300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for you all

OK i have heard that some oral board interviewers like to ask a question like this "You pull over a car for a Dui or not stooping at a stop sign. what would you do If the person in the car is your Mom, best friend, neighbor or even your supervisor ?" What I want to know is if I were to give the interviewers a response that would punish the person in the car no matter who they are. would that be a correct response? Or should I give a response that would give special treatment to the person because of how I know them.

One of the interview boards I had asked a similiar question.
    I stated I'd rather arrest him for DUI than go to his funeral.
    They seemed to think that was a fairly decent answer.
    Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

One thing I have learned real fast reading these forums...

No matter what you say, stick with it. They will try and get you to change up.

There is also no right answer...but oddly enough there are some wrong ones .

Don't lie...thats just icky.
      Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
      For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
      Shall be my brother." - Henry V

Comment

I'm a dispatcher, for the time being, and even in my interview they asked situational questions for my position. I answered like I didnt even care about the job, which I did, but I mean I answered totally truthfully without worrying about what they would throw back. I came out first and was asked about going on future boards with my supervisors. I guess they thought I did well. Morale of the story, just be yourself and answer as if you were there, if they dont like it another dept will.
        "evil doers beware, where ever you may be"

Comment

I have been told to answer questions like that in the aspect of "the law is the law." So if you pull your mother over for DUI, the law says you are supposed to arrest her. Now, what happens in real life might be different. However, just remember that there are laws and as a police officer you are supposed to enforce them. You are not a judge that can determine which criminal acts can be enforced, they all should. Meaning, if you see someone steal something...arrest, DUI = arrest, etc. Do you guys agree with this?

Comment

As far as for just running the stop sign, if you say you'd ticket your mom they will know your b.s.'ing them.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              As far as for just running the stop sign, if you say you'd ticket your mom they will know your b.s.'ing them.
              Pfft. I'd totally ticket my mom. Although I'd probably enjoy it a little too much.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                What if you back it up with a situational story.

Say...your mom habitually runs stop signs and you know it for fact. OR something else along those lines. Obviously they wouldn't know that themselves so I would work it into the reasoning for the response, and more importantly...stuck with it..
                Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                Shall be my brother." - Henry V

Comment

It depends on what kind of department your looking into. By that I mean is it a nice suburban place where they are "service' oriented? That means they dont want a cop whos young and full of **** and vineger arresting everyone, of course they cant tell you who and what to do BUT they do pay you. OR is it a city place than maybe anything goes. I told my new place {They ahd the saem exact ?? except they pointed to 1 of the councilmen as being the drunk } I told them "As long as there were no other people involved as in a car accident or he didnt run anyone of the road , then I can help him get home as safe as possible' Then they emphasized that the department is a dervice type department, of course if there needs to be an arrest than cuff em. but if you can HELP someone out by gettng them home then do it.
                  there are no right or wrong answers, Just really depends on the type of department you are looking into.
                  Hope that helps and I know I might get some crap from the guys about 'service department' but hey they pay very well and if I gotta pinch someone then Iam gonna pinch em. If they need a short ride home them Ill give em a ride.
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8257 users online. 429 members and 7828 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X