting around $189,000. Just some food for thought.....JC
                    "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

Comment

looked into Hillsborough, the only thing that kept me from applying with them is that you have to have your state cert prior to applying. In my situation, I am limited on the time I am able to take off, so I am unable to go down to Fl for 2 weeks to get my state cert, as well as come down on subsequent trips to doing the testing process with different agencies. So I had to limit my choices to agencies whom would employ me first, and then put me through the 2 week course.
                      sigpic

Comment

I applied with Port Saint Lucie PD, They are a really progressive department and seem to be hiring a lot of officers plus starting pay is $37,500. The physical agility test was the state standard test you can find a very detailed description of it on the Florida Highway patrols web site. The hardest part was the dummy drag, but being a hose puller currently I had no problems. The B-pad is about 10 situations where you respond to the TV screen as if you were at the scene of the incident. The scenarios are things like traffic stops, crazy people and things like that. Best advice I could give would be keep calm and think about how you would like to be treated if the roles were reversed. The test was to show how you would react to people, not to test your police knowledge. If you do a serch on this site I believe that there is a overview of all the situations. Overall it was a very good experience. I am looking forward to getting back into law enforcement.

Comment

ktmguy23 ,
                          I sent you a PM it sounds like I am actually just south of you. What ILEA class did you complete? I was in 04-159.
                          Last edited by off_kimball; 06-02-2005, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Collier County does have a very high cost of living. But thats not in the entire county. There are some areas of the county that are decent and liveable for a cops salary. I live in the county and i get by ok. Alot of guys live out of county and commute to work to live in a cheaper area.

Comment

Hillsborough CO.

WCJC 30339,
                              I looked into Hillsborough in 2003 right after graduating from college. I was in the Police Corps. program I made it through HCSO process and meet some people with the department that were really helpful however, Police Corps lost there budget from the goverment due to the the jokers over seas acting like morans and the US needing to go over there again to get them straighten out. In Jan. 2004 I started here in Indiana and had no interest in applying back with police corps and completing another academy. A lot like Airforcop said I too am limited on time to take off and can only apply with departments willing to put us through the 2 week program. I think if HCSO would send people through the 2 week class they would get some really good experienced officers, not that they don't now, but they would get more. HCSO is a great department too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4640 users online. 204 members and 4436 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X