300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving current job

I was wondering if any LEO in CA had gotten there through the buasic course cert waiver. I am leaving my job in Iowa to go to CA so my partner can attend Grad. school in Chico,CA. I know I will miss LE but don't have the money to sponsor myself through the basic academy. At my current LE job my co-workers say that I can't get out of LE because I am good at it (and enjoy it most days). I just don't know what to do Any info or advise or rants would be helpful.

Apply at a local agency and have them put you through the academy instead. Sure, it will suck having to go through the academy again but it all depends on how much the job is worth to you.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

CA agencies 99% of the time don't sponsor the academy. It is a self sponsored program.

Comment

Where did you get that number from??? An awful lot of agencies have their own academies out here, OCSD, LASD, LAPD, a lot of sponsored guys going to Rio Hondo, etc.

Originally posted by Sag22
        CA agencies 99% of the time don't sponsor the academy. It is a self sponsored program.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Where in Iowa are you? I'm in northeast Iowa. I went through the ILEA in 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
            Yeah! More Iowans..We're gonna take over O.COm!!!!!!!!! Watch out!!

What's your 10-20?
            Sweet, love to meet fellow Iowans. I'm in McGregor which is right on the Wis border in NE Iowa. We're about 50 miles north of Dubuque. You?

Comment

Marshalltown....Smack dap in the middle of the state..Great to meet you!!!
              Nice to meet you also. I go by Marshalltown quite often when I'm headed to the academy for training.

Comment

Check out the California Post Website and look at their qualifications to switch over to a POST cert. You send all that info into them and they make the final desicion to give u a cert or not.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Comment

Sending your info to POST is a good idea. You might be able just to take the sections which weren't covered in Iowa. I hate to be the one to give you bad news...but homes in CA are going for an average price of three hundered thousand dollars. And thats being nice!! Most agenices out here barley pay you enough to make it. We'll thats if you have kids and a family.

Seems like you and your partner don't have the kiddos. My advise is once your partner get their degree...get out of CA. I'm looking to move back to Texas just because of the house prices. If you don't believe me just go to realtor.com and look around at different CA cities...you'll see.

Chico has a pretty good PD..I went to DUI school with a couple of their officers..summer is good cause all the college kids are out of town.

Well I'll get off the soap box now. Good Luck and welcome to California soon anyway...
                  "Inside the ring or out. It doesn't really matter wether your get knock down or not. What you do after does."

Comment

300k who are you kidding, you can't even get a crack house in SoCal for 300k

Originally posted by smurf
                    but homes in CA are going for an average price of three hundered thousand dollars.
                    Last edited by pkagel; 05-12-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Well..Hell...Stop in for a brew or two!!!!!!!!!!
                      yeah that sounds like a great idea..Hopefully I can get down that way sometime in the near future..

Comment

call POST or email POST at:

POST website..............www.post.ca.gov

Call / fax.......................916.227.3909
                        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                        -- John Wayne

Comment

Hey whatsup to the Iowa guys! I'm on the eastern part of the state in Iowa City.

As for POST cert I added up all the training hours that I have and I have over the 664 required, but I am a total of 7 hours short on a few of the specific requirement categories. I am going to try and scrape up enough training before I leave to qualify.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10672 users online. 361 members and 10311 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X