300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottsdale, AZ, PD

First post, but been lurking for some time.

Took the Scottsdale PD entrance exam this past weekend and did OK. Physical scores were not quite as high as I would've liked -- 50 pushups (1 minute), 41 situps (1 minute) 12:30 in the 1.5 mile -- but well above the minimums.

Scored an 88 out of possible 100 on the written, which I guess is pretty good. Have oral boards tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Have to begin filling out this ginormous background check package

FWIW, I'm 36 years old and am going through what I call a midlife career crisis. I'm a writer with a degree in journalism and have made my living writing for my entire professional life. But I also did a spell in the Army, combat MP and was in the first Gulf War.

I'm looking for a different career as I've grown jaded by the 9 to 5 white collar thing. I haven't yet applied to any other department here in the Valley, as I live in Scottsdale and would love to work near home. We'll see how this thing pans out.

Anyway, just saying hi. If anyone's interested, I follow-up as I get further along.
    dion

sounds like you did pretty good and good luck!

Comment

Good Luck.... Hope it goes well for ya!!!
      "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
      "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

Just got back from the oral board. Really tough to tell, but I think I did a decent job overall. They made me stumble in a couple of places, but I feel mostly positive about it. Guess we'll see.
        d

Comment

Hola Fellow Zonie

Hey, strong work! You have a lot to be proud of.

If I may reccomend looking at Phx. PD also. They are the largest in the state, they pay well, and they pay you more for education. I have done TONS of research on AZ depts. and Phx. keeps rising to the top. I need to get my run time down and then I am all about it.

Plus, Phx. has over 80 different details that you can transfer to after three years in patrol. I love the idea of getting a new assignement each year, to help combat boredom.

Anyway, best of luck, keep in touch.

Comment

Will do. I haven't (yet) applied to any other department. My ex-girlfriend's ex-husband (convoluted, huh?) works a vice assignment for Phx PD and really seemed to enjoy the department and the job.
            d

Comment

Dredging this back up from the dead. Evidently I passed my oral boards and I did turn in my enormous background packet on 5.17. Got a callback today that my background passed at least the initial cursory inspection and it's currently with the background investigator.

I did meet the BI when I turned the packet in and he seemed cool and professional. Was told I should hear something next week as to the next step in the process.

So, all in all, appears to be moving forward.
              d

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                Hey, strong work! You have a lot to be proud of.

If I may reccomend looking at Phx. PD also. They are the largest in the state, they pay well, and they pay you more for education. I have done TONS of research on AZ depts. and Phx. keeps rising to the top. I need to get my run time down and then I am all about it.

Plus, Phx. has over 80 different details that you can transfer to after three years in patrol. I love the idea of getting a new assignement each year, to help combat boredom.

Anyway, best of luck, keep in touch.

Max, does PPD pay you for promoting their department. Just curious
                There's no substitute for strength,
                and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Chop Shop.

Nice one, but fair ?. No, they don't pay me, but I have a bunch of buddies that work @ 800 pct. and they love it there. I am choosing Phx. because of the opportunities they have. Room for promotion, etc. Plus, you have to admit that the CEP stuff is pretty cool. Extra cash for training, degrees, specialty assignments, etc.

I just love the idea of after three years in patrol having the option to transfer to different squads, other then just the basics.

How do you like Avondale? I hear good things about it.

Comment

Good choice Max

I have never meet a Phoenix cop that was not happy. When I was in the Academy I realized just how good Phoenix has it.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                      Chop Shop.

Nice one, but fair ?. No, they don't pay me, but I have a bunch of buddies that work @ 800 pct. and they love it there. I am choosing Phx. because of the opportunities they have. Room for promotion, etc. Plus, you have to admit that the CEP stuff is pretty cool. Extra cash for training, degrees, specialty assignments, etc.

I just love the idea of after three years in patrol having the option to transfer to different squads, other then just the basics.

How do you like Avondale? I hear good things about it.

Avondale is great. It is growing so fast. We too pay for CEP cert as well. I think that Avondale will be one of the best agencies to work for within 5 years. I had the opp to go to phx but I didn't care for two things. 1 the agency is too big, I have a lot of friends who work there and feel as if they are just a number. And two, when I applied I was told that you would spend a lot of time as the booking officer at Madison.... yuck. no thanks. I guess it's not so bad now that the 4th ave jail is open but still. I think I will just stay were I am, the career advancement is opps are great. Good luck with you and your testing.
                      There's no substitute for strength,
                      and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Chop,

Yah, I heard about that jail thing a while ago, but now I understand they are using other means to fill that spot like OT, etc. They need to hire a ton of officers. The squads that really interest me are the Air Unit, legal unit, and Street crimes.

Avondale is a really cool city, it is growing like crazy! I bet you are right, in five years it will be huge!

Take care, and stay cool.

Comment

Where will Avendale grow to. The only place they can grow is south. If you want an agency and a city that is going to grow, you want Peoria. Peoria's northern end is in two counties and borders Phoenix to the east and will eventually go over the top of Surprise and border with Buckeye.

Buckeye is another growing agency that will be huge. However they are going through some political growing pains right now. And it is believed that they are going to grow faster then they can provide services.

Comment

Good points, MCgrif.

For me, it is all about future opportunities for promotion and growth. I like Phx for all the different details (over 80) you can put in for. Smaller depts. are great, but if I want to fly, and the little dept. doesn't have one aircraft, let alone a dozen, that is not going to happen.

Comment

Hey Arizona guys, I gotta ask. Just how freakin hot is it? I mean I deal with Pittsburghs hot humid summers, they can reach 90 and high humidity of anywhere over60-70 maybe even 80%. I would love to be part of a possitive growing area but I dont think I could deal with 110 wearing a vest I also have 10+ years and would hate to do another 6 month academy. Are all those towns and cities hiring laterals {I know, I checked Phoenix website} what about the smaller growing places..???
                              E
                              I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13401 users online. 428 members and 12973 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X