Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh oh. I had a warrant out for my arrest in Louisiana.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh. I had a warrant out for my arrest in Louisiana.

I told the Phoenix PD about an incident where I was charged with posession (my friends had stuff on them, I didn't).

Anyway, the DA in New Iberia, LA, dropped the charges because I really didn't do anything and because I was going in the AF. I PERSONALLY met with him.

Now, it turns out that there was a warrant that I never took care of. Basically, whoever was supposed to put it in the records that the charges were dropped did not do their job. In the records I guess I still had the charge and therefore did not take care of the $500 fine.

The warrant is not current due to statute of limitations, but still, it is on my record.

This happened over 6 years ago. I have since been honorably discharged from the Air Force (well, I will on May 18th).

What do I do? This might kill my chances I would think, and it is totally not my fault.

Is this something that can be fixed?

I start selling cars on Saturday in Phoenix. I need a job bad, and it seems like I will have a good one because I really like the dealership. I will probably make some bank, but I still want to be a police officer.

Ahhhh!!!!

What do you mean the warrant is not current due to the statute of limitations? Onces a warrant is issued, the statute of limitations clock stops.

Comment

That is what the background investigator told me.

Comment

What did your BI say? Did you tell him/her everything? I think you are still in the game, especially if the agency that issued the warrant backs your story.

Let me know.

Comment

How about hiring a lawyer and getting it cleared up in La?
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Send them some gumbo, and all will be well.

Comment

I can't afford a lawyer.

What happens if there is a different DA and they have no knowledge of the incident? This could be really easy to fix, or it could be a horrendous nightmare.

I was really young and too stupid to keep the agreement that I believe I signed.

On an OT note, some gumbo and crawfish sure sounds good. I have been in Utah (and now AZ) for so long that I forgot what that stuff tastes like.

Comment

You can't NOT afford a lawyer if you really care about working in LE
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Hmm, if I have to get and pay for a lawyer, someone is going to lose their job while I am at it because this would cost me a crazy ammount of money in loss of work and travel.

Comment

You have got to be kidding?

I agree with the earlier statement. If this is a career and not just a summer job I'd be borrowing some $$$ from mommy and getting this taken care of. Your fellow officers, being a new officer, will certainly hear of this warrant and the trust level is then nothing...when there is no trust...you have nothing!

Comment

I owe mommy $2000 still (my 65 Mustang hot rod cost a little too much). I haven't decided if the job is just for the summer. I am quite confident in my ability to pull in $50K plus in a year just starting out. I would rather make $40K in the PD though, you know.

I still haven't heard back from my background investigator. I will call her Monday.

But, as far as the damage goes, is it permanent? What I mean is, even if Phoenix finds out that I am being truthful about the warrant being wrong, are the records fixable immediately?

I am not really sure how this works. I also don't want to bug my background investigator because she knows what she is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                        I can't afford a lawyer.

What happens if there is a different DA and they have no knowledge of the incident? This could be really easy to fix, or it could be a horrendous nightmare.

I was really young and too stupid to keep the agreement that I believe I signed.

On an OT note, some gumbo and crawfish sure sounds good. I have been in Utah (and now AZ) for so long that I forgot what that stuff tastes like.
                        You're AF?? Talk to your JAG. They won't be able to represent you, but they will advise, and maybe be able to point you to a local well priced attorney
                        RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

I can get JAG, but I have tried them before and they were worthless for any advice in a civil case for me.

I will see what the Phoenix PD says.

I hope this will clear up.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                            I can get JAG, but I have tried them before and they were worthless for any advice in a civil case for me.

I will see what the Phoenix PD says.

I hope this will clear up.
                            I know they are officers, but they couldn't even point you in the direction of someone who could help you??? Definetly be talking with the PD, they'll let you know your options. Don't be afraid to be active in clearing it up. You may not be a lawyer. Did you say your paperwork from the incident? I know it has been 6 years. Hope these random ideas at least help a little
                            RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

I am going to give her a call on Monday. I do want the contact information so I can fix this.

I can't go into the Air Force with a warrant on my record, so I hope they are allowed to put 2 and 2 together.

usafcop - Where are you stationed at. I am in SF, getting out officially on the 18th. I was at Hill for 6 years, but deployed 6 times.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10843 users online. 386 members and 10457 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X