300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which LE Career?

Hello All. Before I begin applying for whatever area of LE that I wish to be in.....I reckon first I need to get a good idea of just WHAT is right for me. I'm a sophomore in college right now, with a minor in CJ.

I'm very interested in HRT type organizations, but understand that you must start SOMEWHERE and become profficient before you can shift positions. I'm 5 "9, 150lbs, and run my butt off.

The problem I'm having is that I'm just not QUITE sure where I want to start out at. Once this is figured out, I reckon the rest will begin to fall into line.

Regards,

Jake
    Last edited by Tarleton07; 04-13-2005, 05:11 PM.

Well if you're a soph in a 4 year college, you have some time to decide. With a four year degree you have a decent chance at getting on with a federal agency such as the FBI then transfering to thier HRT. Also you can always go on with a local/county/state dept and get onto their specialized teams. Really, its a matter of what you want to do. With a degree, the opp's are abound if your motivated push open a door that is cracked a bit. PM me if you wanna bounce ideas off the wall.
    Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

Howdy sir. First, I appreciate the response to my post as I'm sure that you guys get a lot of questions from guys like me, who really don't have a clue.

I'm here in Stephenville, TX at Tarleton State University (4 year College). I know I'm thinkin way ahead at the moment, but since I finally know the general direction I want to go I'd like to get as much worked out before hand as is possible.

I joined ROTC my freshman year, thinking that I wanted to take on a career in the military. After taking part in Ranger Challenge at Camp Bullis, and seeing what the daily lives of officers involve when not deployed, I changed my mind.

I'm a History major, so I guess if I ever need it, I can always find a teaching job. What I'm looking for however is something that is different from other day to day jobs. Something that will occasionally get my heart pumping.

Like I said before though, I'm pretty lost about what's out there. I'm just now getting started on my Foreign Language....Spanish. I'll be getting in two full years of that before I graduate so hopefully that, combined with the 4 year degree will help to crack open some of those doors you spoke of.

Any opinions you have on the subject would be greatly appreciated by me. Today I setup a meeting with the Head of our CJ department here at the University, so maybe that will help as well.

Sorry for the long windedness of it all.

Jake

Comment

Your choices are wide open my man. I would suggest getting as proficient as possible in Spanish, you'd be surprised how fast that will move you to the top of the list in most Law Enforcement applications. As far as HRT goes, I'm guessing that you mean any type of specialized tactical unit (SWAT, SOT, HRT, SERT, and the thousand other names they go by). If you want to go Federal, finish your education, learn the spanish, and start applying. I would suggest you look into internships in your Junior or Senior year, they help get a foot in the door and the feds have plenty of them out there. You hit the nail on the head when you said you guessed you had to spend some time at the department before you can move into HRT. Most agencies I know require at least 2-3 years at the department before you can apply for the specialized teams. Get on with a department that you are interested in that has an HRT type team, spend a few years learning how to be a cop and having fun, then apply for the team. Some departments have much tougher requirements to get onto the teams, depending on the popularity of the team and the size of the department. Some places might only have 15 SWAT members for a 150-250 man department. In other words, the competition is tough.

I would suggest you search the forums here, check your local library, and talk to the CJ folks at your school. You might want to check around your local departments and see if you can do ride alongs. You might get lucky enough to arrange to ride with a HRT member (most departments have part-time HRT, the rest of the time they are regular street cops) and pick his or her brain about the team.

Good luck to you.

Gibbmusic
        Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Thanks for the advice Gibb. Wherever I go, be it Federal or State, I'm finishing out my Bachelor's degree here at Tarleton State. As soon as I get that piece of paper, I'm home free. I wasn't exactly thrilled about having to take spanish, as it's required for my history major, but if it will really help that much with a CJ career then I'll knock it out.

When I said HRT, yes I did mean anyone of those tactical units, and 2-3 years before being able to shift positions is about what I'd heard.

Thanks for the advice guys. If ya'll have anything else at all to toss out there, I'm all ears.

Jake

Comment

Dont get too stressed out if you're not exactly sure what you want to do. Right now your going in the right direction for a future officer. You'll have a four year degree with a CJ minor giving you some good theory to apply out in the field, and you have a good major to fall back on if you decide that its not for your. Additionally, get good at that spanish, as it can save your ***, especially out in Texas. If I were you, I'd go ahead and possiably get into an internship and then you can test the water. Even though right now, you have your heart set on doing a SWAT/ESU thing, you may realize that you have a talent for investiagation, or enjoy agressive street patrols. Who knows. Thats one thing about LE, is that there are so many avenues to walk down, that you can take a new road to work every day.
            Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I'd never before thought of doing an internship, as I've never heard of them being offered. That would deffinately be beneficial. What types of internships are out there, if you don't mind? If I could, I'd probably want to do one the summer after my Junior year...as in summer after this one.

Sorry to keep pickin ya'lls brains like this, but ya'll are deffinately helpin out!

Jake

Comment

As far as internships go, your CJ department can probably help you more than most of us. Also, check the websites of the agency you'd like to intern with, a lot of times they post internships as job openings. Most internships tend to be pretty boring; filing paperwork, computer data entry, desk type work. But you usually get chances to observe some field work and you get to see the less exciting side of police work. The best thing about an internship is that when you fill out an application with that agency later, you usually get more consideration if you were a successful and productive intern.

Good luck,
                Gibbmusic

Comment

I get what your sayin Gibbs. I live down near Houston howver, and REALLY don't want to live in the area after I get out of college. If I do an intern in my county, (Harris County), would other departments elsewhere see that I had put forth an early effort, and take that into consideration? Or does it only hold credibility with that single agency?

Your right about my CJ department helping out with the internships, I just checked out our school internet and found a thing on getting help with finding one. Deffinately something to checkout as I reckon it sure can't hurt.

Jake

Comment

Well if you looking to move elsewhere, I'd suggest you do an internship with the Feds. I know Houston has several field offices for various Federal agencies, so you should be able to pull it off. While the internship definately holds the most weight with the agency you do it with, it never hurts. If you go in there and make a good impression, you'll be rewarded when the agency you decide to work for in the future begins their background investigation. They will definately call your supervisor where you did the internship and ask how you performed, etc. You get a good word from another LE agency, it's very valuable in the hiring process. When it comes down to you and another guy at the top of the list, and he doesn't have another agency vouching for him, then you are good to go.

One tip though, if you plan on interning next year, go ahead and get it all figured out ASAP. Federal internships fill up quickly and you'd do yourself a big favor to get the application turned in on the first day you are allowed to.

Good luck,
                    Gibbmusic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3295 users online. 201 members and 3094 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X