Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Members Crimes effect Chance of getting hired??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Members Crimes effect Chance of getting hired??

This might seem like a dumb question, but my mom's uncle which is my great uncle I guess, a guy I've saw like 2 or 3 times in my life just committed a violent crime. I was wondering if this would hurt my chances of an agency hiring me due to the face that I had a distant relative flip out and do something completely ignorant.

No, I wouldn't worry about it. There was a cop on my PD whose brother is doing life for murder, and it didn't affect his hiring process.

We did recently DQ a female because her live-in boyfriend is a convicted felon/drug dealer. She wouldn't have been able to have a firearm in the house because of him, so she got dumped.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Alright I was just curious, cause the guy totally flipped out on Sunday night and shot some guy in the chest with a rifle, and I don't want a guy I barely know to end up hurting me in the hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by Soon2BeCop
        This might seem like a dumb question, but my mom's uncle which is my great uncle I guess, a guy I've saw like 2 or 3 times in my life just committed a violent crime. I was wondering if this would hurt my chances of an agency hiring me due to the face that I had a distant relative flip out and do something completely ignorant.

His actions should not have any effect on your application at all. There is a family in our area where there are three brothers two of whom are in LE and the third is a drug dealer (currently doing time) and when number two applied with our agency the fact that his older brother was a convicted felon had no bearing on his application (the older brother was not living with him).

Good luck with the process!

Comment

soon to be,

I would also echo the previous posts. In my experience, the only time that such a family member would hurt you is if there is a close personal relationship enough to cause your hiring agency to believe that it would negatively affect your ability to do the job. A distant relative twice removed would not meet this standard IMHO.

Delta gives a great example of the types of problems that I have seen regarding relationships that affect a backgrouind investigation. Most law enforcement agencies have regulations against associations with known felons ect.

My recommendation is to continue to disassociate yourself from this relative, while being honest about it, making no effort to conceal it during your background investigation.

In then end,"you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your relatives".

No one can hold you responsible for who your relatives are, so long as there is noticeable seperation between you.

Best of Luck,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7747 users online. 392 members and 7355 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X