300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my psych experiance

I just finished my psych test and it went pretty well. Although I was concerned when he accused me of lying on the MMPI. He showed me the chart and stated my chart indicated high levels of deception. I remained calm and cool as he persisted. I answered all the questions truthfully..I was wondering if anyone had experianced a psych who stated you failed or that there was cause for conern regarding your evaluation? Was this a tactic of his to see if I would show stress?

Boy, mine was a lot more laid-back than that. No accusations of lieing, that's for sure. In my case I sat in a comfortable chair, he sat on a couch and he asked me questions about my family, my upbringing, why I chose to get into LE, etc. Took about 35 minutes.

Even so, as I answered his questions I couldn't help but wonder how he was interpreting what I was saying. For example, he asked me how I was able to do as well as I did on the previous testing, as it was my first time through. I said I determined this was something I wanted so I took the necessary steps to help ensure I acquired it. I planned, researched and prepared for each step of the process. To me, that says I'm goal-oriented and dedicated to success. He might be thinking I'm ruthlessly devoted to getting my way. *shrug*
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

The trick to passing your psych evaluation...

Walk in and say, "Doc, the voices are telling me I should be nice to you if I want this job."

In reality, those doctors try and mess with you just to see if you are telling the truth. They'll try and get you to contradict yourself.
      Last edited by AtlCop; 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM.
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by MJP7083
        I just finished my psych test and it went pretty well. Although I was concerned when he accused me of lying on the MMPI. He showed me the chart and stated my chart indicated high levels of deception. I remained calm and cool as he persisted. I answered all the questions truthfully..I was wondering if anyone had experianced a psych who stated you failed or that there was cause for conern regarding your evaluation? Was this a tactic of his to see if I would show stress?
        MJ,

I have limited experience with the MMPI, as I have taken the test (and passed it) three times. It is my understanding, from one of my PHD type examiners, that the test has a certain "fudge factor" in the body of the questions.

What that means is red flags begin to raise if you consistantly respond to questions with answers such as "I NEVER get angery", "I ALWAYS am patient", "I NEVER raise my voice", "Everyone loves me All the time" etc. These responses begin to reflect either a "perfect" unrealistic human subject or someone who is attempting to anticpate the answers that the hiring agency would want to hear, thereby being some what deceptive.

Often times in these cases the subject is offered an opportunity to retest. My recommendation is to be painfully honest, during all phases of your hiring process, even if you think by doing so would reflect negatively on your application.

Best of luck, I hope this helps.
        Last edited by Puffy6460; 03-25-2005, 01:31 PM.

Comment

well said Puffy. I too, have to take this test... again.... in a few weeks. I talked to my sister who has a lot of experience grading these tests. She said there is no wrong personality and thats what they are trying to find out. Answer the first thing that comes to mind and that you feel strong about. think about how the questions apply to you right now... not 10 years ago and not what you would want them to be in the future. This test isn't made to tell if you are deceitful. But dishonest answers will show up as inconsistent answers on the test results and that

Comment

[QUOTE=gpinindy]well said Puffy. I too, have to take this test... again.... in a few weeks. I talked to my sister who has a lot of experience grading these tests. She said there is no wrong personality and thats what they are trying to find out. Answer the first thing that comes to mind and that you feel strong about. think about how the questions apply to you right now... not 10 years ago and not what you would want them to be in the future. This test isn't made to tell if you are deceitful. But dishonest answers will show up as inconsistent answers on the test results and that

Comment

my psych experience

Just failed my first for Santa Cruz County Sheriff. I can't figure out what the hell I did wrong. I passed everything including having just completed a successful background check. Does anybody have a handle on this test? I figure I'm going to have to go get psychological counseling to prove nothing is wrong. I'm PO'd as I feel nothing is wrong. How do I pass this thing?

Comment

Vic,

Agencies that I have worked for in the past had offered a "Second Opinion" or a review of the test results by an independent examiner as well as a retest. My wife went through similar troubles years ago, and even failed the retest. In her case, it was due to her problem solving/decision making abilities rather than "being crazy".

Best of luck.

Comment

my psych experience

Thanks Puffy! I'm exploring my recourse options and I will mention this possibility. How'd your wife find out about her issue with problem solving and decision making abilities? I thought all results on the psych were super secret! I would sure like to know my problem or issue!

Comment

MJP7083, funny you mention your psych experience. The same occurred to me. Unfortunately, I was subsequently DQ'ed. I was told the reason for my DQ will be given to me at my appeal, not before.

In my instance, I was accused of lying because I didn't mention something on the questionnaire given during the written pysch that I subsequently mentioned during the oral. Nonetheless, I was calm throughout and answered everything he tossed at me respectfully. I did get a strong judgmental vibe from the Psychologist as I answered some of his questions. Just note, I like to think I'm a person of strong and favorable character as I'm not a drinker, I don't get into fights, never hit my wife, I'm a great father and so on...So the DQ came as a total shock, totally deflating me at the same time. My background and medical had come back with positive results. All my investigator was waiting for was my psych results. Even after a month, it still stings a bit.

As I've heard over and over again, each LE agency maintain distinct psychological standards. I'm sure your results will return favorably.

Comment

Originally posted by NewYorker4Life
                      MJP7083, funny you mention your psych experience. The same occurred to me. Unfortunately, I was subsequently DQ'ed. I was told the reason for my DQ will be given to me at my appeal, not before.

In my instance, I was accused of lying because I didn't mention something on the questionnaire given during the written pysch that I subsequently mentioned during the oral. Nonetheless, I was calm throughout and answered everything he tossed at me respectfully. I did get a strong judgmental vibe from the Psychologist as I answered some of his questions. Just note, I like to think I'm a person of strong and favorable character as I'm not a drinker, I don't get into fights, never hit my wife, I'm a great father and so on...So the DQ came as a total shock, totally deflating me at the same time. My background and medical had come back with positive results. All my investigator was waiting for was my psych results. Even after a month, it still stings a bit.

As I've heard over and over again, each LE agency maintain distinct psychological standards. I'm sure your results will return favorably.
                      wow...
                      this has me worried quite a bit. im done with the background, just awaiting the results to move on to the final stage (psych exam, and physical).
                      i cant imagine them DQing and applicant for no reason at all, but in this case, it seems they did (though we dont know the exact specifics of your exam).
                      could you outline your appeal process later on?

Comment

I will most certainly post my appeal experience. But I must say, I truly believe the appeal process is just a legal formality. I might be wrong, but my gut instinct tells me otherwise.

Ironically, I was just about to post a new thread asking for advise or tidbits on the appeal process.

By the way, the job was for NYS Corrections...apparently, one of the easier LE agencies to get into. So you can imagine how I feel (getting DQ'ed and all). Nevertheless, I'm pretty high on several other LE lists. I can't dwell on it much. Maybe these things happen for a reason.
                        Last edited by NewYorker4Life; 04-20-2005, 07:51 AM.

Comment

personal psych experience

was reading some of the statements on psych experiences. heres one to top them all. i am currently a reserve for a 200,000 plus city in indiana. have been a reserve here for 2.5 years, giving close to 1000 hours for service. i am ILEA certified reserve. graduated reserve acadmey given by same city i currently serve as a reserve. academy was approx 400 hours.( no pay no nothing). came time to apply for full time application process. passed everything up until psych test. was sent letter of rejection because i was "not recommended for hire" by the department psych.so i called and tried to get answers, to no avail. was told to contact psych for follow up interview. so finally month later was able to set it up. DR. told me based on my personality traits, i would not perform well in a chain of command type position. (even though i have reserve sgts, lts, and captain. also under direction of full time command when working streets. not one incident of problems.) after telling the doc that i was currently a reserve the doctors response was and i quote"huh, i wonder why it says that" end quote. was also told that based on test, it takes alot to get to me or bother me. i stated i think that is a good trait for a police officer to possess. doctor stated that in combination with the not good in chain of command , is a bad combination. was also told by dept doc that i show traits of drug abuse, and alcoholism, last drink was 4 yrs ago in college, and marijuana was last incident when approx 15( currenty 25) after informing the doc of the last times of usage, the doctor said and i quote" huh, i wonder why it says that". anyone have any comments or suggestions about this situation. i have an A.S. degree in law enforcement, currently ilea certified reserve, and was still turned down... any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. sorry so long...

stay safe and god bless

Comment

Mine came back w/ the alcoholism also and when I explained I have about 1 beer a month it was just waivered. My guess is that it was because I was so darn tired when I took it as the last time I took it, it they had no problems. Get a good nights sleep and eat a good meal the night before and retake the test.

Originally posted by nadster011
                            and alcoholism, last drink was 4 yrs ago in college....
                            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by MJP7083
                              LOL who was your Psychologist Dr. Skotko??
                              I've got friends in low places

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8698 users online. 286 members and 8412 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X