300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into LE

I'm kicking around the idea of going back into LE, but I'm concerned I might run into problems getting back in. I'm hoping those of you who are involved in the hiring process might be able to weigh in on my situation.

A little background is required. I was a LEO down south for about 4 years. While working in LE, I worked for 3 different departments. Yes, that is 3 departments in 4 years. Each time I moved, it was for significantly more pay. Ultimately, I left LE to attend law school and I've been working as an attorney since graduation (only 6 months). Total, I've been out of LE for 3.5 years. I got out for a couple of reasons (1) I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to support my family, and (2) I had recently been involved in a deadly force situation that made me question whether I wanted accept the responsibility of making a split second decision that could result in someones death (by the way, it was investigated and I was found to have acted within policy, etc.).

However, since having some time to decompress and reflect, I really miss LE and am thinking of returning to make it a career. I'm not sure I would be able to, however. I'm concerned that departments will be concerned that I won't stay because I can make more money practicing law or because my background doesn't exactly show the greatest commitment to LE. I'm also concerned that I might suffer from some "reverse snobbery," since most police officers aren't exactly in love with attorneys.

Before anyone says I'm just paranoid, I have already been turned down by one agency. I applied to a department in my area that I was really interested in working for and staying at before graduating from law school but wasn't even contacted for an interview. It is well known that you generally have to be recommended by someone in the department to get hired there, so it may be that I just didn't have the right connections. However, I thought that my resume might have been strong enought to at least warrant some interest. I'm concerned there may be other factors at play.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I say go for it!!! Just keep applying. You might be considered overqualified, and a small local agency may be afraid you'll jump ship to the feds.

I'm in the same boat. 3 years as a part-time officer while in college, then I went to law school. I've been practicing for about 1.5 years. I regret every minute of it!!!! Law practice is the most boring job imagineable. I would rather be walking a foot post in 0 degree weather than doing this.

I recently started getting the ball rolling to get a full-time job in local or state police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8650 users online. 348 members and 8302 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X