300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job limits due to size and height?

I am a 21-year-old female who has been interested in police work for as long as I can remember. I graduate from college in two years and will have a degree in Criminology and either a double or minor in Sociology. I have been enlisted in the National Guard since 29 April 03 in a MP unit and should be commissioned as a second lieutenant a little after graduation. I am also currently working for a local police department but it is only a student position (Public Safety Officer) and I am worried about trying to get on the force for real once I have completed school. The problem is that I am only 4'11- 5'0 and I know this might cause problems when applying to an actual police department. There are no legit height requirements that I know of but I'm sure I don't fit the "police image". I was wondering just how much of a chance I realistically have and if there is anything I can do to improve it.

Originally posted by edwarjb
    I am a 21-year-old female who has been interested in police work for as long as I can remember. I graduate from college in two years and will have a degree in Criminology and either a double or minor in Sociology. I have been enlisted in the National Guard since 29 April 03 in a MP unit and should be commissioned as a second lieutenant a little after graduation. I am also currently working for a local police department but it is only a student position (Public Safety Officer) and I am worried about trying to get on the force for real once I have completed school. The problem is that I am only 4'11- 5'0 and I know this might cause problems when applying to an actual police department. There are no legit height requirements that I know of but I'm sure I don't fit the "police image". I was wondering just how much of a chance I realistically have and if there is anything I can do to improve it.
    I know a lady in the KCK pd that's only about 5'1" and she's tiny...I think if you can prove your ability, then they won't take your height into consideration.

Comment

I went to school with a girl that is probably right around 5'3"-5'4" and would be hard pressed to be pushing 100lbs.. and she is now a LEO at the department I am applying to!

she is tough as nails, but still very small!

Comment

Originally posted by edwarjb

I believe the Supreme Court said years ago that it's illegal for people to be passed over because of their height/weight.

That having been said. Don't expect a single break because you're a small female. In fact the physical aspect will be more difficult for you because you're a small female so plan on working much harder than the 6'4" 230 lb male. You're still going to be expected to jump the same distance, get yourself over the same size fence, do the same number of pushups/situps and whatever else your department's physical testing requires. And some of the guys will absolutely hate you because of your size. Some of it will be malicious and some of it will be their legitimate worries about whether or not you will be willing and physically willing to help them if they get into a fight.

As far as not projecting the "police image", it's all about your acting ability and your "heart". If you work with officers I would suggest getting to know some of them and asking them what they think about your size and if it's a hinderance to your ability. They will be honest because (if I've said it once, I've said it a million times), they want partners who will be able/willing to fight with them when they need the help.

When I was a 21 year old very small female majoring in CJ and having wanted to be an officer for as long as I could remember I worried about the same things. It took me until I was 27 years old and had worked as a civilian for my local sheriff's office for 2 1/2 years before I got the stones to apply (mostly because of my size). I love it and sometimes kick my own *** because I waited so long. On the other hand.... at 21 years old I definately did not have the "life experience" or maturity (see thread on street smarts vs book smarts) to have been an officer.

The moral is: go for what you want, but realize it will probably be the most difficult thing you've ever done. But don't be in a hurry. You can stay with your military unit and gain some wisdom/experience there and then come out to the civilian police.

Good luck.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about your height. I work for an agency with some smaller females and males. Like the others said just prove yourself and you will have no problems. Good Luck!

Comment

I met an officer from another department that was 4'10" and about 90 pounds. She looked about 12-years-old, and I'm sure she had a hard time establishing herself, but hopefully, she's doing OK.
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
              I met an officer from another department that was 4'10" and about 90 pounds. She looked about 12-years-old, and I'm sure she had a hard time establishing herself, but hopefully, she's doing OK.
              I'd be inclined to be a mother hen around smaller girls.
              But I've seen some smaller girls really kick butt, too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5766 users online. 396 members and 5370 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X