300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some quick questions.... thanks...

Alright... i'm looking to maybe get into law enforcement but... there are a few things in my past that may not allow it.

I've been commited twice, but... you see... it wasn't really my fault. My mom is, for all intensive purposes, crazy. I had a very rough time growing up (i'm currently seventeen, almost eighteen). I have attempted suicide around three seperate times... Mostly it was me attempting to get out of life, I had to get away from my mother some how. She had the worst possible childhood, and it still affects her now-in-days. She has been diagnosed with post-termatic-stress-syndrome, bi-polar, some phobias, and also OCD (cleaning, collects dogs, etc...). I now live with my father, who is very stable. My problems don't seem to be affecting me now, haven't in the last two or so years (since I left my mothers). I'm a totally different person (stable, I now love life, etc...). I don't take meds, as my doc's don't think I need them now. Because of my history, I am unable to complete high-school, but will be obtaining my G.E.D. in the next week. I have no academic problems per se, as I am gifted in most every subject. Basically, rough childhood, now i'm fine.

Oh... and I was on probation for six months for possesion of "weed"... Long time ago.

My problems were a product of the enviroment I was in, not "genetic". I can handle pressure and what not. I also weight lift.

So, do I have a chance?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sid_Solo; 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM.

Originally posted by Sid_Solo
    Alright... i'm looking to maybe get into law enforcement but... there are a few things in my past that may not allow it.

I've been commited twice, but... you see... it wasn't really my fault. My mom is, for all intensive purposes, crazy. I had a very rough time growing up (i'm currently seventeen, almost eighteen). I have attempted suicide around three seperate times... Mostly it was me attempting to get out of life, I had to get away from my mother some how. She had the worst possible childhood, and it still affects her now-in-days. She has been diagnosed with post-termatic-stress-syndrome, bi-polar, some phobias, and also OCD (cleaning, collects dogs, etc...). I now live with my father, who is very stable. My problems don't seem to be affecting me now, haven't in the last two or so years (since I left my mothers). I'm a totally different person (stable, I now love life, etc...). I don't take meds, as my doc's don't think I need them now. Because of my history, I am unable to complete high-school, but will be obtaining my G.E.D. in the next week. I have no academic problems per se, as I am gifted in most every subject. Basically, rough childhood, now i'm fine.

Oh... and I was on probation for six months for possesion of "weed"... Long time ago.

My problems were a product of the enviroment I was in, not "genetic". I can handle pressure and what not. I also weight lift.

So, do I have a chance?

Thanks.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....NO!
    Terrorist: "You're a policeman, even policeman have rules". John Mclane: "Yeah, that's what my captain keeps telling me!"

Comment

So... there is no chance of me ever becoming a cop? I mean, the doc's that i've talked to even say that the past problems were not really my fault...

Comment

Well:

Personally I wouldn't say never but then again I am not a law enforcement officer and each agency handles hiring and requirements their own way. It's unlikely that you will get hired on as a police officer but I wouldn't personally say impossible. But during an background investigation and things like that those things are going to show up and that strikes people odd and probably poses a liability for them if they were to hire you anyway. Law enforcement is stressful as it is and for someone with bi-polar which is exteme high's and low's that could be a deadly combination. As far as the GED goes that isn't an issue, having a diploma or a GED to most agencies that I have got information from is about the same. Its all about getting certified and then having experience or college degree's under your belt. The suicide attempts would probably not let you pass as well. Some people just aren't cut out for some jobs in their life. I didn't want to reply with the mocking and rude ways a couple of the above people posted because there's no need to be an *** to a question. I know how a rough upbringing goes I can completely relate to that so I know what you went through.
        Last edited by Jabrim; 04-12-2005, 01:08 PM. Reason: Typing errors:
        - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

I would like to clarify.... from what I understand my problems (bi-polar) were not because of me, but because of my enviroment. In other words, I, as a person, have no real mental illness. It was caused by my enviroment, the constant stress of having a insane mother. I wasn't allowed to do things other kids were, like riding bikes... going out with friends. My mother was over protective to the extreme. And, on top of it all, i've seen my mother attempt suicide and stuff. So, it was close to a Hell hole, I mean... I had a ****ty childhood.

I understand those things she did are not right/normal. I personally lead a normal life now. I exercise, go out with friends, etc...

Comment

I commend you on getting through a difficult time but unfortunately you will not be seriuosly considered, if at all for most Departments.

Typically there may be dozens, hundreds or even thousands of applicants competeing for an appointment. Just from a liability standpoint no agency would want to take a chance on someone with multiple past suicide attempts and related mental health issues.

That being said I am sure there are other careers out there that will be personally fulfilling if you are willing to look and work hard enough.

Good luck.
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_Solo
              I would like to clarify.... from what I understand my problems (bi-polar) were not because of me, but because of my enviroment. In other words, I, as a person, have no real mental illness. It was caused by my enviroment, the constant stress of having a insane mother.
              A Dr diagnosed you with Bi-polar disorder and said it was caused by your environment?

I guess I've always been wrong about bi-polar disorder and have always been misinformed by medical people and those people (seemingly everyone I come in contact with lately) who have it because they all say it's a chemical imbalance in the brain.

You'll never know if you don't apply, you might find an agency that will take you. But, as BRICKCOP and others have said, I highly doubt it. If for no other reason the liability.

Comment

Being that you are still young I would say if this is what you really want to do you need to start doing things now for a few years to show that you are stable. A good idea would be going into the military for a few years and having a good record. If you have no other problems by the time you are 25-26 and have an exemplary employment/military record you will have better chance.

Comment

Um... I could still get into the millitary with my "past history"?

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534
                    Being that you are still young I would say if this is what you really want to do you need to start doing things now for a few years to show that you are stable. A good idea would be going into the military for a few years and having a good record. If you have no other problems by the time you are 25-26 and have an exemplary employment/military record you will have better chance.

Well said WTPD, what you went through was rough, but be happy that it is in the past. Concentrate on the future, don't plan on law enforcement as your sole career choice, and I would say that regardless of your past, its important to always keep you options open. Find a good mentor, leader, go to college and/or military, stay out of trouble and serve your community. When you graduate college, you can reevaluate your career options then. As for now...take some more time to recover from the past, and establish yourself as a good citizen, get an education and life will work for you.

Comment

I was told to never give up on anything. People will say and think what they want, but you make the choice in the end. All you can do is give 100%. Work hard, keep your record clean, and show everyone how bad you want to be an officer. You have time. Just keep focused and stay on track. Good luck!

Comment

move to northeast PA ....lmao you will get a job no problem..... i'm serious

Comment

why north east PA i live in south east PA and am looking for a job.

Comment

Some people here are a little bit harsh about it, but realistically, your chances of getting on with 99% of police or sheriff departments is slim. There are some departments out there with very low hiring standards, specially sheriff's departments in some parts of the country. You're best bet of getting into law enforcement right away is to shop around, contact departments all over the country, specially ones that are advertising hard for applicants. If that doesn't work, find the most po-dump departments you can think of and contact them. You can hang up getting a job at most any city with a population above 25,000. You might want to also contact some Special or Private police companies or even armed security positions. Put in some years there and try to move up.

I agree with the above post about the military. You might not be able to get on with any branch of the service, and your choices of speciality will be very limited (read: infantry), but you have a much better shot of making it into the military than you do police work right now. Do your best in the military, put your time in without any black marks, and you'll have a much better shot at wearing a gun belt when you get out.

The bottom line is, if you feel you can handle the job without mental issues, work hard and it'll come to you eventually. Don't take rejection personally, a lot of good cops got rejected, many times more than once or twice. You have to understand that the agencies are looking at the bottom line, if they hire you and your mental issues come back up, they could be looking at some serious financial issues.

Hope this helps,
                            Gibbmusic
                            Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Originally posted by tobyt
                              Can You Say Security Guard (maybe)
                              I'm not even sure my past company would hire him. Try for IPC, Intl. (Simon Malls) or ERMC (can't remember the management of the malls). They both have huge room for advancement and Directors make GOOD money. Better than most cops in the same cities. Valor Security Servecies is alright, room for advancement, but don't expect to make Director.

Also, if you don't mind relocating, check out Ouachita Co. Sheriff's Dept. in Arkansas. Work at the jail for a couple of years then become patrol.
                              It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3485 users online. 223 members and 3262 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X