Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maryland and Federal

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maryland and Federal

    I take my POST test for the Uniform Division Secret Service in 2 weeks and 1 for the US Capitol Police in 1 month.

    I am also looking into the US and Maryland National Park Police along with the Maryland State Police


    Any thoughts or suggestions on these???

    I am 34yo and looking at leaving from my present field of being a Master Electrician along with the day to day running of the electrical company i work for...


    Thanks for any help


    edit----meant to add this to my original thread....my fault....jeez,I feel like a dummy
    Leave Space Empty

  • #2
    Since your on the Eastern Shore, why not try for Ocean City or any departments on that side? Baltimore is hiring (both city and county).
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by orlandofed5-0
      Since your on the Eastern Shore, why not try for Ocean City or any departments on that side? Baltimore is hiring (both city and county).


      Eastern Shore just across the Bay Bridge so near Annapolis....OC is too far away(2.5 hours) and I have looked at B-more County( waiting on some more info from a recruiter) but not interested in the city.....

      Most depts. on my side start with a really low pay( 30K) and I can't swing that...I will take a pay cut which I know,understand and can live with but that's too much of one there.....I can't swing a 50% cut
      Leave Space Empty

      Comment


      • #4
        Good luck with USSS, I heard the process is hell. Have you looked into the Pentagon Force Protection Team (I think that's what it's called)? I heard they make buku bucks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Serpico
          Good luck with USSS, I heard the process is hell. Have you looked into the Pentagon Force Protection Team (I think that's what it's called)? I heard they make buku bucks.

          Thanks and yes I saw what your talking about but it requires a 4 year degree and i only have a AA Degree.....That dropped from FBI,DEA and others right away...I have an SS Agent who has given me a referal so hope that helps...The 1 thing we are not sure about is the drug reference i made in my first post....This being in 2 weeks,just think I'll let it ride and see what happens...if they boot me right off the bat then I'll start calling the others to question the 1 time usage I refered too. I do know the UDSS and Capitol Hill allow you to work as much as you want....I work 50+ hours a week now and want to keep that...I'm salary now so I'd love to get paid some mega OT for sure....


          Do most depatments allow those to who choose to work as much OT as they want? I am having a hard time finding answers on this question.
          Leave Space Empty

          Comment


          • #6
            GPOC,
            Keep in mind, the departments in/near DC pay more because it's expensive as **** to live there, which i'm sure you already know since you live near the area now. Do you plan on commuting? I just took the POST for SS UD too. I'd really like to go federal, but i'm not looking forward to living in DC so much.
            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Washingtonian
              GPOC,
              Keep in mind, the departments in/near DC pay more because it's expensive as **** to live there, which i'm sure you already know since you live near the area now. Do you plan on commuting? I just took the POST for SS UD too. I'd really like to go federal, but i'm not looking forward to living in DC so much.

              Definately comute for me....I'm roughly and hour away,maybe 45min. off hours...I drive all day so that's no biggie to me......yes,you are correct with the housing$$$$....I bought a house 2.5 years ago right before everything went thru the roof
              Leave Space Empty

              Comment


              • #8
                MDSP troopers make alot of $$ but you have to spend 6 months at their live-in academy in Pikesville, MD. Sucks if you have a family. Hope this helps.
                EXPLORE HARDCORE

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Explorer Dave
                  MDSP troopers make alot of $$ but you have to spend 6 months at their live-in academy in Pikesville, MD. Sucks if you have a family. Hope this helps.
                  Yes,i saw this but you can come home on weekends...There academy is only about 1 hour from me so not that bad....If i make it Federal,they send you to Georgia for up to 16 str8 weeks.

                  Where in Md. are you?
                  Leave Space Empty

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GPOC
                    Yes,i saw this but you can come home on weekends...There academy is only about 1 hour from me so not that bad....If i make it Federal,they send you to Georgia for up to 16 str8 weeks.

                    Where in Md. are you?
                    Just a heads up but Glynco/FLETC is not 16 weeks for MBPTP (which you would attend for USSS-UD). Its 13 weeks and then you return and go to Beltsville where you will continue your training at the USSS academy for I belive another 10 weeks. Justhope and pray you dont get sent to the academy in NM as they had sent alot from the last UD classes there.

                    Also look into MdTA police as they are hiring. Job is pretty good from what Ive heard although you will be doing lot of traffic enforcement.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by orlandofed5-0
                      Just a heads up but Glynco/FLETC is not 16 weeks for MBPTP (which you would attend for USSS-UD). Its 13 weeks and then you return and go to Beltsville where you will continue your training at the USSS academy for I belive another 10 weeks. Justhope and pray you dont get sent to the academy in NM as they had sent alot from the last UD classes there.

                      Also look into MdTA police as they are hiring. Job is pretty good from what Ive heard although you will be doing lot of traffic enforcement.

                      Thanx Orlando for all the help...The 16 weeks I refered too was for the Capitol Police which I have applied for also. What's wrong with NM?????

                      The training site for USSS at Beltsville is unreal and really cool to see. I have done worked there before and watched some of the training.That place is unreal.

                      Looked at the Md.TA but not sure about that one yet. Those guys are brutal on tickets here. I travel a bridge they patrol right by house everyday
                      Leave Space Empty

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GPOC
                        Thanx Orlando for all the help...The 16 weeks I refered too was for the Capitol Police which I have applied for also. What's wrong with NM?????

                        The training site for USSS at Beltsville is unreal and really cool to see. I have done worked there before and watched some of the training.That place is unreal.

                        Looked at the Md.TA but not sure about that one yet. Those guys are brutal on tickets here. I travel a bridge they patrol right by house everyday
                        Just to let you know, USCP isn't 16 weeks in GA. When I went through (just graduated from FLETC in Sept 04) is was 8 weeks, 6 days a week. Now it is 10 weeks in Ga., 5 days a week. Then from there you go to Cheltenham for another 10 weeks, approx. Not to bad now but those 6 days a week were a pain.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by manstown
                          Just to let you know, USCP isn't 16 weeks in GA. When I went through (just graduated from FLETC in Sept 04) is was 8 weeks, 6 days a week. Now it is 10 weeks in Ga., 5 days a week. Then from there you go to Cheltenham for another 10 weeks, approx. Not to bad now but those 6 days a week were a pain.


                          Well damn...my buddy graduates in June and I thought that is what he said but maybe it was the combined Ga. and Cheltenham he was refering too...Anyway,thanks and GL with it...I have 2 good friends in the USCP....1 for 2.5 years and 1 who is graduating soon....Hope I can make #3......Hell,hope any of them come thru actually but really pulling for my first 2 choices....

                          Any info/help you can give me,I'd appreciate it
                          Leave Space Empty

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Capitol Police

                            I tested for the Capitol Police last summer; I don't think I scored high enough on the written. It was the first police test I had taken so I was very nervous. This guy I knew was on the job with the Capitol Police for 2 years he did very well, but there was no action. Almost everyone who he graduated with had left within a year. There are a lot of applicants going for the capitol police I think last year there was over 300. Hope it helps
                            Kevin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GPOC
                              I take my POST test for the Uniform Division Secret Service in 2 weeks and 1 for the US Capitol Police in 1 month.

                              I am also looking into the US and Maryland National Park Police along with the Maryland State Police


                              Any thoughts or suggestions on these???

                              I am 34yo and looking at leaving from my present field of being a Master Electrician along with the day to day running of the electrical company i work for...


                              Thanks for any help


                              edit----meant to add this to my original thread....my fault....jeez,I feel like a dummy
                              I live in D.C. and work in Md.

                              USSS, USCP - Ask yourself do you really want to sit down and be a sitting duck at a building all day? On the flip side I have heard that USCP are one of the highest paid depts overall....excellent salary.

                              Maryland Nat. Cap. Police - Jurisdiction is limited in Montgomery County, run of the county in PG. Two different agencies within one agency...you have to specify. Do you want to be busy and stay busy? PG. Do you not mind limited jurisdiction, but a great quality of people to work with overall? Montgomery................... Take home if you live in PG or Montgomery, regardless of which one you work for.

                              Maryland State Police - The state boys are great. Good retirement. Depending on where you end up living, you may have a long commute to work everyday. Flip side....take home straight out of FTO! In PG and Montgomery Counties you will be running traffic all day and answering calls for service on the highway. Further out in certain suburbs...the state boys are the police in the community.

                              Do you have credits? Have you thought about Montgomery County Police? Or even Prince Geroges County Police?

                              Good luck, let me know if I can help. Been in the biz for 7 years here in Maryland.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7932 users online. 291 members and 7641 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X