Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve Coast Guard Investigator

Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Coast Guard Reserve Direct Petty Officer investigator program, or know anything about it? An experienced police officer can join the reserves, go to a shortened 2 week basic training, and be a reserve investigator. It seems like a decent deal, with good experience & training & a little extra money. I'm looking into it, but I don't want to talk with a recruiter and deal with the "sales pitch" just yet. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

http://www.gocoastguard.com/Rates/IVrate.htm
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

There are only 12 slots currently occupied in the United States and they do not seem to be going anywhere. Good luck getting a slot when one comes open.

Comment

Why don't you see what the Navy can offer you along those lines. MAA is the navy rating for police officer. Take a former sailor with you and the BS will be taken out of the recruiters sails.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

A recruiter told me there are 5 positions open in the Seattle area alone.

Comment

Sit and talk

I would recommend that you go ahead and talk with CG recruiter. Just don't agree to anything until you have talked to another Coastie. District offices will always have several intel types (CGI) around but they may not have a good handle on life in the field. Talk to a fellow reservist. Call the training center in Yorktown, VA. You should find someone there who will give you straight answers if not during work, after hours, or they can put you in touch with someone. They have expanded a lot of billet locations since coming under DHS. If they want you bad enough, they can guarentee rating and usually 2-3 billet locations based on the service need.

The CG is small and up to recently terribly underfunded, but this has always made them tight group. They throw a lot at you right from the start, so it is unlikely that you will be lost in the crowd as you are with other services. The downside is for some ratings, billets are limited so advancement may be slow. That's is something you will have to look into also.

Regards

Raykenn

Comment

I called in regards to the same thing. The one thing that you need to have is three years of law enforcement experience. If you don't have that, they won't even talk to you. I was in the Coast Guard for 4 years, just got out in August 04, did three years as a Boarding Officer, led quite a few boarding teams and did so great things. With that experience they would only waive a year on the LE experience. I have been an officer for almost a year now and will call after one more. Good Luck. Like mentioned before, try to contact the school in yorktown va. Let me know how things turn out.

Comment

I know this is kind of old, but instead of starting a new thread.

I saw that the requirements are that an agent needs to attend the "Reserve Direct Officer Program". Are the investigators Coast Guard officers?

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Pig View Post
                I know this is kind of old, but instead of starting a new thread.

I saw that the requirements are that an agent needs to attend the "Reserve Direct Officer Program". Are the investigators Coast Guard officers?
                Hello,

Its actually the Reserve Direct Petty Officer Program. With a couple of specific exceptions, there are no officers in CGIS. You come into the program as a E-4 to E-6 depending on qualifications. On the reserve side there are only four or five warrant officer billets in the program so the vast majority of the reserve agents stay enlisted. There are approximately 200-250 reserve agents throughout the country, all in some form of law enforcement positions in their civilian jobs. This number is expected to increase over the next several years but the exact numbers are still unknown.

A recruiter will not be your best source of information about the reserve investigator programs. The best thing is to call the closest field office and speak with the ASAC there to see if they have an open reserve billets and to learn more about the program.

Comment

Originally posted by mister6f View Post
                  Hello,

Its actually the Reserve Direct Petty Officer Program. With a couple of specific exceptions, there are no officers in CGIS. You come into the program as a E-4 to E-6 depending on qualifications. On the reserve side there are only four or five warrant officer billets in the program so the vast majority of the reserve agents stay enlisted. There are approximately 200-250 reserve agents throughout the country, all in some form of law enforcement positions in their civilian jobs. This number is expected to increase over the next several years but the exact numbers are still unknown.

A recruiter will not be your best source of information about the reserve investigator programs. The best thing is to call the closest field office and speak with the ASAC there to see if they have an open reserve billets and to learn more about the program.
                  a family member of mine is a rac for cgis and he told me that they are actually going to reduce the number of reserve investigators in the future and bring on more active duty agents; however, i dont know if he specifically meant that for only the 7th district.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                    I looked into the opportunity of becoming a CGIS reserve Agent a few years back. Its a very hard position to get. I was told that many local Police Officers, some at the Detective level, apply and are turned down. They want substantial investigative experience, especially if you were not in the Coast Guard at a prior date.

There is no harm in trying, but be aware that they will try to get you into a Port Security Unit (PSU) if you have prior LE experience. You will be brought in at a E-4 level and set to a 2 week school.
                    Just note that if you're part of a PSU you can expect to get deployed overseas. If that doesn't bother you, it seems like a decent deal.

Comment

Has anyone talked to a recruiter in 2008 instead of 2005 that can provide more information?

I too am interested and will be looking up our local recruiter here in the next few weeks

Comment

How would I go about finding the contact information for the CGIS office most near to me?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Talk to a recruiter to get the number. But they will not help get your information to CGIS. In order to get anywhere you have to talk to them directly like ROSchwoe did. The recruiters will be able to tell you if there are any open billets in your surrounding district. But they're not the avenue to take to get on with them.

Comment

I would actually advise against dealing with a recruiter in regard to CGIS. Most recruiters have a very limited understanding of CGIS and are known to give the wrong information, especially about open billets in the region (speaking from personal experience). The best option would be to look on the CG website (www.uscg.mil), look under the Units tab and select the region your state is in. Look for a Sector or ISC contact number and ask them for the CGIS contact number then call and speak to the ASAC. Some regions have reserve agents that are sort of tasked with being an informal recruiting contact.

Comment

Originally posted by mister6f View Post
                              I would actually advise against dealing with a recruiter in regard to CGIS. Most recruiters have a very limited understanding of CGIS and are known to give the wrong information, especially about open billets in the region (speaking from personal experience). The best option would be to look on the CG website (www.uscg.mil), look under the Units tab and select the region your state is in. Look for a Sector or ISC contact number and ask them for the CGIS contact number then call and speak to the ASAC. Some regions have reserve agents that are sort of tasked with being an informal recruiting contact.
                              I will agree that they know very little when it comes to the information about CGIS. But I'm speaking from experience also when I say that they will know about open billets. Both times I went to them to check for any open billets in my region, they handed me a printout of the billets open CG wide. They also gave me POC's to call and talk to people in the region.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6034 users online. 240 members and 5794 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X