Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Instructor/Leadership experience?

Ok, I've already asked a few local officers this question and have heard both yes and no as a response, but I figure I can get some good opinions and information here. I was in a military-style marching band all 4 years of high school as was a DI as well as Squad leader for all 4 of those years. Would mentioning this in any stage of the process help my chances in any way?

Also, I was accepted to the Naval Academy but declined my appointment for personal reasons. Should I even mention this, or will it be looked upon negatively?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

-Wanna-Be
    Last edited by CHP Wanna-Be; 02-13-2005, 06:28 PM.
    R.I.P. Officer Larry Lasater
    Pittsburg Police Dept.
    Pittsburg, CA

<P ALIGN=CENTER>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
    </script>
    </P>

Originally posted by CHP Wanna-Be
    I was in a military-style marching band all 4 years of high school as was a DI as well as Squad leader for all 4 of those years. Would mentioning this in any stage of the process help my chances in any way?
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but neither would it help. Your BI would probably just say "Oh, that's nice", and that's it. Once you're out of the academy, D&C (drill & ceremonies) goes out the window.

Also, I was accepted to the Naval Academy but declined my appointment for personal reasons. Should I even mention this, or will it be looked upon negatively?
    I feel your pain, as I declined a West Point appointment (because I was an idiot, not for personal reasons). There really is no reason to tell them about this, it's like turning down a job offer. They may be impressed that you passed muster to get an appointment, but I think you'd be better off not mentioning it.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Ok, I've already asked a few local officers this question and have heard both yes and no as a response, but I figure I can get some good opinions and information here. I was in a military-style marching band all 4 years of high school as was a DI as well as Squad leader for all 4 of those years. Would mentioning this in any stage of the process help my chances in any way?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

-Wanna-Be
      I think no as Delta put it. Even if you bring it up about the Marching Band, which that has nothing to do with the hiring anyway, unless they ask you about extra-curricular acitivites in High School. The Naval Academy thing...same thing, I see no reason to even bring it up since again it will play no part in your background, unless asked what you were going to do after HS, etc. Did you at least attend college?
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Yes, I'm in the process of finishing my CJ degree, or "AJ" as my school calls it. I do regret turning down my appointment considering how Annapolis would look on my record, however when the recruiter seems less excited about the place than you do, and is basically talking you out of it, it makes you think twice about what exactly his experience there was. I'm just not sure it was the right thing for me at the time.
        R.I.P. Officer Larry Lasater
        Pittsburg Police Dept.
        Pittsburg, CA

<P ALIGN=CENTER>
        <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
        </script>
        </P>

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7982 users online. 395 members and 7587 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X