300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about POWER exam

I had posted this in the introduction page, but not many people look over there..

originally posted here
    So, I've sent in my first application! The Orientation is March 12th, and that is the day they have the P.O.W.E.R. Test as well.

I feel very confident coming in.. except for one aspect of the physical test. As I mentioned above, I ran Track in college, so the running aspect is absolutely no problem. smae goes for the sit-up test. The Sit & Reach I am still working on, as I have never been all that flexible, but the bench press is what worries me a little.

From what I gathered by searching online, the POWER test takes 98% of your bodyweight and tests how many times you can put it up. This is different from what I heard from the Naperville Deputy that said you only need to put it up once. Since I am more endurance than power (though I have hit the weights hard since graduation) I worry about this aspect of the test. I am 155lbs, so that is 152lbs I'll have to put up multiple times.. I may be lucky if I get 3, but my guess is very onestly only 1-2.

My question for anyone reading this: How much stock is put in each of these tests? Is any one test more important than the other, or do they all "balance out" in the end (thus my running score will vastly overshadow the bench score)?

Thanks in advance!

Until you reach 30, you ARE required to press 98%. But it's once. I don't know if the department YOU'RE going out for checks to see HOW many times you can do it...but the state requirement is ONCE, & that's all I've ever had to do for every department I've gone out for.

And it's not a matter of "one test is more important." If you can't pass one part of the test, you don't pass the test. If you pass them all, you pass the test.

Depending on the department, they might let you come back in a short few weeks to retest. But that's the extent of it. And I wouldn't worry much about the sit-&-reach test, either, if you can do 37 push-ups in one minute...

They have you thrust yourself forward from a lean-back.

Originally posted by Callistobass
    Thanks in advance!
    You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by CPDZone9
      Until you reach 30, you ARE required to press 98%. But it's once. I don't know if the department YOU'RE going out for checks to see HOW many times you can do it...but the state requirement is ONCE, & that's all I've ever had to do for every department I've gone out for.

And it's not a matter of "one test is more important." If you can't pass one part of the test, you don't pass the test. If you pass them all, you pass the test.

Depending on the department, they might let you come back in a short few weeks to retest. But that's the extent of it. And I wouldn't worry much about the sit-&-reach test, either, if you can do 37 push-ups in one minute...

They have you thrust yourself forward from a lean-back.

You're welcome.

I see you are from chicago - I am applying to Oswego (FAR SW Suburb).. It was very vague regarding the bench. No problem with the once @ 98%!

thanks again for the info, I feel very good about this!

Comment

thanks again for the info, I feel very good about this!
        Not a problem, just glad I could help someone.

Comment

In Bolingbrook we only had to do 98% once. It was set on the academy standards and all the PT was pass/fail.
          "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

Originally posted by Titan67
            In Bolingbrook we only had to do 98% once. It was set on the academy standards and all the PT was pass/fail.
            thanks for the post... yeah, I bet it is just the once, just with vague description.

So how does this work exactly? Does everyone just hang out in the weightroom with a calculator and put up the weight, or is it a "circuit" of sorts?

Comment

thanks for the post... yeah, I bet it is just the once, just with vague description.

So how does this work exactly? Does everyone just hang out in the weightroom with a calculator and put up the weight, or is it a "circuit" of sorts?

We tested on Sit-ups, 1.5 mile run, and bench (maybe one other thing), but they split us up in equal groups so that not everyone was sitting and waiting. When it came time to bench (a lot of people were already gone from the run) we had about 20-30 guys with like five benches. You walk in the weight room and they weigh you and they have a chart to that tells them what you're suposed to bench. They call out you wieght and two other cops set the bar as you walk up. It was real simple and far less than I had worried about, they were all there to help you through each exercise.
              "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

good deal.

I was wondering if that was the case.. man, I am glad I have good endurance! going from the run right to the bench is sure to be tough!

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Originally posted by Titan67
                  You're with BPD? I grew up and work Loss Prevention in Bolingbrook. You guys just started a new eligibility list last year, right? So you're process won't open again until 2006 or 2007?
                  Last edited by Serpico; 02-24-2005, 02:25 PM.

Comment

well, this is coming up this week.. I have been working hard the last month and a half, and feel VERY confident about the run, sit-ups, and sit & reach

..but the bench. It's gonna be close.

but I had one more question.. Orientation is Saturday - what do you wear? Shoudl I come readt for a workout, or should I come wearing a tie and shirt and dress pants, and bring a bag with my workout gear?

I guess I am just used to formal job interviews and have never had an "interview" quite like this

Sorry for such a newbie question, but HEY! I am a newbie, and I have questions!

Comment

The good and the "'DOH!"

The good: I did a dry-run of the POWER exam yesterday night.. put up 98% of my bodyweight twice (yes!!!!!), 38 sit-ups, 16 3/4 in the sit & reach, and 10:30 in the mile and a half run. HECK YES. I am ready for Saturday!!!!!!!!

the "'DOH": While running about 10 minutes late today, I am going 50mph in a 45pmh zone. From behind I notice an unmarked - JUST before he flashes me.

"sh*t" would be my direct quote.

The best part: he is a LEO from the DEPARTMENT I AM TESTING AT SATURDAY!

*see above quote*

He was very cool and asked if I had noticed that he was a LEO when I passed him, and I answered honestly "no" - he explained that he had to pull me over because what kind of example would that be to the other drivers around him that knew he was a LEO. I told him I understood, and he just gave me a written warning.

I know it isn't a big deal, but it just makes me mad that I go and do something like this!

But anyway, I am so excited for Saturday now.. if anyone can answer my question on "what I should wear" (my previous post) I would greatly appreciate it!

Comment

The good and the "'DOH!"

The good: I did a dry-run of the POWER exam yesterday night.. put up 98% of my bodyweight twice (yes!!!!!), 38 sit-ups, 16 3/4 in the sit & reach, and 10:30 in the mile and a half run. HECK YES. I am ready for Saturday!!!!!!!!

the "'DOH": While running about 10 minutes late today, I am going 50mph in a 45pmh zone. From behind I notice an unmarked - JUST before he flashes me.

"sh*t" would be my direct quote.

The best part: he is a LEO from the DEPARTMENT I AM TESTING AT SATURDAY!

*see above quote*

He was very cool and asked if I had noticed that he was a LEO when I passed him, and I answered honestly "no" - he explained that he had to pull me over because what kind of example would that be to the other drivers around him that knew he was a LEO. I told him I understood, and he just gave me a written warning.

I know it isn't a big deal, but it just makes me mad that I go and do something like this!

But anyway, I am so excited for Saturday now.. if anyone can answer my question on "what I should wear" (my previous post) I would greatly appreciate it!
                        Bummer!! I have really been watching myself when it comes to speeding too. I have been (knock on wood) ticket free for a long time now so I dont need one a month before the my first test. Cruise control is my friend!

But anyways, I have been watching this thread because you asked a very valid question about what to wear. Here is my 2 cents. I would say it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Do you have an orientation tonight? I have the POWER/written test next month and we have a manditory meeting the evening before so I would suppose that may be an issued that is discussed. So maybe something like Kakhi pants, dress shirt, nice shoes and then bring your running clothes in a gym bag and be prepared to take the running part either inside or outside. (Mine will be at the local high school track outside so I know they say to be prepared to run in whatever weather the day brings.)

GOOD LUCK--Let me know how it goes!!
                        I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinegal
                          Bummer!! I have really been watching myself when it comes to speeding too. I have been (knock on wood) ticket free for a long time now so I dont need one a month before the my first test. Cruise control is my friend!

But anyways, I have been watching this thread because you asked a very valid question about what to wear. Here is my 2 cents. I would say it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Do you have an orientation tonight? I have the POWER/written test next month and we have a manditory meeting the evening before so I would suppose that may be an issued that is discussed. So maybe something like Kakhi pants, dress shirt, nice shoes and then bring your running clothes in a gym bag and be prepared to take the running part either inside or outside. (Mine will be at the local high school track outside so I know they say to be prepared to run in whatever weather the day brings.)

GOOD LUCK--Let me know how it goes!!
                          Hey! thanks for the response!

The warning really isnt a big deal.. I am not worried about it at all, just was frustrating given the fact it was so close to the testing.

The Testing? Oh yeah... I am onto the next round! I am pumped!

I have the written test next Saturday Morning

I went in Kakis (sp?), a charcoal polo shirt, and nice dress shoes - I brought a bag with a ton of workout cloths since it was INSANELY cold and windy today, but we ran on an indoor track. I made sure ot get there early so I could change if I needed to, so I checked in and went to the bathroom t change. I'd say 98% of the people there were dressed to work out, and a few newbies like me "dressed to impress" - some of the LEO's gave me a little crap, so I joked around with them for a little bit.

My group didn't go until last, so I spent an hour and a half sitting around.. that sucked a little, but had NO problem with the test.

We started with the situps (did 37 - pass), went to the sit & reach (reached 18"), bench (put up 145 with ease), and finally the run(9:53 for the mile and a half).

I feel really good, and met some great people - a group of 7 or 8 of us (candidates) were really supportive and I think that helped a lot of us. Afterwards we were walking around and talking and are all excited for next week.

SSgal- feel free to PM with any questions! I'd love to help if I can!

Comment

We started with the situps (did 37 - pass), went to the sit & reach (reached 18"), bench (put up 145 with ease), and finally the run(9:53 for the mile and a half).

I feel really good, and met some great people - a group of 7 or 8 of us (candidates) were really supportive and I think that helped a lot of us. Afterwards we were walking around and talking and are all excited for next week.

SSgal- feel free to PM with any questions! I'd love to help if I can!

Great!! Sounds like you did good. (The website burped again so I hope this doesnt post more than once!!) Bet it feels good to get that over with. So how many people were there total? How did the competition compare to you? Any women applying?

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Comment

help with POWER test

A month from now (April 16th-2005) i will be taking the physical agility test for Hickory Hills. i was wondering if i could get any advice. i havent done any excersises for a long time now. im 20yrs old. 5ft 9in, 140lbs. and about average built. Today (3/17/05) for the first time since Sept of 2004 i ran. I did 1/2 mile jog in 2mins 10sec. But after that i felt like i wanted to die. Does anyone have any advice to help me stay alive for the extra mile? im not to worry about the sit ups because i can do 32 of them in about 40 secs so i think i can push 5 more in 20 sec. sit and reach i can reach passed my toes without a problem. its just the 1.5 mile run and the bench press. thank you Callisto for the earlier chat. if anyone else has any advice on the run and what to eat before the test please let me know or email me at [email protected] or IM me on AIM at Italianmaster1 or Iapaintballbebe1

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7584 users online. 388 members and 7196 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X