300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation

After 10 years in corrections I'm wanting to switch over to Law Enforcement. After passing the written and physical tests I'm working on the background check. They want social security numbers on 6 references as well as all my wife's family, parents and 5 siblings. Is this normal and why would they want this? People are kind of funny now days about giving out their social security number. Would the background check be refused with just those blanks not completed? Thanks for any help!

I am honestly not trying to be a smart *** here but are you for real?

The term "Background Investigation" is self explanatory. How can the agency determine your character without interviewing people the who know you?

And to answer your second inquiry about leaving the social security line blank- I would wash them out on the spot (unless it was a typo).

Anyone who intentionally omits the required information on their BI is either:

A. Trying to hide something

B. Too stupid to follow directions
    Last edited by BrickCop; 02-19-2005, 05:05 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I realize they would want to talk to these people but the question was regarding the social security number. Are they going to run criminal checks on all of them? Evidently you're too stupid to pick up on the point of the question.

Comment

I thought he was pretty concise.

Surely you know six people who will allow you to write their social security numbers.

I don't know why the police agency would want them (SSANs), but they do. Are you afraid the police will steal their identity? Come on, YOU applied there; they didn't come to you seeking the information.
        Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matt. 5:9

Comment

The PD requires a social security number for all your brothers, sisters and references? I've never heard of that which is why I misunderstood "the point" of your question. Any MO. cops here that can confirm this?

If thats the case tell your relatives and references to fill out the information as required. If they refuse it will only make more work for your BI (if this info is indeed required).

Do you disagree with my points about an applicant intentionally omitting information?

BTW you are the one asking me for advice so if I'm stupid what does that make you?
          Last edited by BrickCop; 02-19-2005, 06:27 PM.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the dept was using that info to run a quick criminal history on them, or atleast have the info handy if they needed too. After all, you are applying to be a cop. If the agency runs your references and find 3 of the 6 have extensive criminal history, that really doesn't same much about the type of crowd you run with.
            sigpic

Comment

I can see the references but SS #'s for the parents and siblings? That seems a bit much to me but it appears that some PD BIs are more in depth than others.

I stand corrected.

Comment

Yeah, not really sure what they would use the info for on your parents and stuff. One of my BI apps needs all the criminal history of my immediate family. I know they need/want a good overall picture of you and your family, but not sure what difference the fact that my brother got into some trouble as a teenager (over 20 years ago) will make.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prznboss
                  I realize they would want to talk to these people but the question was regarding the social security number. Are they going to run criminal checks on all of them? Evidently you're too stupid to pick up on the point of the question.
                  Brick...he called u stupid.... ...oh no....who cares if they run criminal checks on them...u hiding a fugitive or is your wife an alien from your trip to mexico...then if not...u have nothing to worry about...geez...stupid is as stupid does...
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

In my opinion that is bs. It should be irrelevent what your family and/or friend's criminal history is. Just because your family and/or friends may have, or HAD a criminal record, should never reflect on you. WTF, what are you suppose to do if you grew up in a horrible family and managed to work your way out of their mistakes, to become a respectable citizen. What if your childhood friend became a drug-addict and is associated with the crime related to that lifestyle? What if you did not know of a family or friend's past criminal history? etc.
                    It never fails to suprise me how the law enforcement agencies selects its' employees. All these "hoops" they create just eliminate great potential employees before they even smell the front door and allow the connected and sometimes less qualified (but not always) minorites wash in. I do not blame the police departments, but rather, in most cases, it seems to be the community action groups, lawyers, and politicians who demand this circus they call a hiring process. It reminds me when I took the state trooper written exam and right after your name you were REQUIRED by an examiner to fill in your gender and ethnicity. That is comlpete bs, because the test is for a civil service position and the entire hiring process should (but never will) be blind. Come on, can anyone honestly say that with the exception of perhaps more educated and better trained cops out there today that they can come close to the officers of yester year in terms of character, ethics, loyalty, and performance? I ask you, have these new hiring practices really been effective at other than costing enoromous amounts of time, money?
                    Sorry for going off subject, but just wanted to put in my two cents, for what its' worth.

Comment

Can we say bitter are we???? LE agencies have to "select their employees", its all about the process of getting hired! I mean do u think they should not do a background, pysch, poly on someone? And who cares if you had to put your gender in...thats just for stats, not to be held against you. Chill out man!
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

No, they most surely should do a thorough and exhaustive background check of potential EMPLOYEES, not their families. What stats? If they want stats they should conduct a poll not make it a REQUIREMENT to disclose your race or gender on a civil service examination. Bitter no, disgusted yes.

Comment

Originally posted by peppers8
                          No, they most surely should do a thorough and exhaustive background check of potential EMPLOYEES, not their families. What stats? If they want stats they should conduct a poll not make it a REQUIREMENT to disclose your race or gender on a civil service examination. Bitter no, disgusted yes.

It is not a requirement to give your race, etc....but why be disgusted about it...sooner or later they will know what race you are. And besides, if u are so disgusted by it, why did you fill it out? And they need to check on your immediate family, thats the part of the hiring process and background investigation...get use to it or choose another career to try and go in to!

Comment

I mentioned my stupid past in another thread, but since that's what it is, I have no problem having a microscope up my nether regions.

I have always believed those who protest the loudest have something to hide.

Want some urine for a drug test? How about some hair for DNA too? I have no prob with it.

The people I hang out with now are all upstanding citizens as far as I know.

If your BI wants info, give it. Honesty is the best policy

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the harsh response, Brickcop, but I wasn't expecting to get blasted for asking a question but I realize you didn't really understand what I was asking. I was just dreading asking my wife's brothers and sisters, who I barely know, for their social security numbers here in the days of identity theft, etc. I guess it really wasn't a big deal though. I sent them all an email explaining the situation and they all responded with the numbers. Thanks for the feedback though and I'll go back to working on this 50 page packet!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10324 users online. 514 members and 9810 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X