300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick App question

When applying to a PD, should I include my personal resume, references, and cover letter when applying - in addition to the department-supplied application?

Also - does it make a better impression on the app if it is typed on a typewriter rather than free-hand? I took the time to type out a two-page app tonight, but coming up I have a 18-page app (Woodridge, IL) and if it doesn't matter either way, I'd much rather free-hand that behemoth!

Thanks!

It depends...Some departments take resumes before apps and some agenices take apps before resume...My agency has people turn in a resume with cover letter and then after you pass the exam you get the actual app as part of the background process. So maybe fill out the app and save your resume for the background portion.....
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by Callistobass
      When applying to a PD, should I include my personal resume, references, and cover letter when applying - in addition to the department-supplied application?

Also - does it make a better impression on the app if it is typed on a typewriter rather than free-hand? I took the time to type out a two-page app tonight, but coming up I have a 18-page app (Woodridge, IL) and if it doesn't matter either way, I'd much rather free-hand that behemoth!

Thanks!
      Most agencies on the application and background ask for references. And in a resume you usually include a reference or two anyway. As far as an "impression"...HA...you need to focus on what you have done in your past then worry about have a nice pretty in pink resume made up! If you are applying to seveal agencies, you will not want to type each one unless they require you too.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

My PD specifically stated in the background materials that they didn't want any resumes, or anything else not specified in the background package.

I'd stick with just giving them what they ask for. If they wanted a resume, cover letter, etc., they would have asked for it.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I just figured I'd ask because I was about to drop off an App, but then wondered if a resume would be a good "add-in" (also because I have a resume ready and waiting on my computer at any time, so it wouldn't be any more work then printing it up and throwing it in the envelope).

I'll just hold onto it until later in the process, thanks for the advice

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8123 users online. 375 members and 7748 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X