300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about the Detroit PD

If anyone who is currently or previously employed with the Detroit PD could answer a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

How long is the FTO/Probation period?

Hows the equipment situation? Do the rookies get decent duty gear/vehicle or all the crap that's been used for 10+ years?

Also heard there's quite a bit of racial tension within the department and the city, true?

Which districts are busiest?

Thanks in advance.

you go by serpico, does that mean you're a rat?

Comment

I worked for Detroit and loved working there. the job keeps you running from the time your shift starts to the time your shift ends. On the other hand you have to put up with a lot of race issues both with other police officers and command staff. the equipment is the worst ever, some of the cars are in really bad shape hardly runing, you'll find chicken bones under the seats(LOL) pop, and coffee all over the floor boards making everything sticky. Pct's are in really bad shape with stuff falling from the ceilings and walls. But on the other hand theres no place better to be the real police.

On probation for 16 or 18 mnts it starts while you in the police academy tell one year out on the street. the FTO's themselfs only have about 3yrs on the job if your lucky to even get a FTO. When I started there they gave me a partner that I came out of the academy with and a map told us to call if we needed any help.

Detroit right now is going through some very hard times with the mayor scewing everything up and the DOJ watching over the department. The city is getting ready to start lay offs that could hit the ranks of police officers.

Another thing to look out for if you ever want to leave DPD it's sometimes very hard to get hired some place else after working there. I say this because a lot of smaller departments look at the police in Detroit as all dirty cops. .

Comment

Originally posted by Frank the Tank
        you go by serpico, does that mean you're a rat?
        If you are honest & report dirty cops, does that make you a rat?

Comment

yes, a rat's a rat no matter who you report.

Comment

yes, a rat's a rat no matter who you report.

So you are saying if one has information that fellow cops are involved in criminal activity, one should not report it least they be branded a rat?

Comment

i never said that. i just said, no matter who you tell on, you're a rat.

Comment

IAB brings down a lot of dirty cops, but they're still the "rat squad"

Comment

i never said that. i just said, no matter who you tell on, you're a rat.
                  So you are a "rat" for reporting a dirty cop?

Comment

IAB brings down a lot of dirty cops, but they're still the "rat squad"
                    Without investigations into police misconduct to rid the profession of those who are not fit to work along side the rest of us who are honest, do you think we would have very much credibility with the public? I don't know how it is at your shop but at mine IA works very hard to exonerate those of us who are innocent. I know it may not be that way everywhere. It wasn't always that way at my shop. However, IA is only an investigative body. The final decision in regards to case disposition & discipline, if appropriate, lies with the chief of police.
                    Last edited by Stan Switek; 03-17-2005, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I agree 100 percent. IAD at my agency works very hard to clear officers of wrongdoing. I know that I have worked very hard at doing my job and doing it well. It bothers me that there are officers who cross over and tarnish things for the rest of us. If that makes them "rats" as Frank the Tank says, I think his perspective is skewed. Anyone who condones or ignores police improprieties is just as guilty as the person committing them.

Comment

Its a good movie with a great actor, why's this guy breakin my balls?

1134, thanks for the info. I'll probably be sending you a message later with a few more questions.

Comment

SERPICO,
                          I applied for DPD in 2002/2003. After successfully completing all the steps through recruitment, I was given a start date for the academy and provided the academy schedule handbook. I have a friend who works at the 9th precinct and rode with him before applying. Detroit is a very busy city with hard core crime 24/7. The officers do real police work and no petty stuff. That was exactly what I wanted. Recruitment was an eye opener though. I thought I may get a little extra credit for being an applicant who had an exellent record, a city police officer of 5 yrs., a police chief for a small department prior to that, and I started my career working in corrections. I was not an applicant who "didn't know what they wanted". This was my career. Not that I needed any more respect than the next guy. I got none. It seems if you were not a Detroit cop, your nothing. The City in general was a culture shock. Anyway, I was advised that I had to be a Michigan resident when appointed to the academy. This gave me two weeks to move my family to the area. My wife quit her job for my career. I was able to rent an average home in Dearborn for $900.00 a month. After moving on a Fri., I received a call from my recruiter stating that they were now in a hiring freeze and to not report until further notice. It was a period where the City hired a new Chief, and a new Mayor was elected. Luckily I didn't quit my PD job yet because I was waiting to just quit here. At the time there was no option for any notice for your current job. It was take it or leave it. I waited, and waited, and waited. Six months had past, and I was driving 2 hours each way back to my job in Ohio. After checking back with recruitment every two weeks for 5 months, I was told that they hired 32 officers but I was not selected. I then moved back to Ohio. It's disappointing to me when your checking on your status in recruitment and an applicant of a different race walks in to apply with an active WARRANT. The recruiter says," go get this warrant for assault taken care of and come back to see me". This is no joke. This really happened when I was waiting to see my recruiter. Well, after moving back to Ohio, Detroit called and told me I was chosen for the next academy. This was only two months after moving back and I was BROKE! The cost of living there with me being the only household income, and driving 120 miles one way to work will do that. I had to turn it down. Well, about six moths had passed and I reapplied. This was after DOJ had moved in and the recruiters sounded really nice. It was like a different place. I re tested the physical agility and passed, and they did a hole new back ground check. My recruiter told me dates to look forward to regarding hiring but they came and went. I finally got another oral board interview and went to recruitment, on time as always. When I arrived the female officer heading the recruitment asked, "what are you doing here, your scheduled for tomorrow". After a disagreement, I had to let it go. They are always right. But, she called my PD to schedule that where we have Recorded Lines. Long story short, I was right on time for my interview, they scheduled me wrong. During that time at DPD I was also told that I could go ahead and interview since I was there, but my test score have expired so I would have to test all over again. I advised her that I was not testing again and left without an interview.
                          I am not trying to discourage you from applying at DPD. I would have loved to have worked there. Like I said, it is real adrenaline rushing police work. I am just expressing my personal experience with recruitment. I agree with the previous post. My friend has tried to get a job elsewhere and can not. I guess the department has a reputation that reflect on the officers. That's too bad. I met some really good guys when I rode along. I would suggest you a least try to ride one time before applying. Depending on you person, it may be to much. I would also recommend to keep your guard up. Don't believe what you are told. If it happens, it was meant to be. Good luck.

Comment

Po Cass

I worked in the 9th while at DPD and yes it is a very fast past pct. Like I said DPD is a very fun place to work you have to keep your head up at all times.

Recruiting is a joke all the officers there are f**ked up and race is the biggest issue for them most of the officers in recruiting have never worked the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by jjr1134
                              I worked in the 9th while at DPD and yes it is a very fast past pct. Like I said DPD is a very fun place to work you have to keep your head up at all times.

Recruiting is a joke all the officers there are f**ked up and race is the biggest issue for them most of the officers in recruiting have never worked the streets.

Thanks for the responses, fellas. So race is the biggest issue for recruiting. So I take it, a w/m with a hispanic last name is gonna have a difficult time getting in. The entire command staff is almost entirely AA.

Any of you guys know any good departments in suburban Detroit or the St. Clair SO?

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10330 users online. 515 members and 9815 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X