300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any former military?

Just checking to see if anyone was prior military before they became involved in civilian law enforcement. Did the department consider that military service gives you an edge in hiring over someone who just finished college? Anyone have any tips that could help in getting hired? Appreciate any help that anyone has.

Originally posted by allstar_00
    Just checking to see if anyone was prior military before they became involved in civilian law enforcement. Did the department consider that military service gives you an edge in hiring over someone who just finished college? Anyone have any tips that could help in getting hired? Appreciate any help that anyone has.
    Each department is different. Some value military over college, some could care less as to wether or not you are a veteran. The good news is that most tend to give good credit for having either one. When you consider all the veterans out there and all the college grads out there who are competing for these jobs, you still have to be prepared for stiff competition. Even if you had both a degree and an honorable discharge.

Regardless, you must do your homework on each department you want to apply for. The internet is an excellent way to start. Check out the job openings on this site. Two other great sites to look at are 911hotjobs.com, and lawenforcementjob.com You can also get on the phone and start making some calls. Ask about veteran's prefrence during the process. Also, I often tell people to be flexible and willing to relocate outside your hometown or county to get a LEO job. You may even want to consider moving out of state totally, if you want it badly enough. Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

YES. I was in the Navy first and then MP in the Army.

Comment

Agencies love 2 things....college and military. Both is even better. They feel that coming out of the military you are disciplined, understand rank and are squared away. They love college because it means your intelligent, write well and know how to think.

Having nither of the two is probably gonna be real tough to get a job as a cop these days.

Ive seen how they score oral boards. You get points for specific things. College will get you so many as well as military so its definitly a plus.

good luck

Comment

Military + College = Best Arsenal

I deeply agree with everyone here.

Depending on the Department, some prefer military over college and others vice versa, however, having both college and military accomplishments under your belt, gives you a better standing above others. It shows them that you have not just the discipline and experience, but also the initiative to take the step to better yourself Academically. And that means, they don't have to worry about you killing yourself taking college courses while off-duty, that might affect your LE duties, instead you can take additional LE training and education instead, that will make you a better LE officer and an excellent candidate for future promotion.

Remember, it's not like 20 or 30 years ago, when you can get out of the military and get hired as an Officer right out of the bat. It's more competitive now, in both Local and Federal agencies, so you got to be ready for anything. And to echo what Blackand Gold had just said, research and network with other police officers, just like my older Brother did he started calling different agencies and departments to get a better info on what they are looking for.

Like myself, I'm a 12-year Marine Vet, honorably discharged and immediately attended college (gotta use that GI Bill - use it or lose it, right?), and armed along with my military experience - I able to give myself a wider option and weapon to sell myself.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your adventure!
          "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

I applied for the KCPD whan I was on active duty in the Air Force. I seperated just for the job. KCPD likes to hire from the military and does an out of state process that takes about 6 months to get hired. But since your in Korea, you'll probably need to wait until your short tour is over. You have to travel here a couple of times during the process. My department like to see someone with both. You have to have a degree to get promoted, but they hire a lot of military because of the discipline and dedication you get. KCPD pays 75% of your college. When you go throught the academy you actually get 32 credit hours and the GI Bill will pay you to go through the academy, plus the depatment pays you while you go through. It's a win win situtaion. The GI Bill pays you to go, the PD pays you to go and you get 32 credit hours. Plus, they like the fact that your background check is easier to do since the military pretty much has already dont it for them.

Comment

Re

I'm former USMC. I would say prior military experience gives one an edge, since police agencies are paramilitary orginizations, and most, if not all academies are very strict and regimented. However, that doesn't mean someone who never served wouldn't do well either. I have friends in LE who never spent a day in the service, but are outstanding police officers. I just think in the long run, it depends on the individual and how bad they want to succeed.

Also, IMO, someone who never joined the military, but did exceptionally well in college may get hired over someone who was in the service. It all depends on the agency.
              "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

Yes, yes, yes
                Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                between you
                and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Army MP, along with a College Degree....although I learned more after a year of being a civilan cop, than both of those combined....

Comment

Yes ano no. Because a lot of times you can get someone who went into the Military right out of high school or did not..GED, 17 or 18 and still has that immature mind frame and starts to get into trouble still in the military. Well...now compared to a kid with no military and n ever been in trouble with the law and has a clean employment record...well take the person with the clean record. Since in the military an article 15 for anything can count against you as a bad infraction on your job you have or you got the Article 15 for getting a DUI, etc...

However, there are some out there that do have a good record when they get out and some depts do look at that, but all they do is look. Most I see and know first habd take college over military. I had both so I really cant say what the deciding factor was.
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was an Army infantryman and got my degree and I feel that has given me an edge over applicants in the past.

Comment

Why because you have skills to kill? I mean come on, there are so many jobs in the military that can prepare you and or assist you when applying into Law Enforcement. No job from the military should get you hired over one applicant then the other...u are a soldier and trained to be a soldier...No one person should be declined to another if they were enlisted or Commissioned...just my .02...
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

thanks

Thanks for everyones advice. It gives me something to go on. I probably should of clarified earlier that I am currently an MP, and have taken classes at the local police academy while I am still in the army. Just wondering if these classes will give me an edge on the other competition. If I am allready certified in the state on radar, and equipment like that, just wondering if they take that into effect when hiring. Thanks everyone for all the posts.

Comment

Re

Sure thing, Allstar..Anytime. Good luck to you in both your current and future goals.

Gil
                            "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4215 users online. 309 members and 3906 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X