300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from the ATL

Hello! I'm new to posting here, but I read on a daily basis. I find some very interesting posts. Some thought provoking, others just down right senseless. Just to tell you a little about myself, I am a nine year police veteran in the Atlanta metro area. I am presently assigned as an SRO, but looking to move onto greener pastures. I am interviewing with several of the fed agencies, and can not wait to get away from GA. I have outgrown what local law enforcement in this area has to offer. If anyone can assist me with info on the Supreme Court Police, Capitol Police, and the Pentagon Police, I would greatly appreciate it.

I work for DC city police and I am somewhat familiar with these agencies. I think Capitol is far and away the best of the three. They are well equipped and (I believe) well trained. Also they have some patrol responsibilities in the Capitol Hill area. The area has robberies and burglaries. Also if you want to work you can get plenty out of traffic stops. CPD has all sorts of specialized units. Maybe 2 years ago they were shorthanded and had plenty of OT. Some of it was mandatory which was not popular. Dont know if that's still the case. They were offering officers from my dept good money to lateral over, but I dont know the specifics. When you start you will be walking for awhile. Around the Capitol there are several cops on every corner. They have a lot of fixed posts. I think they work the same schedule as Uniformed Secret Service. 2 hours on post, 1 hour on break or something similiar.

Supreme Court PD stands around the Supreme Court. I dont believe they have any other responsibilities. Pentagon PD is also more security-like. Guarding the Pentagon and grounds. I know they have cruiser patrols, but on their property. Neither job would be like local policing. A coworker is processing for Pentagon, but he wants to stand at a door all day. He is already retired from another PD.

There are a lot of federal PD's in DC (of course). Most of them are more like building protection than local police. It is a whole different job. Dont assume federal is better, more exciting etc..

Comment

I really do appreciate the information you have given me. I like the DC area, but the COL scares the hell out of me. The home that I have here in ATL is 2.5 times that price in DC. Would a commute from the Richmond metro area be unrealistic? I would appreciate any information as it relates to suburban DC areas to live on a cop's salary.

Comment

It would be unrealistic. Richmond is about 100 miles south of DC. With traffic on 95 it could take 3 hours one way. COL is crazy here. A decent house in a safe MD city is minimum 350k. I know a few people who drive 45- an hour each way. If you like city living Baltimore is cheap, although not overly safe. Only 35 miles away.

Comment

Richmond PD is taking laterals if you aren't set on feds.

Myself and several others were looking at the Atlanta PD lateral program. I know APD is screwed up but we are used to that here. Looking more at quality of life. Any thoughts on pay vs COL, advancement into specialized units etc. Anything really good or bad about APD?
          Last edited by dcpolice; 02-13-2005, 06:09 AM.

Comment

SROCOP,

Have you ever thought of going to the federal agent side of the house? A lot of federal agencies could hire you in and keep you in Atlanta, at least for a while. Then if you needed to relocate, the government would pay to move you and your family free of cost. They pay expenses like closing costs for selling your home and house hunting expenses to your new post of duty.

Just kind of currious why you would want to leave a local police job for another uniformed police job in the federal system. Most of the federal police I talk to want to do just the opposite.

Have you considered simply changing departments, even in other states?

Best of Luck,

Comment

Originally posted by dcpolice
              Richmond PD is taking laterals if you aren't set on feds.

Myself and several others were looking at the Atlanta PD lateral program. I know APD is screwed up but we are used to that here. Looking more at quality of life. Any thoughts on pay vs COL, advancement into specialized units etc. Anything really good or bad about APD?

I haven't looked into Richmond PD, but that's a thought. As far as APD is concerned, there are a lot of opportunities in that department. The new chief is desperately trying to clean things up. I have a few buddies working for APD. COL is not bad down here, although some of the cities on the north side mirror DC as far as home prices are concerned. The quality of life is definitely better, but traffic is just about as bad as DC traffic. If I'm not mistaken, you have to do 1.5-2 yrs before applying to specialized units. There are plenty of specialized units over there. APD's lateral program has also taken quite a few officers from Cincinnati PD and Nashville PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Puffy6460
                SROCOP,

Have you ever thought of going to the federal agent side of the house? A lot of federal agencies could hire you in and keep you in Atlanta, at least for a while. Then if you needed to relocate, the government would pay to move you and your family free of cost. They pay expenses like closing costs for selling your home and house hunting expenses to your new post of duty.

Just kind of currious why you would want to leave a local police job for another uniformed police job in the federal system. Most of the federal police I talk to want to do just the opposite.

Have you considered simply changing departments, even in other states?

Best of Luck,
                I would love to try the federal agent side of the system. I thought about USSS, DEA, and ATF. I was under the impression that I would be moving my family all over the country every four to five years. If I could stay here for a few years, then I would definitely consider it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7921 users online. 437 members and 7484 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X