Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Reserve/Aux Police Positions?

I've been reading the boards here for a while and have been interested in putting some of my free time back into the sorrounding area's police aux/reserve programs.

I currently work in the IT Field 3 days on/4days off, 4 days on/3days off night shift. (22y/o, 23 in June). Clean record, just a few speeding tickets. So I have a lot of free time.

The problem I am having is actually finding any reserve or aux programs in my area. I live in Upper Marlboro, MD & Bowie, MD area. Does anyone know of any of the sorrounding PD's that have any AUX/Reserve programs? Also, if you do have any information, could you tell me what the hiring/training & on-the job duties will include (fully sworn, same training standards, arrest powers vs non)

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks,
    -Mike

Balto Co

Here is a link to Balto Co's auxillary unit.

http://www.auxpolice.org/
    "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Hey there..small world here...born and raised in Crofton and now on the Eastern Shore..

Check Annne Arundel County as I know for a fact they have Aux. Police as I see them out alot
      Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC
        Hey there..small world here...born and raised in Crofton and now on the Eastern Shore..

Check Annne Arundel County as I know for a fact they have Aux. Police as I see them out alot
        I was looking into them, but it looks as if they are non-sworn and not carrying anything. I will have to look into them a bit more, going to call them today.

I did find a few more last night. MPDC has a tiered program, and Fairfax Co as well. Hope I can get in on one of those.

Thanks,
        -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC

I found the AA Co. reserve program page.. Here is a quote:
          "The Reserve Officer is not compensated monetarily, is not authorized to carry weapons, and is not vested arrest authority from this program. Uniforms and Police transportation will be furnished for official duties."

Honestly, I would rather not wear a uniform in that situation.. What are your thoughts on it? Look exactly like a full fledge cop, but no arrest authority, no weapon, no asp, no oc but the "Bad Dudes TM" don't know any difference.

-Mike

Comment

I may be wrong on this, but I do not think that any Reserve/Aux. for depts in Maryland are sworn positions. The Aux. for Anne Arundel co. do go through some kind of training and I believe they wear brown uniforms, which AA Police wear Blue, so you would be able to tell the difference. It's not like places in the south where they have you ride with an Officer, give you the gun and badge and allow you to arrest people. They mainly use them in Maryland and other places for traffic control at accidents, events such as concerts, etc. It's a good program to assist the sworn guys/gals in assisting with some of their daily tasks/calls, to free them up to respond to other calls for service.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
              I may be wrong on this, but I do not think that any Reserve/Aux. for depts in Maryland are sworn positions. The Aux. for Anne Arundel co. do go through some kind of training and I believe they wear brown uniforms, which AA Police wear Blue, so you would be able to tell the difference. It's not like places in the south where they have you ride with an Officer, give you the gun and badge and allow you to arrest people. They mainly use them in Maryland and other places for traffic control at accidents, events such as concerts, etc. It's a good program to assist the sworn guys/gals in assisting with some of their daily tasks/calls, to free them up to respond to other calls for service.

Looks like you are correct. The only departments that are sworn/issued weapons of any kind are the Tier Class 2 (asp/oc) and class 1 (Issued firearm) in MPDC, and Fairfax looks to be sworn as well. I guess I will concentrate on those first.

Thanks,
              -Mike

Comment

doofoo: I'm an aux. officer in Fairfax and I sent you a PM.
                ----

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9044 users online. 308 members and 8736 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X