Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistance?

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old with a B.A. in Criminal Justice. I curretnly live in Collier County, Florida and have been looking for a law enforcement job for almost 6 months. I have had a few interviews (one with a local organization another two with Federal agencies) and am still in the process with a federal agency. I haven't had that much luck finding a LEO job so far because a) I have no training/certification and b) My list of driving offenses is a little long. No DUI's or Wreckless but just speeding tickets from when I was in high school mostly, last one was June '03. Never used drugs, never been arrested, never been in trouble. Should I take the hint or keep plugging away at applications?

Thanks alot

I don't know Florida requirements, but if you need certification before applying for most places, find an academy and go. I know you already have college, but so did I before I went to the Academy (CO). If you do not need certification, THEN KEEP PLUGGING ALONG!! It is a long haul, but worth it if that is what you want to do for a living!

Good Luck!
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

lol.... six months.. man i wish... if thats what you call persistance. keep it up man... after almost five years of trying i've finally got on with the department i've been trying for.. never give up... if they tell you know.. just keep applying.. that is unless they can give you a good reason why they are telling you no.. but i'm a stubborn sob anyhow...

good luck (but never rely on luck, its all up to you baby)

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I would say that 60-70% of the officers on this site waited for at least 6 months to even get a call back. It took me almost 2 years to get a call back much less an interview, and I also had a spotless record with a 4yr degree (BA-Management). Try a Sheriff's Office and work in the jail to get your feet wet with the very same people you'll see on the street and arrest time and time again. In TX you can be a Correctional Officer at 18yoa-not sure about FL. Once in the jail you could 1)Be sent to an academy by your department or 2) Go to the academy on you own while working in the jail-it's tough but if I can do it anyone can, you'll just be exhausted for about 8 months! Good luck!
        The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by AndyM81
          Hello,

I'm a 23 year old with a B.A. in Criminal Justice. I curretnly live in Collier County, Florida and have been looking for a law enforcement job for almost 6 months. I have had a few interviews (one with a local organization another two with Federal agencies) and am still in the process with a federal agency. I haven't had that much luck finding a LEO job so far because a) I have no training/certification and b) My list of driving offenses is a little long. No DUI's or Wreckless but just speeding tickets from when I was in high school mostly, last one was June '03. Never used drugs, never been arrested, never been in trouble. Should I take the hint or keep plugging away at applications?

Thanks alot
          I would suggest putting yourself through the academy and taking the state test. I mean you will have to go through it one way or another and no matter what you will still have to be certified. I too live in Florida and can tell you its going to be awhile before you get a call back but, if your really and trully wanting it then take the time your going to be waiting and go through the academy get your cert and this way you won't have to do it later on. Doing that and having the B.A in CJ will help it move faster.
          I've got friends in low places

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4780 users online. 228 members and 4552 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X