X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petergriffin
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2005

Drug/alcohol use in college.... and jobs

Dear all, my name is John and I am new to this forum. I am a freshman in college and am minoring in criminal justice and majoring in something else. As I have researched more about the proffesions available in law enforcment and done numerous ride-alongs, and am pretty sure thats what I would like to go in to as a job. The issue that I have is that, although I have stopped, I have in the past tried drugs. Now I was by no means "druggie" but there was a period between my senior year in highschool and freshman year in college in which I tried pot 5 times, and vicaden (prescription pain killer) 8 times. I only actually got high once, and I never took much vicaden. I realize that this probably sounds bad, but It was only during this period that I have ever tried anything like this. I no longer touch anything besides alcohol (although I am still underage). I have a clean record and do not ever plan on taking drugs again. My question, as many others have, is do you think this will DQ me or hurt me a lot? I feel pretty crappy about the fact that I might have already be screwed for job apps, but I wasn't sure how serious this would be. Of course I plan on being totally honest... I just dont know how the depts I apply to will take it . Also, take into account that I will not be applying for atleast another three years, so I will have about 4 years of no drug use when I apply. Thanks for any input/predictions.

Best- John
  • Joebob
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2004

Finish college, grow up, keep your nose clean, stay away from the drugs, be mature about the alcohol, and calm down. You'll be fine.

Comment

• Petergriffin
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2005

Will do, thanks.

Comment

• JohnnyV
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2004

Listen to Joebob and stay away from drugs and make sure you don't drink and drive because that will kill your chances in LE and many other professions.

Comment

• off_kimball
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2005

advice

The advice you have received on here is right on. People experiment, depts expect that. Make sure that you don't do anything else. Now that you have started college you'll have alot more opportunity do other stuff. Just stay clear of everything illegal. You'll graduate with a BS degree, no illegal drugs in the last 4 yrs. and have a clean background. That'll look really good. Good Luck

Comment

• setexas
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2005

You will do fine. My opinion...some pot in the first year of college is no big deal. I went ape**** when I left home and went to school.

Drugs are bad mmmmkay...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21166 users online. 63 members and 21103 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...