300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever heard...?

Of someone failing a Psych and applying later on to another police department and getting hired? I ask because I'm taking a psych test for the NYPD on friday and was wondering if I fail it, will I ever have a chance at being a cop? Some have said NYPD gets rid of most of their applicants by Psych DQs, and that if you fail it, you're law enforcement dreams are shot. Others have said if you fail a psych, apply elsewhere, but how realistic is that?

Much of the meaning behind a psych exam is to see if you fit a profile established by the agency. It desires to hire a certain type of personality. Being DQ'd by their process doesn't mean that you're crazy or unfit to serve. It means that you and they aren't a good fit for each other. If they DQ you, keep looking and don't let it discourage you.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matt. 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by Policehopeful
      Of someone failing a Psych and applying later on to another police department and getting hired? I ask because I'm taking a psych test for the NYPD on friday and was wondering if I fail it, will I ever have a chance at being a cop? Some have said NYPD gets rid of most of their applicants by Psych DQs, and that if you fail it, you're law enforcement dreams are shot. Others have said if you fail a psych, apply elsewhere, but how realistic is that?

Do a search on here for NYPD and you will get your questions answered. It is true that NYPD does get rid of a lot of applicants this way, but you have to figure how many they are processing at once compared to other departments. It's not whether you pass or fail. It's how you answer the questions on the MMPI and when you see the shrink. They tell you if you are fit to work in LE for NYPD or not. If you decide to apply elsewhere and you get turned again, well then you may have something wrong, but at the same time you may do something different within the test itself. I am not going to tell you what DQ's you since that should not be discussed here and these questions about PYSCH tests have been dragged on way to much on this forum and a new thread on this subject start every other day.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Like others have said, yes you could still get on another PD assuming you do not fail it (again) or really are nuts. The written questions are as entertaining as they are repetetive.

Then there is the one- on- one interview with the Psychologist. I knew of one Psych up my area years ago who was known for washing people out in droves. He passed me but I was no different that some of those guys he quashed. Many of those guys later ended up having stellar careers in the State and city PD's. Needless to say this Psych Doctor is no longer is used by PDs.

Don't worry this is a routine part of the hiring process, just be yourself and you'll do great. And if that doesn't work have the voices in your head reassure you everything is going to be just fine.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I can think of at least 3 guys just on my shift that failed their psych exams, and won their appeals. No, I'm not one of them.

The trick seems to be, if you get flunked by the psychologist, go get examined by a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a M.D. (medical doctor), while a psychologist is a Ph.D. Apparently, Civil Service is more impressed with the M.D.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
            The trick seems to be, if you get flunked by the psychologist, go get examined by a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a M.D. (medical doctor), while a psychologist is a Ph.D. Apparently, Civil Service is more impressed with the M.D.
            I'm REALLY glad you mentioned that...I was getting ready to go around looking for a psychOLOgist to examine me for my appeal (or more). I'd been told a few times through all the processes to do so, but noone had ever mentioned seeing a psychIAtrist instead.

Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5325 users online. 250 members and 5075 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X