Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by miked6
    Let me be clear for you Jim...

3 people out of 30-50 per class is not very good odds. Also, the three or so that are selected were individuals who were more than likely hired on to UD with every intention of being advanced to an SA class when one became available. It is very unlikely that a guy is just going to be hired for UD and one day decide to become a special agent.

Out of every class there are 27-47 guys who applied to be SA's and were selected because they were the best. Then there are three or so that were hired as UD but were pre-qualified for SA (aka alternates). These guys do there time on UD and if the stars aline properly they get a shot. You can keep trying to refute this all you want, but I just talked to my dad about this less than two hours ago. I am not saying that it isn't possbile, just that taking a UD spot to make SA isn't necessarily quickest route to an SA spot.
    Wow, when did your dad retire???? It's been MANY, MANY years since they had 30-50 per class!! For at least the last 13 years (probably many more than that!) each SA class size has been 24. Now I didn't say only 3 UD get hired EVERY time, I said 3 to 6, sometimes more, sometimes less but 3 to 6 is the average. So those odds really aren't that bad. Also, you have to understand that the overwhelming majority of UD officers DO NOT apply for the SA position. So of the officers that actually apply for the SA position their chances are pretty good that they will eventually get hired. It may take time though when an officer applies because you have to remember that the other UD officers that have applied may have more time on UD, they may be in one of the many specialty programs the UD offers, or they may have taken advantage of the educational reimbursement program the UD has and gone and gotten a Masters or other advanced degree. By the way, there is no "quickest route" to any 1811 position in the federal government, to include the USSS. When a person comes onto the UD and then decides to apply for the SA position he/she definitely did something positive to help increase their chances of getting hired. Not only are they building towards the 3 year required work experience necessary for the SA position but they are also getting something that almost no other applicant can get and that is protection experience. Also, UD officers apply for the SA position just like everyone else, so if they are a part of the 24 trainees then they were one of the BEST qualified of the 24 selected, there are no "alternates". If there were such a thing as alternates then that would mean that if they chose one UD as an "alternate" then there were ONLY 23 people of ALL the applicants that applied that were "the best", so they had to "settle" for one of the UD "alternates". Or, if they decided to "hold" 3 "alternate" spots for 3 UD officers in each class that would mean that they would not be able to hire 3 other people that are supposedly more qualified. Your alternate statement makes no sense and sounds like hogwash to me.

Try and be more clear next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimdvs
      Wow, when did your dad retire???? It's been MANY, MANY years since they had 30-50 per class!! For at least the last 13 years (probably many more than that!) each SA class size has been 24. Now I didn't say only 3 UD get hired EVERY time, I said 3 to 6, sometimes more, sometimes less but 3 to 6 is the average. So those odds really aren't that bad. Also, you have to understand that the overwhelming majority of UD officers DO NOT apply for the SA position. So of the officers that actually apply for the SA position their chances are pretty good that they will eventually get hired. It may take time though when an officer applies because you have to remember that the other UD officers that have applied may have more time on UD, they may be in one of the many specialty programs the UD offers, or they may have taken advantage of the educational reimbursement program the UD has and gone and gotten a Masters or other advanced degree. By the way, there is no "quickest route" to any 1811 position in the federal government, to include the USSS. When a person comes onto the UD and then decides to apply for the SA position he/she definitely did something positive to help increase their chances of getting hired. Not only are they building towards the 3 year required work experience necessary for the SA position but they are also getting something that almost no other applicant can get and that is protection experience. Also, UD officers apply for the SA position just like everyone else, so if they are a part of the 24 trainees then they were one of the BEST qualified of the 24 selected, there are no "alternates". If there were such a thing as alternates then that would mean that if they chose one UD as an "alternate" then there were ONLY 23 people of ALL the applicants that applied that were "the best", so they had to "settle" for one of the UD "alternates". Or, if they decided to "hold" 3 "alternate" spots for 3 UD officers in each class that would mean that they would not be able to hire 3 other people that are supposedly more qualified. Your alternate statement makes no sense and sounds like hogwash to me.

Try and be more clear next time.

Look, I am not going to argue with you anymore. I would think a previous agent would know a thing or two about the process, but It must be nice to know everything there is know about the Secret Service. If I have anymore questions I will let you know. It sure have been nice talking to the next Director.
      "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

• Originally posted by miked6
        I would think a previous agent would know a thing or two about the process, .

well that is the way it is CURRENTLY..... and thats from someone who works for them CURRENTLY.......

why dosen't anyone on this board listen to people that have first hand experance... thats why a lot of people stoped responding

anyway isn't this forum about UD not S/A

Comment

• I would trust getting current info from a current UD officer then a Agent. If I want agent info, I would ask them. The agent program is alittle different then the UD one.

Current class sizes are approx 24. And most people dont make it to graduation lessening the class to about 18 or so. If 3 out of 18 go agent, thats not bad odds.

As the previous poster said, many UD go elsewhere its very common. Either they go agent or they go into another agency. Biggest reason is not the job too much but the quality of life. DC is hard to live in and the pricing on houses is off the charts. If overtime drys up and people depend on it, that can make the job less likable. If you never worked for ther Government or are not used to a protection role vs. a Metro cop role.....the job may not be for you.

They could NEVER have a class size of 40-50. A class that big couldnt fit on the firing range and the class room would be too tight. Take it from someone who actually knows and is current.

Comment

• My Two Cents.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for their comments, suggestions and overall information sharing throughout the process. I just passed my panel today, and learned a lot of great info about UD. Not that I want anything to do with the spirited debate over the possibility of transferring to the Agent side of the house, but I did inquire about it today, and the SAC told me it happens frequently and as far as he was concerned he hopes it continues to happen.

So I have the medical next and I hope the process keeps moving along. You know one has to wonder, with all of the future tests dates for UD posted on the website, there must be a lot of spots. (That

Comment

• Poly

This will not be like any other poly you will take. It is pretty rough. Just be honest. Oh yeah, don't be alarmed but you will not feel great about yourself after the poly, but it will all be worth it when they let you know you're moving on in the process. Good Luck!
              Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• I remember when I took my USSS Polygraph, it took approx 5.5 hours for me. Ive heard others taking anywhere from 3 hours to 7 hours.

You will sweat, you will feel uncomfortable and you will even question yourself even though you may tell the truth which in itself is odd. Its stressful to the core but you need to be honest. If you did drugs say so, give dates and how many times. If you committed a crime say so. And dont try to beat the machine, you will just make it read your lieing.

Comment

• Well folks, I passed the USSS UD exam (that I took on Mar 6th) with a 91%! I am just awaiting the interviews.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

• Congrats

Congrats dude! Hope you get it!
                    -SrA J Hughes
                    United States Air Force
                    Security Forces Patrolman
                    -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

• Thanks, boss!

(PS- that's my brother, btw, hence the same last name)
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

• Exam was easy part....this is the hard part now. Waiting all the months for them to pass your background. From this point it will take a couple months so dont get discouraged.

Comment

• I'm cool. It took over a year when I was processing for the MdTA Police.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jchughes05
                            Well folks, I passed the USSS UD exam (that I took on Mar 6th) with a 91%! I am just awaiting the interviews.
                            Sounds great! Good Luck!

Comment

• Usss Ud

My interview is Apr 6th. Got notified today.

BTW: Does anyone know what the training at FLETC is like for the USSS UD?

Thanks!
                              Last edited by jchughes05; 03-29-2006, 05:15 PM. Reason: added a question

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

• Hello to everyone. I am so releaved to see everyone else in the same place as me with their hopes and dreams on the line everyday waiting to hear....I have been in the application process for some time now. I have done, my panel, poly, medical, bi, security clearnce, and home visit. I have called my field office here in Miami, FL and they let me know that my application is still "waiting for final review". It has been so long and such a grueling process, I must admit. Does anyone know when the Fletc classes are for this year? Any advice? Any tips? I am running again and also working out everyday to get ready. I have read that the USSS gives you a brief amount of time to get ready before you leave for training - 2-3 weeks???? Also, am I waiting for package in the mail, a phone call, what??? Any info would be great since I am almost done and I just found this site!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6938 users online. 375 members and 6563 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X