300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPDC Academy

I recently was offered a position with MPDC but had to turn it down due to the very short notice I was given. I explained this to MPDC along with my desire to be considered for upcoming academies. Has anyone had a situation like this and then been contacted for a future academy?

I just started the academy at MPD...

I had to miss my original date (Feb 22) due to a family emergency...I had to write a letter to the Capt of Recruiting stating why I missed the date and that I am still interested in attending the next class....

However, MPD gives VERY short notice to arrive all the time...often 3-4 days before the academy starts...So you may only get a call this time giving a few days notice just like last time...

If I were you I'd call my BI and ask what steps you should take to get into the next class...

Comment

Mjcek:

Since your in the academy now, is there any talk about when the next class will start? Also, I am interested to know how your experience has been so far. You can PM me if you don't mind.

Comment

recognized academy?

I am looking at applying with MPD right now, but I just heard from a friend that the MPD academy is not nationally accredited or recognized, meaning that you can't transfer laterally out of MPD to another department.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Comment

I'm coming up on 6 years with MPD. If you get this job it will be on short notice. I got called on Thur. for Mon. That's just how it is.

I recently got FLA certified on my own. I also got an advisory letter that I could be Mass. certified. I have seen people leave for VA, MD, IL, CT, FL, and PA. All were laterals. MPD academy will transfer over most places. MPD is a good start just be gone by 3-4 years.

Comment

dcpolice

Any news on when the next Academy class is goinig to start?

Comment

Originally posted by GWUgrad
              I am looking at applying with MPD right now, but I just heard from a friend that the MPD academy is not nationally accredited or recognized, meaning that you can't transfer laterally out of MPD to another department.

Most, if not all, departments that hire laterals couldn't care less whether or not the dept. you came from is accredited. As long as you're a certified officer.
              Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Washingtonian is right, nobody cares about accredidation. It is a a bragging point for chiefs/politicians. It is meaningless for officers.

No idea when the next academy starts. Once you are out of academy on MPD you dont hear anything. We hire constantly, so it couldn't be too long.

Comment

Next class starts around June 2nd or 3rd... That's what I was hearing the other day at the academy...

Comment

Accred. doesn't mean that much to many departments out there. Mostly all departments that I've heard of in the area and out of the area accept MPD as lateral transfers. MPD is a good structured department, and they can honestly be compared to NYPD and LAPD.....which in turn means that you should have no problem getting hired elsewhere!
                    Last edited by mdcop4life; 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM.

Comment

When I went through the academy in Maryland, it was a guy in my session who had thirteen years on in DC and they made him go through the entire academy. I guess it depends on the agency.
                      Day after day train your heart out, refining your technique: Use the One to strike the Many! That is the discipline of the Warrior.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      Proverbs 26:3
                      Stay Safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11103 users online. 404 members and 10699 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X