300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-depressants

On another thread it was mentioned that depression could be a serious problem in getting hired This causes me concern as I was perscribed anti-depressants when I was a senior in high school. Basically I got dumped by my girlfriend and my mom decided that I was depressed and brought me to a doctor. The doctor (not a shrink) gave me a depression test and based on my answers, decided that I was not really depressed, just "in a funk" (his words) but he perscribed me anti-depressants anyway. After being on the medication for about a year and a half I told my doctor to take me off of them. Now it's a year and a half later and I am very happy in life. From what I have learned in my psychology classes I doubt that I was ever depressed and I wouldn't have any problem passing a psyc exam now. I am planning on applying to several medium sized police departments within the next month or so. How much will my mental health history hold me back?

Probably not. I mean thats why you see a shrink during the process and believe me I know of a ton of teens these days that their parents get them to take anti-depressants. You should be ok as long as you are honest and everybody will assist you to their best they can in here. Hope this helps some.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks irishlad, that definatly puts my mind at ease some.

Comment

If your situation is as you have described it, I would be more worried about a cloudy day. Law enforcement agencies are more concerned with the liability of giving a service weapon to someone who has a mental health history consisting of unstability or desires of hurting ones self or others.

Best of Luck,

Puffy

Comment

Thanks Puffy.

Comment

Last edited by xynder; 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7402 users online. 364 members and 7038 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X