Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hiring process

Hello

This is my first thread, so I'll try and be as simple as possible. Any responses would be gratefully appreciated.

I am going through my background investigations right now for Orange County (Ca) Sheriffs. I have taken the written psych, oral psych, oral board, etc. As far as I know, I am only waiting on my polygraph.

but last week I recieved a letter that said I cannot get hired until I get my cholesterol checked. I guess i have high Cholesterol. News to me, I'm only 27 and in above average shape.

Anyways, would high cholesterol keep me from getting hired?! And what if a Doc puts me on medication for it? Is that a big deal?

Also, as far as the polygraph, that has me worried. I already have disclosed everything, so I don't need to lie about anything. However, I've been told by friends who are in LE that the test is very nerve racking, and that even being fully honest, you can still fail?! So I was wondering if I do fail for some reason (even being fully honest) am I permanantly DQ'd from getting a job?

Thanks for your time.

Haven't ever heard of high cholesterol being a DQ, don't really see how it could be, but you should get some medical standards from the department if they will give them to you. Maybe they just want you to get it checked for your own personal safety. Catch it and treat it early sort of thing. By the way, how the hell do they know about your cholesterol?

As for your other question, Many people have failed poly's and gone on to LE careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
      Haven't ever heard of high cholesterol being a DQ, don't really see how it could be, but you should get some medical standards from the department if they will give them to you. Maybe they just want you to get it checked for your own personal safety. Catch it and treat it early sort of thing. By the way, how the hell do they know about your cholesterol?

As for your other question, Many people have failed poly's and gone on to LE careers.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my cholesterol was high when I took my physical. I just came off of active duty, and had a full screening right before I got out, so this was all news to me. How many 27 year olds have high Cholesterol?! LOL

As for the Poly, thanks for the reassurance. As I said, I have nothing to hide/lie about. but after hearing so many stories of people failing, it makes me think I'm gonna fail, gets me nervous, etc. Hopefully I pass first time through.

Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

In 2002 I also applied for the OC Sheriff and I also was singled out for high cholesterol at 200. The only thing I had to do is see a department doctor, he looked at the paper work and signed off on it after only 5 minutes. He really didn't seem to concerned.

Concerning the Poly, I didn't have to take the poly graph for the OCSD. It was used as an option if they felt it necessary. The upsetting thing about spending a year going through the process and not getting in was I passed everything and was waiting for my academy date and I recieved a letter saying that they were unable to hire me because they didn't have the money. Can anybody say California budget fiasco. Okay, soap box time is over. I will be attending the June Las Vegas Academy thou. One thing I have learned is, if your honest with everything stick to your guns. They'll try to trip you up sometimes. That how they'll get the truth out of you.

Comment

I think 200 is borderline high, 250 is the start of medication or exercise/weight loss. The "great" thing about cholesterol is you can be a bean pole and have it, it's all genetic. If you can stay off Lipitor
          Last edited by Creed; 05-07-2005, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroRookie
            In 2002 I also applied for the OC Sheriff and I also was singled out for high cholesterol at 200. The only thing I had to do is see a department doctor, he looked at the paper work and signed off on it after only 5 minutes. He really didn't seem to concerned.

Concerning the Poly, I didn't have to take the poly graph for the OCSD. It was used as an option if they felt it necessary. The upsetting thing about spending a year going through the process and not getting in was I passed everything and was waiting for my academy date and I recieved a letter saying that they were unable to hire me because they didn't have the money. Can anybody say California budget fiasco. Okay, soap box time is over. I will be attending the June Las Vegas Academy thou. One thing I have learned is, if your honest with everything stick to your guns. They'll try to trip you up sometimes. That how they'll get the truth out of you.
            Good news! So I only need to see a doc and he can sign me off? Great news. I also have a friend who passed everything and found out later he wasn't selected. About how long do you think it will take for me to get word?

Comment

Usually a couple weeks is the standard time to receive notification.

Comment

You could have "high" cholesterol for different reasons. For awhile I was only specific medicine that I had to get my cholesterol checked every month. Now when you're doing cholesterol testing you're supposed to fast at least 12hours beforehand. If you eat close to that 12hr. range your cholesterol could be high. There were months when my cholesterol was 123-127 (average) and a few months where it was 200-207 (high). Now I'm a 23yr. old female, can you imagine how that made me feel? haha...

Moral of the story, I bet you're fine and you just ate too close to the test! Good luck with everything...Poly's are a pain, I have one at the end of the month
                "The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."
                - Ronald Reagan

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."
                - Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11162 users online. 401 members and 10761 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X