300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Arizona?

O.k... I am a police officer in San Diego, CA (7.5yrs) and love the department. However, I don't love the City management and how they are breaking our back with the financial problems they have created. They have underfunded the retirement accounts and now they want to force the costs onto the employees. They want us (PD) to take a 6.5% pay cut by having us pay that additional amount into the retirement fund. The problem with their logic is that all it does it transfer the burden. It does nothing to increase the contributions of the city or decrease the amount of the debt.

I am thinking it won't be any better in a year. My fear is that after saddling us with this 6.5%, they will come back to us next year with their hands out and say... 'MORE!'

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do. There are several smaller agencies who are hiring and even offering signing bonuses to lateral over to them. I could do that, but if I am ready for the change I thought I might move to Arizona. It has a lower cost of living and I have a ton of equity in my house.

Can you guys/gals help me out. Which is the largest city in Arizona? Which is the busiest? Where is the best place to live? Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Dave
    “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Largest city is Phoenix. Best places to live are either east side, Gilbert, Chandler, etc. or west side Surprise, Avondale, Litchfield Park, Peoria. Phoenix PD is a GREAT department. You do not have to live in Phoenix city limits to work for them.

Good Luck
    She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office... That is the way to go!!
      www.mcso.org

They are all good departments though...
      ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Phoenix Police will take laterals with 3 years of peace officer employment with at least one year patrol experience. Must also be currently employed as a peace officer. Phoenix is hiring 500 during the next 2 years. I was just there 2 weeks ago to check housing out. I live in the bay area and the prices don't even compare. I just sent in the required lateral transfer application and i'm waiting for a response from them. Anymore questions let me know, although someone who currently works for them will know more info.

Comment

Phoenix PD All The Way

I am not a LEO, but work closely with many officers of Phx. PD. I have lived here for 30 years, and Phx. is a great place to be. Great weather, except for two months a year, low cost of living, young town, it is cool.

With all due respect, I wouldn't let my dog work for MCSO. The Sheriff is a total tool, and any deputy I have ever met hates working there. They are under-payed, never get raises, and now new deputies will have to work in the jails for at least a year prior to hitting the streets.... F that.

Also, Phx offers CEP pay which pays more for education, training, and experience.

Check out this site.

www.phoenix.gov/POLICE

Comment

AZ agencies

Hey,

I work for the City of Avondale. We are located on the West border of Phoenix. I have been with them going on my 5th year and I believe that this is the hottest, fastest growing agency in the valley.

We rank either number one or number two in salary and we are the fastest growing city on the west side. The population has increased about 30,000 in the last four years putting us around 65,000. We are expected to reach 90,000 before 2009.

The agency is relatively small (80 or so sworn) but we are hiring nearly 10 to 15 a year. There is a tremendous opportunity for career growth and the mayor and city council are pro-police which makes our job easier.

Now, I am not saying that we are without our problems as no agency is, I just believe that our department is going in the right direction and will be for sometime.

www.avondale.org for more info
            Just my 2 cents
            There's no substitute for strength,
            and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Also looking in AZ

I was getting ready to post a similar thread as softscrubb. I am currently a Deputy in the Bay Area and I am looking to move to a less expensive area, ie. AZ. Ready to use the equity in my house as well. I also have a lot of family in Tucson, so I am interested in the Pima County SO. Does anyone know their policy on laterals or anything about the department and its hiring practice? Also any other departments in Pima, Santa Cruz or Cochise County that someone might have info on would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for replies.
              Boy, It's not fun thinking about starting all over again. -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by depcaus
                I was getting ready to post a similar thread as softscrubb. I am currently a Deputy in the Bay Area and I am looking to move to a less expensive area, ie. AZ. Ready to use the equity in my house as well. I also have a lot of family in Tucson, so I am interested in the Pima County SO. Does anyone know their policy on laterals or anything about the department and its hiring practice? Also any other departments in Pima, Santa Cruz or Cochise County that someone might have info on would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for replies.
                Boy, It's not fun thinking about starting all over again. -Mike
                I heard on *********************** that Pima is hiring. Its great easy to navigate website and seems to be pretty updated and accurate.
                Good luck.
                I got nothing for now

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely look into what everyone said. I was thinking Phoenix primarily because it is the largest city. Standby. Keep a close watch on San Diego for how not to have a City run. All of the top administrators in the City, i.e... Mayor, City Manager, Deputy City Manager, Interim City Manager, City Auditor, Head of Human Resources... all have resigned and 6 members of the administration have just had felony charges placed against them by the District Attorney. Not to mention the three City Council members who have been charged with and are in trial for racketeering.

It is a shame. I hate to leave, but there is no where for them to take us but down.

Scrubb
                  “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

I live in Tempe. I moved here in April from Salt Lake. This place is HUGE, but you live in SD, so no biggie.

I am trying out for the MCSO on Saturday. I am already in the process of getting hired for the Phoenix PD, but it is taking forever and I don't like selling cars (my temp job).

I don't think you have to work the jails. They have two seperate hiring processes for DO and Deputys. The pay is slightly higher as a deputy than a PO in Phoenix (not enough to chose one over the other though).

I hope it goes well. I want to be a LEO on either one.

Comment

PHX PD Vs. MCSO

JML, I was surprised to see that you were correct, MCSO does pay about .40 per hour initially, but Phx has a better pay gig over all. MCSO pays $300 per year for uni allowance, but Phx. gives $1150 per year. Also, PHX pays more for bi-ling., training, education, etc. Also, in PHX. they have steady raises, more opportunity, etc. It is really a good gig. MCSO is okay too, but Phx. is where it is at. You could always get certified through MCSO and lateral over to PHX.

Good luck! Also, what is your status with Phx?

Comment

Max - I am trying to help my background investigator clear up some crap from when I was 18, just before I went in the Air Force.

Comment

JML- Stick with it bro, I know a bunch of guys that had similar hiccups that had to jump through a few extra hoops, but they made it happen, so can you. Just be super cool with your BI, remember, they want you as much as you want to work with them.

Comment

You cant compare Phx PD with MCSO. MCSO is a good agency with tons of great people but Phx offers the most to their staff. If you want specifics email me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch
                              Maricopa County Sheriff's Office... That is the way to go!!
                              www.mcso.org

They are all good departments though...

I am gonne have to go with Hutch on this one. I personally know some MC deputies and have done internships with them in the past, they are a great bunch and a good dept.

On a side note, another nice place to live (if there's any room left there) is Fountain Hills, AZ. Believe me, its beautiful and only about 30-40 min out of pheonix (I guess that is a bit far). Just a thought.

Best- John

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12211 users online. 438 members and 11773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X