Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdcop4life
    I live in D.C. and work in Md.

USSS, USCP - Ask yourself do you really want to sit down and be a sitting duck at a building all day? On the flip side I have heard that USCP are one of the highest paid depts overall....excellent salary.

Maryland Nat. Cap. Police - Jurisdiction is limited in Montgomery County, run of the county in PG. Two different agencies within one agency...you have to specify. Do you want to be busy and stay busy? PG. Do you not mind limited jurisdiction, but a great quality of people to work with overall? Montgomery................... Take home if you live in PG or Montgomery, regardless of which one you work for.

Maryland State Police - The state boys are great. Good retirement. Depending on where you end up living, you may have a long commute to work everyday. Flip side....take home straight out of FTO! In PG and Montgomery Counties you will be running traffic all day and answering calls for service on the highway. Further out in certain suburbs...the state boys are the police in the community.

Do you have credits? Have you thought about Montgomery County Police? Or even Prince Geroges County Police?

Good luck, let me know if I can help. Been in the biz for 7 years here in Maryland.

Thanks...I will PM you when i get home on some topics

When you say credits,are you refering to schooling?

Also,the jurisdriction issue has me kinda confused.....Aren't all the counties limited to each respect county? Anne Arundel to AA, Prince georges to PG..etc....Obviously,the state is the state but is this different then counties?
    Leave Space Empty

Comment

Msp

In counties that have a police department the state police only handle the highways in those areas (95, 895, 695, etc). That being said, all they do is traffic and handle accidents while making sure that their hats are on straight in those areas. In the more rural areas, they are the police in many cases. In my opinion I would rather be a local cop where it is busy and I know my back-up is close by then the rural areas where if something does go bad your back-up is 15+ minutes away. Like mentioned before the salary and take home cars are a big incentive. It all depends on what kind of police you want to be. Local are going to see a lot more action. If you want to make a lot of money and be a security guard I would recommend Uniformed SS.
      "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
        In counties that have a police department the state police only handle the highways in those areas (95, 895, 695, etc). That being said, all they do is traffic and handle accidents while making sure that their hats are on straight in those areas. In the more rural areas, they are the police in many cases. In my opinion I would rather be a local cop where it is busy and I know my back-up is close by then the rural areas where if something does go bad your back-up is 15+ minutes away. Like mentioned before the salary and take home cars are a big incentive. It all depends on what kind of police you want to be. Local are going to see a lot more action. If you want to make a lot of money and be a security guard I would recommend Uniformed SS.

Thanks.....I am interested in different depts. those listed are my starting points...They are the only 2 who will answer the overtime question I have asked...Is overtime readily available to those who desire it???? any department for that matter...It is extremely difficult to get this answer.
        Leave Space Empty

Comment

OT at Balto CO

As far as OT at Balto Co, you get most of your OT for Court and late lock ups. If you get a lock up at the end of your shift you obviously stay until it is done. You can also get OT if the next shift is short and they hold people over which will vary from precinct to precinct and shift supervisor. Right now they are in a budget crunch until July 1st so they have orders out to keep OT to a minimum. As far as court, Balto Co has the best thing going. If you get court on day off it is min. of 4 hrs OT and another day off. The best way to build OT is to work Midnight shift and then all of your court time is OT. A lot of officers who just want extra money work secondary as security somewhere.
          "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
            As far as OT at Balto Co, you get most of your OT for Court and late lock ups. If you get a lock up at the end of your shift you obviously stay until it is done. You can also get OT if the next shift is short and they hold people over which will vary from precinct to precinct and shift supervisor. Right now they are in a budget crunch until July 1st so they have orders out to keep OT to a minimum. As far as court, Balto Co has the best thing going. If you get court on day off it is min. of 4 hrs OT and another day off. The best way to build OT is to work Midnight shift and then all of your court time is OT. A lot of officers who just want extra money work secondary as security somewhere.

Thanks Matt....With my business now,I am driving on the major highways all the time so something about patrolling those same highways really tweeks my interests...more so then the local communities
            Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer Dave
              MDSP troopers make alot of $$ but you have to spend 6 months at their live-in academy in Pikesville, MD. Sucks if you have a family. Hope this helps.
              MSP are not the highest paid in Maryland. And the Academy, they do allow you to go home on most weekends, granted you have not screwed up, etc.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10498 users online. 386 members and 10112 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X