300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paramedic?

I have an interest in being an EMT but also some day becoming a LEO. Do you think paramedic degree/experience would be advantagious for being a LEO? Would it be any more desirable than other experience? Thanks.

Any Professional Certification Or Degree Is To Your Advantage When Your Applying To A Law Enforcement Position. Agencies Are Looking For Individuals Who Take Training And Education Serious. Once Your A Law Enforcement Officer Your Training Never Stops, Good Luck

Comment

I went through medic school a few years ago, and while the medic lic. didnt help in getting the job, showing that I was disaplined enough to go through the schooling, and finish the program is what they liked. They want someone who is goal minded, and can stick to a daily schedual...

Good luck

Comment

Some departments have dual role "public safety officers." Usually beach partol type deparments, and some small cities. You may want to look into that.

Comment

Some also have tri certs fire/police/ems
          We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Being a certified Paramedic would be nothing but good for you in getting a police job, but I would highly recommned against you going to Paramedic school with the sole purpose of becoming a cop.

Being a Paramedic is no mean feat, it involves months of schooling and internships, none of which apply to police work.

If you're interested in becoming a cop and have some EMS interest, become a Basic-EMT to start with. That will serve you much better, without the significant cost of a Paramedic program.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Ex-paramedic

I'm an ex-paramedic who served 10+ years full time both as a city medic and a flight medic. I've found that my certifications in EMS and the fire service have helped differentiate myself from other applicants a little at the interview, however it doesn't necessarily increase your odds of getting hired. Also, if you don't plan on using your paramedic training in an ambulance, don't waste your time going through the rigors of the training. I teach the National Registry and PA DOH curriculi. These programs are both 14+ months of grueling work with tremendous time requirements. Then, once certified the requirements to maintain certification and active status on medical command are also time consuming. Not to mention that the program is far from easy. Your basically expected to become a quasi ER doctor in a little less than a year. I mean your literally being intrusted with peoples lives and the ability to save them. If you plan to volunteer or work part time to maintain the certification best of luck to you. If you don't plan to use the skills then you'd be wasting your time. Without adequate practice you will lose them and forget most of what you learn as a medic.

Comment

As both an officer and emt basic...I would say that being a EMT did help to get me on the dept I'm on now....and as a EMT I've had the opportunity to become a 1st responder/cpr aed instructor for my dept...something which I hope will make me even more marketable to another agency when I move on...I can teach and certify people inhouse as opposed to having a dept send their people out to be trained...As far as becoming a Paramedic and a officer...unless you are going to keep working as a medic on the side or in a specialty unit ie swat or air rescue to keep your skills up I wouldn't reccomend it..There are alot of skills and medication protocols that you need to keep up on as a medic..plus all the continuing education to keep up your certification...EMT basic or even EMT Intermediate may be a better way to go....just a thought
                "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

also it'll help if you're wanting to get on a tactical team
                  We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

I've been an EMT-Basic for 10 years now. While I will say that it helped in me getting my job in LE, it was by no means the only thing that got me there.

Other things just as important (some maybe more so) included:
                    My age and maturity
                    The fact that I'd been at the same FT job for 14 years
                    I put myself through a night academy while working a FT day job
                    Managerial experience
                    Good test scores (both physical, written and oral)
                    A 4-year degree
                    Effective communication and interpersonal skills
                    Volunteer activities

If you want to become a paramedic because you find it interesting and would like to maintain those skills, perhaps on a volunteer or part-time basis after you finish your schooling, I'd encourage you to pursue it. If you want to do it because it'll help you get a job in LE, I think there are far easier ways to do so that will be just as worthwhile, if not more so.
                    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8388 users online. 420 members and 7968 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X