300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disqualified?

I am wondering if a couple items will disqualify me in LE. In eighth grade I stole $200 from my uncle. Recently I returned the money to him and apologized for it. Also two years ago while in college I stole a DVD and a video game from a house owner that I cleaned house for. I don't know why I did it and I have changed since then. I hope this doesn't make the department think I have a habitual tendency towards theft. I intend to be fully honest about my background. Will these items ruin my chances in LE? Any comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

It would all depend on the agency to which you are applying. Were charges filed on either of these incidents? In my personal opinion, it wouldn't look good on an application and you would have to do alot of convincing in an interview.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

Some also depends on the class of crime. Here in VA, $200 makes it a felony, and a felony is an automatic DQ with most departments so you would be SOL. Check and see what dollar limit OR has.

Comment

Originally posted by benhowden
        I am wondering if a couple items will disqualify me in LE. In eighth grade I stole $200 from my uncle. Recently I returned the money to him and apologized for it. Also two years ago while in college I stole a DVD and a video game from a house owner that I cleaned house for. I don't know why I did it and I have changed since then. I hope this doesn't make the department think I have a habitual tendency towards theft. I intend to be fully honest about my background. Will these items ruin my chances in LE? Any comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Heres the run down on theft and backgrounds. Does a department want to hire you and have you respond to a burglary and the owner, etc says that you Ofc. (name) stole my necklace...? See there is an integrity issue departments have and well since you stole while cleaning a house even...thats not good. Even though you only mentioned 2 occurances where you stole items, its still two times and as Chespod stated...it could be a felony...
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

We've to get a lot of inquiries like this lately huh irish?

I'll give my routine answer.

What you have to realize in most PDs there is a large applicant pool from which to choose. If all things were "even" between you and another candidate your past mistakes would undoubtedly tip the scale against you. That is assuming you were not DQ'd from consideration in the first place.

You may get a job in LE but as I often suggest, you need to create more time since your last mistake (theft). IMO they cannot be dismissed simply with your declaration that they were youthful mistakes. You need to demonstrate that you are capable of sound judgement and decision making.

Good luck.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Ha I know Brick....
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10188 users online. 499 members and 9689 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X