300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairfax County, VA Police Department

I just took the test for Fairfax County Police Department. Can anyone give me any information about whether its good department to work for, etc. Pros and Cons? What is the county like to work and live in? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Fairfax is EXPENSIVE. I almost moved there while living in VA, but found I couldn't even get an apartment for less than $800/mo. I don't know how well the Dept. pays, but it's kinda upscale, so to speak.
    It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

I had previously heard that Fairfax county was comparable to NYC cost of living. Thats one thing I am a little worried about. If anyone can tell me anything more about the area or the department I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Comment

they have a lot of ground to cover just south of dc. I see them out all the time. They definitley make their presence known. I haven't really heard much about the department, but the area is expensive. There are places you can get cheaper, but you would more than likley have to live outside the county. Im know they tend to stay busy, being the first county in VA south of DC they get some overflow crime. They always seemed very professional to me. Good luck.

Comment

They need more officers to keep up with the demand to execute all my AOL search warrants..

Comment

Traffic and drivers in Va. are terrible...I dread going there to work every so often
            Leave Space Empty

Comment

It is just the traffic that you dread? From what I hear, maryland and virginia are really nice places to live. Anyways, thank you all for your help. I would appreciate any additional info. thanks

Comment

I guess being from Md. I am partial to that but Va. is just crazy IMO....There are some very nice areas for sure....Fairfax Co. is actually not that bad overall...I work when in Va. mostly in Fairfax and Arlington Counties but yes the day to day driving there is just brutal....but hey,you will hopefully have lights to get thru it all.....

GL bro and if ya venture to Md. I can help ya more
                Leave Space Empty

Comment

I took the test twice in the last few years and I would have moved there BUT it is super expensive. Cheap house is no less than 300,000 The top pay as of last eyar was around 62,000- 65,000 BUT it takes 9 years to max out. Great department training, people, area is getting saturatedf with gangs, MS-13 A real bad gang of mexicans and central american types. Good area to work, probably very busy but like everyone else said, MAJOR traffic, major cost of living and the pay is not comparable what it shoud be. PM for any other ???s you might have. I owould get more detaile dbut Iam kinda away for the weekend and gotta get back to the family.
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

yeah thanks for the info. i appreciate it. It seems like the biggest thing is the cost of living which is a little discouraging but a very important thing to know. Do you think all the negatives would be as significant to worry about if I were to leave the department after a couple years and transfer to another? I was thinking that even if these things were a big negative, that Fairfax would be a great place to start and get some expirience since this would be my first job. I am only 21 and just graduated from college. Thanks again

Comment

Re

MBNB,

As others mentioned, there is overflow crime from Dc, and the gang problem is growing rapidly. Don't let that discourage you, as it comes with the job as we all know. However, Fairfax is still a great place to live and raise a family. Lots to do. If you really search, you can find a decent place for under 800, and some may give LEO discounts..I'm not sure. You could always live in nearby Loudon County as well.

I know for one thing, that FCP has a strict no-smoking policy, on and off duty.
                      "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

Thanks Gil. I really appreciate the input. It sounds like Fairfax is a great place. I will definitely take this seriously. All these responses have helped me tremendously. Not that I have had a troubled past but does anyone know if they have really strict hiring policies? How intense is it, etc. ?

Comment

Re

MBNB,
                          Sure, no problem. Glad to help. As far as their process, background, etc. I honestly couldn't tell you, since i have never applied there. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with their dept.will answer that for you.

Gil
                          "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7484 users online. 390 members and 7094 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X