300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine looking for good advice

I am in the Marines and getting out in about a year. I am moving home to Tampa FL and want to pursue a carrer as a police officer there. I am pretty new to this and was looking for some advice on getting an application started and how I can prepare myself as much as possible before I get out.

Well to start the process in Florida, most agencies require you to already be Florida Law Enfct Certified. Im not an officer in Florida, but im looking into going there myself, so ive been researching as much as possible. If you have another year in the corp, i would try and get some college under my belt, maybe in criminal justice. Get the training while you can still get it free. Then as you get closer to your discharge date start calling recruiters and asking questions. Your going to need to be certified first, so after getting some insight on agencies, start looking at the academies in the area (i think there all handled by community colleges in Florida), in my academy (las vegas,nv) one of our officers used his GI bill to pick up the cost so you wont have to worry to much about the dime. After passing the state exam, start putting out your aps. Ya never know, maybe you'll get lucky and agency will sponsor you, but i heard its rare in Florida.....hope this helps

Comment

You could also check out their web site and see what is required.

If your at Cherry point or camp LeJuene, you might want to check out the Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) up there. Fins a sponsor agency and then become a reserve until your EAS.

Your GI Bill shoul help you alot.
      Remember, it is the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the Soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Author unknown

Comment

a lotta agencies in central fla require you to be certified before they hire you, or you fill out the paperwork as would a normal employee and they will do a background check and sign off and sponsor you and you will foot the bill,
        being a larger agency they may have slots in their budgets to send un-certified thru the academy. check with the agency yr interested in 1st, it's a phone call away or call their community college.
        in south fla, the same routine but they will hire you and pay you as a cadet
        thru the academy, if yr not obligated to the tampa area, comeon down to
        south fla and get yr rookie year over with and make a decision to relocate.
        I left " one-horse-county" in 1986 and never looked back, time flys when yr having fun, and 2008 i can say good bye with a great 75 % retirement....
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Do you want to work specifically in Tampa? I happen to know the hiring officer for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, and he LOVES Marines. If you're considering them, let me know and I'll get his number to you.
          If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Semper Fi Brother and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
              Do you want to work specifically in Tampa? I happen to know the hiring officer for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, and he LOVES Marines. If you're considering them, let me know and I'll get his number to you.

SWATcop,
              Yeah I would like to work specifically in Tampa. However, being in the military Im used to not getting exactly what I want. Pinellas County is close enough, Ill just have to look into what kind of benefits they offer. Im sure its not too much different that the other depatments in the area. Ill consider working for anyone who will consider hiring me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10032 users online. 365 members and 9667 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X