Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes St . Petersburg such a bad dept? Any details ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes St . Petersburg such a bad dept? Any details ?

I've wondered this myself, and Ive spoken to several officers thruout FL. The only only answers I can seem to get are that the morale is horrible because of a terrible administration.

Originally posted by off_kimball

Comment

I don't want to bad mouth the department at all, because I am not a part of the department, but the Administration does not support the officers, and concedes to community interests.

See www.LEOaffairs.com, go to message boards, then st. Pete PD.

It's too bad, the officers with the department are top-notch.

Comment

St. Pete is one of the most racially divided cities in the country. The Uhuru movement always, ALWAYS, sticks their nose into everything racial, or tries to make a racial issue out of it. As a result, city politicians often cave to their pressure, and pressure the PD to do something more or different. So then you have upper level supervisors in the PD apologizing for things their officers SHOULD have done, or schedule some new sensitivity type training. Any mistake an officer makes is magnified if it involves any hint of a race. A prime example is the 5 yr old black girl that got handcuffed a few weeks ago after she tore up a school room and repeatedly hit her teacher. The officers on the film were white so it became a circus, and the Chief ended up saying it was wrong. Talk about alienating the rank and file. That's SPPD in a nutshell. To think that I almost worked there makes me really appreciate where I am now.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

I have heard that it was bad, but no reasons to back it up. I am currently a Police Officer here in Indiana and would like to move to FL. With SPPD they will pay for my 2 weeks EOT training. Most other departments won't. I don't really have the time and money to go down there and put myself through the 2 week EOT and State Exam. However, I think I'll keep looking because SPPD has some of the same problems I am trying to leave behind. I am on a small department right now (33 OFFICERS) and we have bad morale. On top of that given the opportunity the administration will hang you if the opportunity arises. We don't have the racism problem. I could always use it as a stepping stone but I am trying to get somewhere and stay. I started out here on a Department that had a higher turn over than I don't know what (due to pay
          21,500. per YR no OT or off-duty work) took my free ride to the academy and jumped on the next department I could, moving me to 33,000 plus OT.

Man, looking at some articles I have read on the internet St Pete's citizens run the streets and call the shots not the police.

Comment

Collier County will pay for your EOT class, hotel, per diem, plus your normal salary while you're up there.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I looked into Collier County and still see it as an option. However, their pay scale isn't what St. Pete's and The Tampa area pay is. My guess is that property would be hire in the Collier Co area. Trust me I am looking at everything as an option. Broward CO and Ft lauderdale looks like they pay for EOT and pay pretty well so I may look into that.

Comment

What's the pay difference? Less than 5 grand?

Working in a place that has awful morale probably isn't worth the 5 grand difference. I took a $7500 pay cut to leave a place with terrible morale, and it was WELL worth the lost money. I went from a place where 35 year olds looked like they were 50, to a place where people look their age. Morale and stress does make a difference.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12937 users online. 491 members and 12446 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X